neurogenic bladder and self cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neurogenic bladder and self cathing

I recently have started to have to self cath about 4 times a day. I was taken off my med for over active bladder because they said my bladder muscles are already weak. I have the urge to go every 15 to 30 mins even with cathing. I'm scared to leave the house. It don't be much when I go and I don't have a uti they checked when they did my test and I take daily antibiotics.

To others who have to cath did you experience anything like this in the beginning? Its been 3 days so far. Any advice please. Thanks guys.
    "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Unlike you, I had bladder retention that lead to eventual overflow. That being said, in the beginning of my cathing experience I had the same problem as you.

After cathing, don't simply pull the cath out. Instead, very slowly pull it out in order to allow any additional bladder contents to empty. I usually pull it out just a half inch or so, and get more urine---then another half inch and still more. Once I get to the bladder sphincter (you will feel the resistance) I pull it out all of the way. It totally resolved the problem.

Grace

Comment

Thanks for the tip on slow removal. I have noticed sometimes that more will come out while pulling it out. I hope going slower will help. This is driving me crazy. I use a walker due to left side weakness and running to the potty 4 time an hour is exhausting.
      "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

Working...
      X