Stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff

Ugh. The last five days, I've been waking up insanely stiff from. My head is heavy, stiff neck, my hands and fingers, arms, legs, feet and toes.

I can barely pick my head up I'm so groggy and stiff. I have to make the effort to get up slowly, and have someone help me get to the bath tub to help loosen me up a bit. The hot bath helps, but of course it makes other symptoms stem so then I'm dizzy, overheated, and in pain afterward.

The stiffness lasts for a few hours. Taking a muscle relaxant helps, but I don't like feeling more drowsy than I already am.

Just needed to vent. What do some of you do for this type of thing?

Hi jamilea,

Stiffness is part of what is known as spasticity. Muscle relaxants are the most common medications used for treatment.

Non-medication options: stretching exercises. The stretching exercises I use I learned in PT. I use resistance bands, a ball, leg lifts, a nylon strap that does not "give," hand weights and ankle weights.

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has information and diagrams for stretching which might help get you started:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/download.aspx?id=331
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have the same thing every morning.

I stretch as much as I can before I ever get out of bed (the body yawn). Then take a hot/pretty warm shower, until I feel a little better and then turn it to cold to cool my body temp down before I get out.

I have to drop my kids off and go to work, so taking a muscle relaxant isn't an option for me in the mornings. I take one every night. Can't really say that the stiffness is any better in the mornings though. However, it does help the spasms at night that seem to make the achiness worse the next day.
      , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

My neuro said some of the stiffness I have lately is weather related as well. I wake up so stiff it hurts to move. Stretching is definitely the answer. I am starting PT again next week. Feel better.

Comment

Working...
        X