Anyone on Gabapentin and/or Clonazepam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on Gabapentin and/or Clonazepam?

These are the newest meds added to my regimen. I hate reading the side effects because it freaks me out.
    I know we all react differently to meds, but is anyone on this combo for tremors and anxiety? Has it helped?
    Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

I do not and have not used Neurontin.

I do use Klonopin on an as needed basis for anxiety/panic attacks, tremors, and spasticity. Klonopin works quite well for me.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

On Both

Hi,
      I am currently on both. Been on them since May 2010. I have tried others but had bad reactions (allergies) or no relief.
      For me once I got used to them they have been the best combination.
      True if you take Klonopin for a while you do have to taper off. Which for me has been easy when done properly to try a diff med.
      However I always go back to this combo. It works the best FOR ME. I did get tired (sleepy) at the beginning but after use that passed.
      I was concerned about the addiction part of it all but WE have MS and need to still live our life. So if you take as directed I quit stressing over that part.

Just my personal experience. Good luck, Best wishes
      I would love to hear how it goes for you.
      Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

I use Gabapetin up tp 3x a day. I have not had any side effects and it has helped me with neck pain. I also take Ativan(generic version) for anxiety. This too, up to 3x a day as needed.

They both really help me. I usually take the Gabapetin 2x a day and sometimes I have to take the Ativan 3x but mostly 2x a day. Again no real side effects...so far they have helped me.

I wish you luck!!

Comment

I took gabapentin for about four years, starting off at 300 mg daily and peaking out at around 1,600 mg. (My soon-to-be-ex-husband takes around 3,600 mg. daily!) it works pretty well, but I did notice a weight gain when I was taking it.

I recently stopped taking it and baclofen too, and have had no problems or return of symptoms to speak of. Keeping my fingers crossed that will continue!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thank you so much! I thought it was a little ironic that I gave myself a panic attack about taking anxiety meds.
            The positive feedback is really helpful and eases my mind.
            I really hope this combo provides me with some relief.
            Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

I've been taking 100mg of Gabapentin two or three times a day for at least 15 years. 300 mg at a time is too strong for me.

I also have been on Clonaxepam, 0.5mg once a day for nearly as long.

The two meds are the least costly and have worked well for me.

Years ago, I asked my doc if I could quit Clonazepam.
              He said OK.
              Well, it was just a couple months later and I found I was extremely jumpy and truly had racing thoughts. I got paranoid and really stressed (which I never considered to be part of my personality before MS).
              I got back on it ASAP.

Comment

Me too!

Hi Gypsy!

I have taken Klonopin and Xanax (generic) for anxiety and sleeping. There have been periods over the years when I have taken them regularly and times when I just take on an as needed basis. They are my back up when I feel bad and sxs are hard to manage (including depression/sadness).

Comment

I have been on Neurontin for about 6 years. I stopped it once because it just was not helping me with the pain in my legs.

When I stopped taking it, I had to go very slowly. It took me about 3 months to taper off. I tried Lyrica but that made me retain too much water and my ankles were huge.

So, back on the Neurontin. I now take 2400 mg at night. It does not take the pain completely away but it does take the edge off enough that I can get a little sleep. I was on Clonazepan once but it was doing bad things to my liver so I tapered off of it as well.

I hope you find the answers to your questions! Remember you ar not alone.
                  I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

I take Neurontin at night for neuropathy pain in my feet. I usually take 200 mg and sometimes up to 400 mg. I intensify the response by using a roll on Capsacin (Icy Hot or the like) in the morning and again at night before I go to bed. It not only warms my cold dead feet but really helps with the pain.

Be careful when you start and monkey around with titrating for the right dose for you. Start at night before bed (I start earlier than bedtime so it is already working). The first time they prescribed 400 mg and I fell flat asleep in 5 minutes while sitting up.

Comment

I too am on Celexa and Neurontin. I started the Celexa in June and the Neurontin this past March.

I am trying to wean myself off both to see if the lack of sexual drive and weight gain might be a side effect for me.

The side effects of Celexa include lack of sexual sensation and the Neurontin has possible weight gain.

Has anyone else had these same type of symptoms with either of these drugs. I am hoping once I get off them things will go back to "normal."
                      Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

careful

If you go off Neurontin, go very, very slowly. I went cold turkey the first time and it almost killed me, literally. You should ask your doctor to write out a schedule as to how to go off of it. If he cannot help you then ask your pharmacist.
                        I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

i take gabapentin 300 mg morning, 300 mg mid day and 900mg befor bed. it helps alot. I take ativan instead of kalotapin; be careful with that it is very addicting

Comment

I take 600mg Gabapentin, right now I am taking them 2 at a time 3-4 times/day due a nasty flare. In the beginning, 3 yrs ago, I started with low dosage, but have continued to but up as time has passed. I also take Vicodin for the pain - also I was able to get the last of my Darvocet scripts refilled before my pharmacy pulled them - I use those for lower grade pain and the anxiety that comes along with flares. Clonazepam is not one my doctor has ever prescribed. Keep trying! You will find something that works - but take care to ease off one and onto another. Peace to you and sending energy for renewed strength

Comment

Clonazapam..

I take .05MG Clonazapam (Klonopin) three times a day for anxiety/panic disorder and have for years, well before my MS diagnosis. I continue taking it due to the added benefit that it helps with my tremor. I have no negative side effects from this med at all and consider it a valuable tool in handling my sx (tremor, anxiety) and really, the only time it is problematic is when I forget to take the middle of the day dose.
                              golightlygirl... Diagnosed 05/10 with RRMS. Currently taking Copaxone.

Comment

Working...
                              X