If you could change your home espec. bathroom what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could change your home espec. bathroom what

My DH and I are adding onto our home. Our family room is at the end of our home and we're making it larger by connecting it to the separate garage. The space will end up being about 700 sq ft. and I'll likely spend a lot of time out there as the computer will be moved, the tv etc. Less stuff to fall over/into as well. As it is, it has several steps, very little light and just not a welcoming space. That will all change.

We're adding a new bathroom into the space. Any suggestions on how to build the bath for future problems? Anything you'd add given the choice to make a space more comfortable more convenient?

At this time, my balance is bad and my legs are weak but I may or may not get worse over time; who knows?

I want to put in an adaptible bathroom but I"m not sure on size or how to figure out easy access etc. There will be a few stairs from the garage into the house. And a few from the new room into the old house. DH wants to put in ramps but I"m not sure I need or are ready for that. What would you do? Any suggestions overall would also be appreciated.
    What if trials of this life
    Are Your mercies in disguise?
    "Blessings; Laura Story"

I am not an expert by any means but, if I was adding a bathroom, I would make sure it has easy places to prop myself on. There are times when getting up and down from the toilet are a challenge and I use the sink to pull up.

Comment

About the stairs -if you don't want ramps, how about putting handrails on both sides of the stairs? It will give you leverage if you need it, and it might feel a little less awkward.
      Make sure that they're strong (multi-inch thick) and you'll be able to use them to pull up if you fall.

Comment

If steps become un managable, consider ramp or chair lift. Mainly I would keep moving....maybe some kind of exercise equipment both you and husband could enjoy and receve benefit
        [I]Tellnhelen
        Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

My husband made our master bath accessible for me 2 years ago. The door to the bath was already wide enough, but he did a complete rip-out of the bath by giving me a large stall shower, roll-under sink, and raised toilet. He also built a large closet next to the shower. It looks beautiful!

He also built a ramp from my garage that leads into my house. EVERYBODY loves it because, seriously, who wants to deal with steps when you're bringing in groceries or other deliveries? . My disability has turned into a win/win for EVERYBODY involved in my life when it comes to making things easier.

Call your local chapter of the MS Society for names of contractors (if the have them...ours does),or google for information on accessibility guidelines. Here is just one of many sites I found for such information: http://www.disabled-world.com/disabi...ibility/homes/

Good luck!
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Lendi,

I would just add to Jazz's post a [I]roll out[I] shower. There are days now I can barely lift my foot, and our shower only has about a 2 inch lip at the bottom. It would also be nice if my bathroom was wider, to accommodate a wheelchair.

As far as the ramp goes, I'd go for it. Cheaper to do it now, rather than needing to redo it later.

Enjoy your new addition!

Hugs,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have an idea of a large bathroom/shower for my future and it includes the pourable floor that goes up the wall a few inches and a graded floor with drains like in my veterinarian's office.

I think it would prevent water damage, be good for me if I'm in a chair as well as for bathing our dogs. It looks ok and is very practical.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Thank you so much for your ideas and reasonings. The thoughts that the ramps would be easier for everyone does make me feel better. Not so much like I'm giving up. One thing I'm catching is that everyone seems to be more comfortable with a shower. I had never even heard of a roll out one. I have to admit, getting up and over the tub is getting more difficult and slipping is one of my fears with balance issues and all. I sure do miss my long soaks in a hot bubble bath, though.

Jazzgirl what a beautiful baby!
                What if trials of this life
                Are Your mercies in disguise?
                "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Hi Lendi,

A roll out shower is used in rehab. Kinda what Jules descibes. (Sometimes, a bench is installed, too.) Hope you never need it, but very handy if you can't lift your feet. There are special shower wheelchairs as well. Showers are easier and safer, since it can be very hard and dangerous to get up and down if your balance is bad or your legs are weak.

A large shower (with hand held shower accessory) would be a good idea, too. Don't know if you use a shower (or bath) chair, but a good idea if you have balance issues.

Best wishes with the construction project! Let us know how it went.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Aww, thank you, Lendi. That's my granddaughter with her mom (my daughter). I've been diagnosed with MS since I was pregnant with my daughter. She just turned 31 (and I'll be 54 in one more month).

Good luck getting all your ducks in a row! I'm a former dancer, so I know all about not wanting to "give in" to it. It took me a L-O-N-G time and many (unplanned) falls to realize that I was actually making my life harder than it already was when we live in an age that is actually more accepting of people with disabilities than ever before. I've NEVER had a bad experience with someone in the non-disabled world (maybe because I am the same old me sitting in that wheelchair ).

Again, good luck, and keep us posted!
                    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Lots of grab bars, both in the shower and outside of it also. I have 1 on the outside which I also use if need be, getting up from the "throne" he-he!!

Definitely a walk in shower, preferably one without the 2 inch lip or so that I still have to pick up my weak foot to get in and out.

Wide entry door and lower counter if you use a wc.

Have fun and good luck!!!!

Comment

Walk-in SHOWER! A tub, w ith or w/o shower is HARD to get in/out and dangerous for me. Our boys rebuilt our bath over the holidays (while I was out of town, a Christmas present) with a new shower.

Stairs -v- ramps......... I have balance issues, use a powerchair part-time. (I also use a scooter). RAMPS are great for chairs and scooters, but I ahve problems going down ramps due to balance. Going up ramps is no problem. Sorry no EASY answer here on that one from me.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

We redid our a few years ago. We have a walk in shower, no door...it's deep with a built in bench at the rear of the shower and a hand held shower head. Lots of grab bars all the way around the shower as well as at the entrance and as some mentioned grab bars by the toilet as well.

One of the other design features I like is that our toilet, sink, mirror, and cabinet are positioned in a configuration so that when I get out of the shower I put a towel on the closed toilet and can sit there the entire time I'm getting dressed, brushing my teeth, drying my hair, etc. I don't have to stand up to do any of those things.

Also have a fan/heater in the ceiling which either can ventilate or warm up the bathroom. We have a separate light recessed into the ceiling of the shower...I like that.

One little added feature...we put a phone in the bathroom, one of those wall mounted types. Of course it wouldn't help if I've fallen and can't get up but still it's handy and costs very little to add.

Comment

I am blessed we just finished an addition to our house last month adding a main floor bedroom and a fully accessible bathroom. Before this I had to go up a set of stairs to get to our bedroom and bathroom. It had gotten to the point of I'd get upstairs and not come down!
                            Anyways I would put in as much as you can during the remodel. It is easier to do it all now, than to go back and do it later. As for the bathroom I LOVE what we were able to do. We were able to do a tile walk in shower nothing to step over. The shower and rest of the bathroom is large enough that if I ever ended up in a chair it will fit!
                            Have fun and make it a place you will enjoy hanging out in!
                            GG

Comment

I would like to add: make sure your bathroom is large enough to completely turn around in with a wheelchair on your own. It can be hard to back out.

Light switches may be lowered as well as plug in's. Flooring should be non slip but also easy to use in chairs. A phone that is accessible anywhere in the room or a way to get someone's attention anywhere in your house if needed.

A shower head that is able to be lowered if you need to sit down. I hope I helped!

Comment

Working...
                              X