IV-IG to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV-IG to start.

Hello to all. I am new here and writing for DH newly diagnosed January. Neuro asked if the outpatient treatment had been considered. What RX or treatment did others here start on?
    We won't know until MRI done in April if it is progressing, and the infusions side effects are unknown as well. Any feedback is appreciated. So glad I found this site!

IVIG was a last-ditch option of me (did copaxone, betaseron). Works great, but it's a long session (3 hrs).

Comment

IV Solu-medrol

Just saw my neuro today. Dx of probable MS with Systemic Lupus. Both he and my rheumatologist are going to start me on Solu-medrol IV for 5 days, then taper with prednisone. Hopefully, that's all I will need for now.

Comment

Originally posted by gmahoney View Post
        Just saw my neuro today. Dx of probable MS with Systemic Lupus. Both he and my rheumatologist are going to start me on Solu-medrol IV for 5 days, then taper with prednisone. Hopefully, that's all I will need for now.
        If that's the same IV-IG hubby's neuro recomended, my Mpm has this treatment for her Myasthenia Gravis (I understand from nurses at outpatient hospital) they use this alot on Lupus and it is wonderful for that also. My Mom is 92 and strong as an ox afterward. Hubby's treatment would have to be over lunch hour or other. I hope YOU TOO will benefit from it for Lupus. Blessings.

Comment

Hi pnutbutrnchoc:
          IVIG isn't usually the first treatment given for MS. Usually the first line of treatment is one of the CRAB drugs, with IVIG used as an add-on. (Technically, though, some people's first treatment is steroids because they first present with a significant exacerbation. Then they start one of the CRABs.) When I had IVIG, it was an add-on to Avonex. Different doctors have their own rationale for how they decide on treatments for individual patients, so your DH's neuro obviously has reasons for wanting to start with IVIG.
          Originally posted by pnutbutrnchoc View Post
          Hubby's treatment would have to be over lunch hour or other.
          It will have to be a really long lunch hour. In contrast to IVSM (Solu-Medrol steroid) infusions, which can be done in less than 45 minutes, IVIG infusions are long and slow. It isn't unusual for initial infusions to take 5 to 6 hours. Subsequent infusions also take (sometimes much) longer than an hour. Best to check with the neuro and/or infusion center and plan accordingly.

Comment

Working...
          X