Itching, itching, itching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itching, itching, itching

Does anyone have itching as a symptom? Is there anything that I can do to relieve it?

I had my 3rd MS flare at the end of October. Along with severe numbness, my right arm has been itching. I scratched my arm raw when it was numb and couldn't tell how hard I was scratching. The numbness has mostly gone away, but the itching hasn't. It's driving me nuts! Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

I had the itchiness when I had a flare a couple of months ago. It last for about 4 weeks and was just about to try neurontin when it finally went away. Nothing I tried help, I tried hand lotion, ice, benadryl, it was useless and extremely infuriating. I hope it goes for you like it did for me, otherwise neurontin might work but it will take several weeks to reach an effective dose. Good luck.

Comment

I'll have to ask my dr about taking that if it doesn't stop. I mentioned the itching at 2 different appointments and he's never really responded. Might have to get more aggressive with him.

Comment

YES!!! I had this problem in the summer...My itch was a all over body itch..I even went to the hospital because i was going insane..I saw my family doctor who prescribed 20mg of reactine 2x a day and some other medication that was supposed to keep inflammation out of my stomach lining..it worked..And I was not having an allergic reaction anything...

Comment

I have had the same problem since June. It is driving me crazy too. My neuro says it is neurological and he had me try a few things but nothing help. He didn't really take it seriously until one day I had an appointment with him and I scratched my way through the entire hour. He must have thought I was a baboon. Only then did he get interested in trying to resolve it. He also referred me to dermatology.

He did have me on an antihistamine for several months. Have you tried that yet? They had me change my laundry detergent, soaps, shampoos, etc. I use lotion after every shower and the shower should not be too warm or it will make the itching worse.

If you find a cure, let us know.

Comment

Klonopin at night, keeping busy during the day...

I am an itcher. It comes and goes, and the season doesn't matter (because everyone itches in the winter it seems!). I use Klonopin at night so the itching doesn't keep me from getting a good night's sleep, and deal the best I can with it during the day (lotions, oil of oley body wash, cream rinse in my hair). As for all M.S. symptoms, it helps to keep busy because you can almost forget about them for a time. For me, the Klonopin at night is a must when it is me alone in bed with nothing but my symptoms to think about. I also have the t.v. turned down low as I go to sleep because it seems to serve as another needed distraction at this time.
            Tawanda

Comment

Well I am glad to know that I am not crazy! My DH always try to tell me it is dry skin (Colorado is quite dry!) My neuro kind of just dismissed it. I try my best to ride it and remember that it may be better tomorrow!

Comment

i seem to wake up some mourning and my hands or fingers are itching like crazy. after a shower it seems to go away or i try not to think about it. but now since i am typing about it, it will happen now. lol
                Billy
                Dx: 09/2004
                09/2011- oooppppssss still have it.

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                  I have had the same problem since June. It is driving me crazy too. My neuro says it is neurological and he had me try a few things but nothing help. He didn't really take it seriously until one day I had an appointment with him and I scratched my way through the entire hour. He must have thought I was a baboon. Only then did he get interested in trying to resolve it. He also referred me to dermatology.

He did have me on an antihistamine for several months. Have you tried that yet? They had me change my laundry detergent, soaps, shampoos, etc. I use lotion after every shower and the shower should not be too warm or it will make the itching worse.

If you find a cure, let us know.
                  My neuro just kind of acted like I didn't even mention it the two times I've brought it up. I've got another appointment in April and if I'm still scratching, I'm going to aggressively question him about it. I know it's not an allergic reaction or anything like that, it only started with the last flare and it's only my right arm. At the beginning of the flare it was the whole arm and hand, now it's just the outside of my arm just above the elbow, but below the shoulder. I'm sure everyone I work with must think I've got some horrifying skin disease, I'm clawing at my arm all the time.

Comment

Hi nixiepixie

You may be interested in this article about Itching from the National MS Society.

http://nationalmssociety.org/about-m...ing/index.aspx

Take care,
                    KoKo
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Nixiepixie,

Dysesthetic itching was my first abnormal sensation, and occurred for several years before my diagnosis. It is neurological and benedryl is useless for this type of itch. No rash, nothing apparent on my skin, just intense itching that would come and go! It was awful and the only thing I could do was "freeze" the area with ice until it passed back then. My primary dr. was clueless, but the neurologist knew immediately what it was.

Koko's link explains this symptom and different medications prescribed for it. I take Neurontin (generic is Gabapentin) for this and it helps calm my intense itching. Thank goodness for meds ... I'd have gone crazy by now without them.

Pester your neuro!!!

Best wishes.
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                      X