Hello, newbie here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, newbie here!

I am finally posting! Woo Hoo! I don't know why I have been so nervous about it! I've been reading all of your posts since September, but just haven't had the nerve to post! Weird, huh? I guess there's something scary about being the new kid! Maybe subconsciously I thought by posting I was REALLY admitting I have MS. Haha!!

More seriously though, I have to say that so many members of MSWorld have helped me through some very difficult times - more than you'll ever know! I would have had a much harder time dealing with the diagnosis process, symptoms, realizing my life has been "tweeked" a bit, etc., if it weren't for this website, so THANK YOU!! It's not that my husband, kids, friends and family are not supportive, but they can't possibly understand what they cannot see. And honestly, I just really don't like going on about my symptoms all the time!

I've been having "odd" symptoms since right after the birth of my daughter 5 years ago. But, it wasn't until August that I had a flare that drove me to the doctor. Fast foward 4 months and 3 flares, and I have a diagnosis. I started Copaxone in December, and I'm doing well with it.

I'm very excited that my neurologist was selected to be a part of the Oklahoma Research Foundation for MS that will be open in March! Something to look forward to!

I mentioned my daughter, 5, but I also have 3 boys - 19, 13 and 9. And, yes, my daughter is "the princess" of the house!

I work full time, and love my job. I hope that I will be able to continue working until I'M ready to stop.

Hope all of you are well, and I look forward to more "chats"!
    , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Welcome to posting!!! and thanks for such a great and insightful intro. You brought up so many things that I went through and that I think are pretty common for after diagnosis.

Originally posted by Thankful2B View Post
    Maybe subconsciously I thought by posting I was REALLY admitting I have MS. Haha!!
    I think all of us go through the whole denial thing, where if we don't really talk about it or don't do a certain thing then it's not real yet. We don't have to face it yet. It's normal and it's okay, I think. I mean how do you ever really come to terms with this? I mean eventually, maybe but definitely not right away.

Originally posted by Thankful2B View Post
    I would have had a much harder time dealing with the diagnosis process, symptoms, realizing my life has been "tweeked" a bit, etc., if it weren't for this website, so THANK YOU!! And honestly, I just really don't like going on about my symptoms all the time!
    I can't thank this site and the wonderful people on it enough for just this reason. This site has become my set MS talking time. I don't have to feel like I'm constantly talking about it with my husband or family, I can set the times that it's okay to talk about MS so I don't obsess (too much ) and it's a group of people who have all been there (most for a lot longer than myself).

Thanks for the great first post and look forward to further chatting!

Comment

Thank you for the nice welcome Small Town Girl! I can't imagine not having a place to share thoughts.
      , T2B

Comment

Hi Thankful and WELCOME to MSWorld!!!

I agree with you that this is a wonderful place to find info that can help us deal with this disease.

My, you are very busy for sure with 4 children and a hubby, plus working full time. Good for you!!

Hope to see you hear often! And again- WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Comment

Hello Thankful2B

Welcome - nice to meet you!

Glad to hear that MS World has been beneficial to you!

I'm very excited that my neurologist was selected to be a part of the Oklahoma Research Foundation for MS that will be open in March! Something to look forward to!
          Wow - very cool!

I mentioned my daughter, 5, but I also have 3 boys - 19, 13 and 9. And, yes, my daughter is "the princess" of the house!

I work full time, and love my job. I hope that I will be able to continue working until I'M ready to stop.
          Wishing you and your family all the best, and hoping that you are able to have a long and prosperous career!

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

This forum has kept me sane

Welcome! So glad you are here to share stories, laugh, cry, rant, or whatever you feel like.

You really struck a cord with me when you said, "More seriously though, I have to say that so many members of MSWorld have helped me through some very difficult times - more than you'll ever know! I would have had a much harder time dealing with the diagnosis process, symptoms, realizing my life has been "tweeked" a bit, etc., if it weren't for this website, so THANK YOU!! It's not that my husband, kids, friends and family are not supportive, but they can't possibly understand what they cannot see. And honestly, I just really don't like going on about my symptoms all the time!"

My feelings exactly! The replies, the advise, hugs, just having an ear to bend, and having the acceptance and understanding is truly incredible.

Because I have used this as part of my therapy, my family thought I was in denial about this illness because I wasn't crying, fretting, worrying, and venting to them. But it is because I have all of you as my therapist. It has made all the difference in the world!

So again, welcome Thankful2be and thanks for sharing.

Comment

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great to have you. i too read before i posted, i think it`s fairly common (i think). looking forward to hearing more from you! good luck.

dave
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Welcome!

I've had MS for 15 years but coming here calms the wildest of fears for me. It feels like coming home.
                Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Thank you all so much for your warm welcomes! It really means a lot!
                  , T2B

Comment

What a positive post! You are amazing, three boys and then a girl. I am glad you are doing well on the copaxone.

Tell us about yourself. What do you do? It's awesome that you are working full time and that you love your job. I do as well. It's nice to see someone able to work with this infernal disease.

I am like you, I love my job (5th grade teacher; public school). I hope I can work for as long as I want to.

For me, there was a lot of thinking.........."Am I wasting my best years teaching? Will I be bitter if I retire only to be disabled?" After much soul-searching, I decided that THESE were my best years and I wanted to spend them teaching.

I have two boys. I wanted a girl very much! I didn't find out what I was having either time. I was praying for a girl so hard that second time. I watched him being born and when I saw how terribly ugly he was, I begged for a boy! You can have a goofy-looking boy, but not a goofy-looking girl! He's a cutey now and loves that story!!

Thanks for posting. I am glad you did.

Comment

Hello Thankful2B (love your name) and welcome.

Sounds like you have a full life, thats wonderful!

We are all blessed to have MSWORLD and I am looking forward to you posting again.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

If you post, does that mean you give in?

I was on the fence for a while. I would just look at the site and never post. I did the same thing with my handicapped placard, I had it for three months before I used it, if I used it I was admitting I have this stupid thing. I didn't want to do that.

Comment

hello! My story is similar to yours, just a little shorter to diagnosis and one less flare. I am hoping to start with avonex or rebif though.

I find this board very helpful too. I am glad that you are so positive - and I too plan on going as long as I can professionally. I am a student and when i enter the workforce want to do it as long as possible!!!

Welcome!!!
                          Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working...
                          X