Chiropractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiropractors

Has anyone tried a chiropractor since being diagnosed with MS?

I am wondering if it is OK to see a chiropractor if you have spinal lesions?

Thanks
    Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
    Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
    He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

call your neuro first...I would think no.
    dx 7/2002 - on Rebif since dx...just changed to Copaxone 1/2011

"There is a difference between acceptance and approval"

Comment

i went to one 4 times. after that i got that one thing were u bend ur head forward and u get tingle shock in ur butt. it finally went away.

it felt good but not now. dr. said not good when they jerk ur body to make it pop. slow adjustment movements if possible.

i going to start getting massages. i need them bad cause my back hurts like bad and legs also
      Billy
      Dx: 09/2004
      09/2011- oooppppssss still have it.

Comment

Many chiropractors no longer do the "crack your back" thing. Slow, gentle manipulation would be less likely to have adverse effects, I would think...but I'm not an expert on the subject.

I haven't gone to a chiropractor in years, but I went for a while a decade ago. I can't say I got any real benefit from it, but neither did it seem to do any harm.

If you do decide to give it a try, please make sure ahead of time that your chiropractor has experience with MS clients.

Comment

chiropractor

It shouldn't be a problem, I went to mine last week, no issues and I have several spinal lesions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            If you do decide to give it a try, please make sure ahead of time that your chiropractor has experience with MS clients.
            I agree. I am lucky in that my chiro has been seeing me for a long time and knows me (and body issues) well. He does cold laser treatments and muscle testing along with very minor and gentle manipulations. I love going and he has helped me considerably. My crazy walking puts a lot of strain on the muscles that hold my frame together, so he works on that as well.

I'd say, shop around, ask lots of questions and find someone you trust. You might want to get recommendations from others. A lot of beneficial advancements have been made over the years in the world of chiropractic treatments.

Good luck!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have been seeing an osteopath for gentle manipulation for about 4 months now and I look forward to it. I always leave his office walking better.
              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" ~ John Lennon

Comment

Look for a chiropractor that uses the B.E.S.T technique:
                Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique. They use a finger to unblock any obstacles along nerve pathways. Its safe..does not hurt and helps ALOT. He helped me alot when I had MS symptoms but did not know it. HE also helps with dizziness, balancing issues in the brain...amazing.

The kind that crack your bones..I would never use and I do not even have spinal lesions.

Warmly, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Mine said he was gonna do different things with me from now on to help work with me.

Also, am I wrong or do most neurologists not like chiropractors?

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                    Look for a chiropractor that uses the B.E.S.T technique:
                    Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique.
                    That's it Jan! I couldn't remember the name of the technique that my chiro uses. Honestly, it is the best!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think it's safe, as long as your chiro knows what he's doing. My chiro would use e-stim on my back first to reduce the muscle spasm. This made the adjustments last longer and easier for him to do. The previous chiro I saw didn't, and many times I felt worse after. Like others have mentioned, avoid the ones that are just all about cracking your back / neck.

Look2thestars--from my experience, most doctors in general don't like chiros. I think they get a bad rap though, due to lack of awareness of alternative healthcare by docs, and that there are some badly trained and/or unethical chiros out there.

Comment

My chiro is my pcp & is the person who started me on my journey to my dx.
                        After my dx, she said to me "Well, the good news is we don't have to stop adjustments."
                        My neuro has never said one way or the other about chiros. And her written hx of my sx is what helped confirm my dx so he is aware that I see a chiro regularly.
                        DX 10/2008
                        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I see a chiro. and always feel better afterwards. Sometimes get a massage before the adjustment.
                          Jen

Comment

I used to manage my headaches and sciatica with chiro and massage for years and years. It doesn't work for me anymore, and sets off the problems that I go there to have treated.

The last time I went they did acupuncture in my suboccipitals, massage and a very gentle cervical adjustment. I don't know what happened but, upon leaving the office my head twitched sideways for three days afterward. That was one of my presenting symptoms originally and had gone away on the baclofen that was prescribed.

I'm not sure whether it was the acupuncture or adjustment, but something got irritated and flared up again. Since I had no c-spine or brain lesions on MRI, I'm assuming it was the acupuncture. It has given me muscle spasms in the past too.

I love my chiros, and they've known for a long time something was off with my nervous system five years ago when I worked there. They dropped some hints but I was too busy working and taking care of everyone else to take it seriously.

I'm thinking of going back for some microcurrent to reduce inflammation. It's about the only thing left besides massage that I can do there.

Thanks for the heads up on the BEST technique. I've never heard of it and will look for someone who knows it.
                            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Thank you everyone your feedback has been essential! I am going to give the chiropractor a try!

Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
                              Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
                              He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X