X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phobias

Hello,

Silly question but I must act!!!!!

Has anything acquired any phobias or anxiety problems ever since diagnosed with MS?

Thank you
    Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
    Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
    He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

I am definitely more anxious. I have never problems speaking in front of a group of people -but know I ge very anxious even talking in front of the 20 managers I have worked with for over 13 years. At times I even avoid voicing my opinion due to the anxiety.
    Kathy

Comment

My anxiety has definitely increased as of late... Panic attacks are becoming more frequent.
      Rae Roy

Comment

Yep.
        I'm now medicated for anxiety with Effexor, and have been for over 10 years.
        It's horrible...but I deal with it...
        Well look at you, Mr. Walkway. Go on, lead me to the building.

Diagnosed 09/24/99 RRMS, Copaxone 02/2011

Comment

I used to be calm, cool, and collected

seriously though, I'm definitely more anxiety ridden, especially when I'm out and about since I first started having MS symptoms about 15 years ago.

But then I tell myself why wouldn't I be because of the unpredictability of the disease and not knowing when you'll be somewhere and have overwhelming fatigue suddenly hit, or find yourself stumbling or falling.

I will say my anxiety has lessened over the years because I thin we all develop coping mechanisms to deal with our particular symptoms.

P.S. I can usually tell when I'm headed into a flare because I get an uneasy feeling, akin to anxiety just before the major symptoms hit. Neuro surmises it might be a lesion that affects that emotion. To be noted: in several medical journals I've read that MS can cause psychiatric disturbance including anxiety. In fact in the "old" Merck's Manual it said that an MS patient might present as someone with hysteria...I've found that interesting, especially seeing that many MS patients are originally thought to have symptoms caused by anxiety,

Comment

Anxiety and fear...

When I was first diagnosed I got very anxious! To have a disease that causes so-o-o many symptoms! I lived alone and worked full time and now never knew if I would have pain, numbness, tingling, be in a wheelchair, become paralyzed or blind etc., etc. I went to an MS Support group only once...because those that were there were in more advanced stages or types of the disease and it terrified me...so I dealt with it alone. After a while I just learned to live with it. Even now (15 yrs. into it) I still get scared everytime there is a new symptom or in a new area!
            Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

I have sevre anxiety problems now. I didn't realize it until I was given a med to help with my nerve pain. My anxiety slowly showed its face so I never noticed. I know it sounds weird but I just didn't notice.

Once I started the med I actually became closer to the person I was about 16 years ago. I actually got comments about it from family and friends that knew me from years ago.

Comment

Anxiety

I have had anxiety problems most of my life. Before I got dx my anxiety skyrocketed to panic attacksI felt like I couldnt breathe and no matter how hard I tryed could not find any air. This left me feeling very isolated and withdrawn. Finally, went to the Dr. and got put on anxiety meds (which I have tried several). Since, my dx have found Cymbalta works the best for me and can be taken with my other meds. I GIVE THE MOST CREDIT TO LOTS OF PRAYERS! I have been very glad to have my anxiety under control and in check. Although, I occassionally have problems with it but its so much better than before.
                ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD WHO STRENGTHENS ME
                I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENTHENS ME

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses! I feel that since 07 the anxiety is slowly creeping in!

I am on wellbutrin and that seems to be helping but still there are occasions that I feel anxiety when I am out of my element. Could someone plateau on a med???

I used to be so outgoing was not afraid of any situation but now it's another story.

It is heard for people to understand that this is MS related!
                  Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
                  Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
                  He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

Comment

showing weakness; make's me a easy target for an attack, I have felt creepy vibs from crimanal types while in public places.
                    I dont think i'm being un fair. Beacuse I have been attacked; more than once- Before I had MS.
                    I have; and will defend, myself my, loved ones with out regret!

Comment

I've always been high-strung but I've definitely become more anxious since my DX.
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I used to have anxiety so bad, it woke me up every single night.

I had started taking Xanax... for me, at 120 lbs, I took .5mg (maaaybe, eventually 1mg?). The important thing is, I took EXTENDED RELEASE. It is imperative, having fatigue, not to take the instant acting as it will knock you on your you know what.

Xanax ER, everyday, is highly recommended by me. Amazingly, I don't have to take it, anymore.

As for fear... People. I am so petrified of people talking to me or looking at me while I'm in public. I rarely ever go out, anymore. When I do go out, I've managed to build up this defense mechanism of being in my own world and pretending there are no people around me so I can go shopping.

I was scared of people before I got sick but since I got really sick and had to leave work, staying home got me used to being home and comfortable not having to deal with people.

Thank goodness for computers or I would have no social life, at all!

One other fear I have is that something will happen to me while I'm alone with my kids. I used to have seizures and I always worry that I'll have one in front of them and scare them. So far so good, though. I keep my fingers crossed!

As my son gets older, though, it gets easier as he's more capable of calling someone to help if anything happens and he can keep his sister safe. I also have a bf who is with me 3/4 of the day.

People, though... they will always be scaaaaaary.
                        [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Claustrophobia. I was never claustrophobic until after I had my first MRI. Now I have to be knocked out with Xanex to get an MRI, and tight places like subways and elevators can cause a panic if I let them.
                          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

My phobia now days...DRIVING can't go too far and I wait for my DH to take me or a dear friend of mine. Hate it but I just can't shake it.

I have always suffered from depression and anxiety. Been on anti depressents for yrs. This due to my childhood as well as it runs in my maternal family.
                            I have tried every dang antidepressent/anxiety med possible. But the best for me is a combo.

I have been on wellbutrin for about 10 yrs and off and on zoloft as well to now I am consistantly on both, due to the advice of my neuro.
                            As well as Xanax. Slow releasing also. 1mg twice a day. However I have only taken it once a day at bedtime.
                            Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

I'm constantly having anxiety attacks I'm pretty sure it has to do with MS. Over the past several years it's gotten worse, I'm on zoloft now and that seems to help some though.

~Elly
                              I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Working...
                              X