Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather

Hello Everyone,

I know that every climate is or isn't great for individuals with MS. Is there a particular state that it has the best climate for people with MS!

I moved from CA to NC 5 years before I was diagnosed. The humidity in the summer kills me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a Bunch
    Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
    Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
    He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

Alaska!

I'm in Oklahoma and the summers here are killer too. Luckily, I have a cooling vest that helps keep me sane. I don't know what I would do without it!
    Rae Roy

Comment

I live in Georgia. Been here almost 5 years. I do fine out in the heat for short periods as long as I know I can go inside to the cool air.
      It is best to not get overheated.
      This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Thanks Everyone!!!
        Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
        Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
        He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

Comment

I'm in Oklahoma too. We have COLD winters and HOT summers! I just learned (yesterday) to limit my time outside in the winter. I lost the use of my left arm, but it slowly came back thank God!

I'm not sure yet how summers will affect me.
          , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

I am in Washington State.
            Just last weekend I was at a MS Society program and the speaker was saying how our MS chapter is the largest because so many MS folks live here. We have very mild (chilly LOL) summers, most people dont even have air conditioners.

They dont seem to know if we have lots of MSers because the environment here helps to "cause" MS or if it is because people move here for the coolness? When I say coolness I mean the temp, even though Seattle is very cool in itself. Last summer we did have a heat wave for about a week. It got up to like 85 I think. After it was over we went back to our normal around 70. The thing is at night it can get down to 55-60 so it stays cool most of the morning, gets warm around 3:00pm then starts cooling around 5:00pm. Works for me!

CrazyCatLady
            MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Adrian, I hate to hijack your thread but...

Thankful2B,
              What part of Oklahoma are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
              Rae Roy

Comment

California tends to have very low humidity, North Carolina in the non-mountainous areas can be extremely humid. The Pacific Northwest has higher humidity than most of California, but it is usually much cooler. Choosing an area to live is a tough choice.

I have been looking at places for a few years, some promising stuff. For the most part, Pittsburgh has pretty good weather, is getting hotter average in the summer though.

Cloudcroft, NM was highly recommended by Tom at NASA, but it is a very small town place, less than 1000, so very few services. But, it is a very beautiful area. Seems everything along the line of services is in Alamogordo, summer is 'hell on earth' hot. I have found Burlington, VT to be a good choice, has a very good University with Medical.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
                  I am in Washington State.
                  Just last weekend I was at a MS Society program and the speaker was saying how our MS chapter is the largest because so many MS folks live here. We have very mild (chilly LOL) summers, most people dont even have air conditioners.

They dont seem to know if we have lots of MSers because the environment here helps to "cause" MS or if it is because people move here for the coolness? When I say coolness I mean the temp, even though Seattle is very cool in itself. Last summer we did have a heat wave for about a week. It got up to like 85 I think. After it was over we went back to our normal around 70. The thing is at night it can get down to 55-60 so it stays cool most of the morning, gets warm around 3:00pm then starts cooling around 5:00pm. Works for me!
                  I agree! I have lived in many different places and the pacific northwest has been the best! Yes, the humidity is high because we get a lot of cooling rain, but it is refreshing, IMHO. The heat doesn't last long and when it's hot, there are plenty of parks, trees, forests, lakes and ocean access to stay cool. Don't think I could live anywhere else!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'd guess the lovely winters in Cleveland isn't the best for me, but the summers aren't too bad. It's usually not too humid and the humidity is worse for me than the cold. The humidity is just draining. Other than the slush and ice, the winters aren't even that bad (says the girl who has lived here her entire life). We are just so used to it, we know how to cope.

I would love to live in Minnesota, I've never seen a prettier state, but I don't think that I could deal with the cold at this point. Snow is one thing, 30 below is another.

I should add, I wouldn't move away from Cleveland now just because I like the security of knowing we have some of the best hospitals and doctors around. I'm selfish like that!

Comment

To RoyaleMSer

Hi! I live in Central OK - Moore, just south of OKC.
                      , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

Working...
                      X