Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody have emergency buttons (life alert)??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody have emergency buttons (life alert)??

Hi, I was wondering of anyones experiences w/ those panic buttons you see on tv (they usually advertise for elderly who've fallen type). I also want to know as Im an ms'r.

My parents need one badly but do they run on phone lines?
    Some nut is cutting phone lines and home invading the elderly in their area.

My dad is very ill too so they need it two fold.

My mom hates cell phones (has a pay as you go but has a terrible time using it).

What brands do you use and are they expensive, are they nice and workable..do they run on phone line?

Thanks

I did a little goggling, since I don't have one myself. All the ones I looked at do need a phone line, but I did find this: http://www.lifewatch-usa.com/cellula...FUGo4AodpWQ8Gg

Never used them, so I can't say they're worth while. They say there's no long term contracts and there's a 30 day guarantee, so maybe they're worth a try.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I use Life Alert, and yes it works over the land line. Mine also has a smoke detector. I really like it.

Grace

Comment

I have my CELL phone programed for quick dial of 911 for emergencies. Some cell phones are made with a default quick dial for 911, you simply press and hold the '9' button dial to call 911.

I travel a lot so its handy for ANY emergency ANYWHERE I may be, not just at home. the only time I do not have my cell phone in easy reach is in the shower. I do have grab bar, seat etc in the shower, bit it's an area of higher than usual risk for falls. (my weak link, so to speak).

We live at the bottom of a hill on a sharp curve, so our hard wired phone get taken out once in a while. Being in the snow belt means we have people SLIDE down the hill and hit a local phone junction that serves several houses near by.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

My security system has buttons for fire and medical along with break in. I also have remotes that can be carried from room to room however, the alarm system is connected to my phone which is Comcast so it is not a phone line per se.

When the lines are cut that would give the company monitoring the service a que to make a phone call. Since they won't receive an answer because of cut phone lines they would send the police.

Comment

That is horrible I just wanted to wish you luck in finding some thing soon.

Comment

Yes I have used it briefly after last hospitalization. It does connect to landline and picks up signal up to 50 feet so outdoors as well. That was a comfort in case I fell outdoors and had no one to help me back up.

When you push the button, they will answer you via the speaker. But if you do not answer, they will summon 911. Otherwise if you answer and can tell them where you are in home and what is wrong..they will begin to call your desiginated #s. (family, neighbors, friends).

Also you have to test it from various rooms in your home in order for them to determine if they can HEAR you or not. If you would press button but they cannot hear you.. again they will send 911 to check on you.

Its based on income and zip code area. About $40 a month..very worth if it you live alone like I do.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

None here, do have a prepaid cellphone that I put in my pocket when I take the dogs out in case I fall.....Family checks up on me alot. Since I am alwAYS on FB, if dd does not see me, she calls, then calls dh if I do not answer phone. If he cannot reach me, he comes home to check on me. I rarely take showers during the day anymore, I wait till dh cmes home or grandkids are over. They are 8 and 9, but quiet capable of dialing 911 if I fall in the shower.

I have thought about those systems, this will be an intereting post.

JudySz

Comment

My mother used one and it was wonderful. She had a very weak voice, and a horrible time with buttons, but Life Alert (although I believe we used LifeLines) was wonderful. It worked via her phone line and could be easily heard anywhere in her house or outside. Unfortunately it was used quite a bit as she fell numerous times. The LifeLines organization had a phone tree to contact, it wasn't auto to 911, but they would speak to her to find out the emergency and from there who to call. Frequently they called all three daughters, and they always followed up with what had happened, the outcomes, etc. I live out of town and it was wonderful for me.

Comment

Thank you everyone Mom is researching the possibilities now and for now is using the cell phone idea, since even non activated ones dial 911 (we tried it they were nice about it).

Thanks for the well wishes cinderelly It is really frightening. Ive been praying for them hard!

They live in a resort area but this is off season. (they are about 15 min from the beach inland. Its not a bad area and not terribly upscale either. Guess this stuff happens anywhere.

From reviews Ive read life alert seems to get thumbs up.

I really appreciate everyones input on this thanks

Comment

I think she had a call from alert 1 and lifeline, lifelines prices were right for her. And some local one too. I will update on this at some point ahead

Comment

Working...
                      X