walking into walls and such?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

walking into walls and such?

I have walked into a wall or the corner of a wall three times today - I am assuming this is an MS thing?

I went to my college office for academic excellence and started the accomedations process. I told them my concerns about hospitalizations, attendence, icy walkways (my campus is quite hilly and the pathways are icy and parking is a hike from the academic buildings), and long labs with no seating. Can you think of any other things I should include? Thanks!
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

If you're having vision problems, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Make sure you request testing accommodations... For anything you think you might need.

Comment

Include rest times for fatigue. Do you have problems with memroy/cognitive issues? Then you may need longer time to complete tests, school work.

Good luck..let us know how school is going.
      Oh.. icey walkways is a safety hazard for ALL.

Take care, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Digital Audio Recorders

I attend college also and use a digital audio recorder. The modern day tape recorder. I bought mine for $60 at walmart. There are less expensive ones. Mine was the most expensive because I wanted to beable to down load some of the lectures to my computer. You must first get the instructors approval before you record the class, so far I have not been denied by any instructor.
        COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
          I attend college also and use a digital audio recorder. The modern day tape recorder. I bought mine for $60 at walmart. There are less expensive ones. Mine was the most expensive because I wanted to beable to down load some of the lectures to my computer. You must first get the instructors approval before you record the class, so far I have not been denied by any instructor.
          Thanks Greg, I already was recording lecture prediagnosis. I have something called a smartpen - it is pretty sweet. You can record not only the lecture - but your notes. You can listen to your notes and jump around in the lecture by tapping on different areas in the notes in your notebook to hear specific parts. Then you can share with classmates. Livescribe makes them. I got it for A&P originally - but it is handy for any science course really - you are right though. I should have it put in my accomadations so I can record any class b/c I did have a teacher tell me no last semester.
          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
            Include rest times for fatigue. Do you have problems with memroy/cognitive issues? Then you may need longer time to complete tests, school work.

Good luck..let us know how school is going.
            Oh.. icey walkways is a safety hazard for ALL.

Take care, Jan
            I should ask for longer to complete the test because sometimes it takes me longer to make sense of questions. I don't know if that is an MS thing though. LOL.

Comment

A few more things that you might want to ask for, just in case...
              If you have processing issues, you can ask for a note taker. They're not there to cover your notes, but it's a great source for supplemental notes. Not every school pays for professionals, though. Some use other students.
              Keep open extended time testing, but you might also want to ask for someone to read the test to you (as I know MS patients sometimes have problem transfering words from page to brain).
              Also, put in requests for tutors now.

Ask for things you think you might use, not things you need now. It can take months to get changes approved.

Comment

I do not walk into walls, some always puts up a new wall in my house where there wasn't one before! LOL So I always have bruised shoulders
                Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by rawksea76 View Post
                  I do not walk into walls, some always puts up a new wall in my house where there wasn't one before! LOL So I always have bruised shoulders
                  LOL Yeah, that's it for me too! The weird thing is that it happens on my campus too!

Comment

I walk into corners of wall (or a table) all the time, easily three times a day, too.
                    This has been a problem of mine for many years.
                    Random bruises on me are a norm.

Mostly it happens in my own home, which is extra silly to me.
                    It seems that my brain is barely off when I'm gauging when to turn a corner.
                    My vision is not bothered by the MS, but clearly my internal navigational compass is.

Comment

Most of my ideas have been covered - enough time between classes for travel, extra time for tests, maybe a golf cart or some other kind of transport on bad days(either weather-wise of MS wise).
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Am I glad I saw this post! I am constantly running into the corners of walls. I never really thought anything about it. I just thought I was cutting the corner short. I usually just laugh and ask who put that wall there? Now I know what may explain my clumsiness. Thank you for the post!
                        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                        Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                        X