What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

Years ago I had friends who got divorced so the spouse could go on state insurance for an organ transplant. At the time I thought it was wrong and didn't understand why someone would give up their marriage.

Fast forward ten years and I'm literally in the same boat. Now I understand but I don't know what to do. Being married is literally costing me my health.

Would you get a divorce if it meant you had medical coverage and access to doctors again? I've contacted the drug companies and don't qualify for their help. I've also been told that if I ever need to file for disability I won't be approved if I haven't been to the doctor and taken my medicines.

Give us an idea of what you've tried... Maybe we can come up with some additional resources.

Comment

I'm all about being frugal so yes while it would make me sad if it benefitted us financially to divorce I would do it.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by garrysgirl View Post

Would you get a divorce if it meant you had medical coverage and access to doctors again?
        Stressful choice to make.

10 years ago I had to make the same choice.
        I am still married today. (to the same lady)

I don't know if it was the correct choice as we are broke now, but it just seemed too depressing to get a divorce.

So we are still together and financially ruined....but if we were divorced we would probably be living like divorced people by now?

It is depressing to have to consider such drastic measures.

This is a questian you have to answer with your head and still keep your heart content. (not easy to do)

Personally I would rather eat dog food and have my wife.
        But if I have to watch her eat dog food...that's much more difficult.

If you are worried about what is morally correct?
        I don't think there is a "moral high-ground" on this one.
        People should not be forced into these situations.

If you don't divorce there is a good chance you will end up poor.
        If you do divorce there is a good chance you will end up divorced.
        Poor or Divorced???

(there is always a chance you could end up poor and divorced? so i guess there is at least 3 choices?)

Comment

Thank you for the replies so far. I tried contacting the drug company that makes my antidepressant but they go by W2's from last year so I don't qualify. There are no programs for the headache medication I need. Welfare won't help me because I'm married.

I'm not really worried about bankrupting us medically because I've always been poor. I just want to be able to go to the doctor and get a prescription filled. Heck I can't even go to the doctor to address the new issues I'm having. At least MS lifelines if providing my Rebif so I do have something to be greatful for.

Comment

How about hospital charity care? They don't always require you to be on public assistance programs and you can sometimes get PCPs through their affiliated physicians.

Comment

I will look into that heliotrope! I know my local hospital has a program that pays for hospital stays if your a certain income level. Maybe they would have some other kind of assistance? Thanks!

Comment

I will look into that heliotrope! I know my local hospital has a program that pays for hospital stays if your a certain income level. Maybe they would have some other kind of assistance? Thanks!
                I wouldn't be as concerned with getting care because the truth is no hospital can turn you away from an ER but the chance of being without income to pay your bills if/when you can't work any longer would make me sick with worry.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

They might! Just make sure to keep asking. I just spoke with the coordinator for my unit at my local hospital. I know I'd be denied for state care, but she was pretty sure that I'd still qualify for free care (it's income, not savings based)...

Comment

There are no programs for the headache medication I need.
                    Does Immitrex work?
                    If so, I get it at walmart in generic for $17.00?

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                      Does Immitrex work?
                      If so, I get it at walmart in generic for $17.00?
                      I tried immitrex years ago and had a bad reaction. My neuro actually has me on a seizure med for my headaches. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Comment

At the time I thought it was wrong and didn't understand why someone would give up their marriage.
                        Just curious...did they give up their marriage, or just that little piece of paper (i.e. marriage certificate)? There is a world of difference! Of course, religious factors play into this too, but for me personally, probably not.

Lots of widowed seniors find themselves living together instead of getting married for the similar reasons. There is no general rule of thumb here. There are several considerations as this thread is exposing quickly!

Sorry you're going through this.
                        Tawanda

Comment

[QUOTE=Tawanda;1276455]Just curious...did they give up their marriage, or just that little piece of paper (i.e. marriage certificate)? There is a world of difference! [QUOTE]

That is my question too. I mean, I wouldn't want to give up my "little piece of paper" either, but if I could continue to be married to my husband in every other way, then I think I could do it (but it's always easier to say than to do, isn't it?)

Comment

Thank you for the replies so far. I tried contacting the drug company that makes my antidepressant but they go by W2's from last year so I don't qualify. There are no programs for the headache medication I need. Welfare won't help me because I'm married.

I'm not really worried about bankrupting us medically because I've always been poor. I just want to be able to go to the doctor and get a prescription filled. Heck I can't even go to the doctor to address the new issues I'm having. At least MS lifelines if providing my Rebif so I do have something to be greatful for.
                            Another idea... Have you told your doctor you can't afford your meds? If so, have you asked if he/she can scare up samples? Some doctors can and some can't, but I've sometimes been able to get a two month supply of meds that way.

Comment

My neuro actually has me on a seizure med for my headaches.
                              Could you ask your neuro for some samples?

Years ago, (when my cobra had expired and medicare had no drug coverage), I explained my problem to my neuro.
                              She responded by giving me a bag full of free "samples" every month or two that I could use.

The sample drugs come with a ton of packaging and it seems wasteful, but I got my meds.

What kind of seizure's are you experiancing? Is there more than one drug that works or helps?

There are lots of different migrane meds out there and (lucky for me) I seem to tolerate most pretty well.
                              I would go thru some Immitrex, then some Axert, then some Maxhalt, then some others I can't remember right now, but I would get thru untill I saw her again.
                              Perhaps your neuro could do a similar thing for you if you ask and promise to be descrete about it.

It was an easy soloution to my problem without jumping thru alot of hoops. I just had to call when I was running low and stop by her office to get my meds. (no copay, she would not charge me for an appt. very cool!) I did this program for years untill an affordable (generic immitrex) became available.

Could something easy like that work for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X