Treatments??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatments??!!

I have to start treatments for MS on February 1st.. I have insurance but don't have extra money for what my insurance doesn't cover. Where can I get some help in paying for them? I heard that they cost anywhere from 300 to 500 dollars a month after insurance!!

Welcome to MSWorld! Nice to meet you, but sorry about the circumstances.

First, talk it over with your dr and decide which med you want to take. S/He will forward the rx and required paperwork to the drug's manufacturer. They'll call you for some info, investigate your insurance benefits and get back to you with what your co-pay will be along with the specialty pharmacy who will provide it. Depending on your rx plan it could be a percentage ( as in the 80%/20% plans) which would be in line with what you're thinking or a flat rate.

My insurance co. have always been the flat rate type, so I have never paid more than $40 a month for Copaxone.

If your co-pay is beyond what you can afford, each company has a financial assistance program that most qualify for without too much trouble . Simply tell them that it is too much and ask if they can take an application for financial assistance.

Then if for some reason, that doesn't work out look into the resources here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100575

Some are drug specific, others assist with any appropriate meds. You do have to qualify, but there are a number of options. Most I believe try NORD first.

As a final option, call your local chapter of the NMSS. They may either have an emergency fund for meds you can apply for ( it would be a lump sum, not ongoing payment, so it would only be helpful to get you over the hump until further assistance comes along) or they may be able to direct you to local resources for financial aid. Follow this link to find your local chapter :
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fin...ter/index.aspx

Good luck!

Comment

Definitely talk to your doctor. Some drugs have better support systems than others, and they can plan accordingly. Mrs. Bones gave you some good advice.

If you're like most of us, you'll probably end up on a few additional meds as well at some point. Make sure you ask ALL of your doctors about discount programs. You'd be surprised what's out there.

Comment

Please check with your insurance company before getting too worried. My Copaxone only costs me $30 a month and it has been that price with three different insurance companies over the years. Good luck.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Treatments?!?!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have been so worried after talking to some people. But this has given me hope! I am so scared right now.. I was just diagnosed on Dec. 15. I was so sick for 4 months strait... I have heard a lot of stuff about the treatments and from everything I hear, the C one seems like the one that everyone can't stop talking about.. Are the painful, and do you really feel like you have the flu all the time? Thanks again, and can't wait to hear for you again!)

Comment

Originally posted by jaiderae2 View Post
            Thank you so much for the feedback! I have been so worried after talking to some people. But this has given me hope! I am so scared right now.. I was just diagnosed on Dec. 15. I was so sick for 4 months strait... I have heard a lot of stuff about the treatments and from everything I hear, the C one seems like the one that everyone can't stop talking about.. Are the painful, and do you really feel like you have the flu all the time? Thanks again, and can't wait to hear for you again!)

Glad we could help!

It's normal to be scared. In fact, it's normal to feel scared, angry, relieved, sad, mournful, complete denial, nothing at all or 100 other things all wrapped together. Let it all come and deal with each day as it comes. MS is a rollercoaster...some days ya hold on for dear life, screaming your head off and others , you can wave your arms around and have a blast.

The injections are different for everyone, and often different from day to day. They each have side effects, so look into all of them thoroughly.

Copaxone has relatively few side effects,the most common being the site reactions, which can be quite unpleasant to be truthful. It's a daily injection so it can be daunting to deal with. You don't really get the flu stuff from Copaxone, though some folks get chills or nausea. However, side effects and site reactions diminish over time for the majority of people using it. This is true of all the meds. Do keep in mind, though, some people can have no side effects or pain whatsoever and others are miserable until they adjust or move onto a new med. You won't know until you try and if you do get some side effects, most can be very easily managed.

The interferons (Rebif, Avonex and Betaseron) are the ones known to cause the flu like symptoms along with other stuff, but again, you might not ever have a side effect from any of them.

I've used Copaxone, Rebif and Tysabri. Of the 3, I've been happiest with Copaxone. The site reactions did have a bite in the beginning, but once I switched from the Autoject (a gadget that does the injection at the push of a button w/o seeing the needle) to injecting manually I saw a huge improvement. Over time, the injections became very easy with only a mild itch occasionally. Now I can't even find where I've just injected.

Listen to personal experiences, but don't let anyone's experience influence your choice. You are the one who has to take the drug, so do your research thoroughly and choose what you feel will work best for you. You can always change if it doesn't work out for you.

You can start your search here, if you haven't already :
            http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...nts/index.aspx

You can see what the NMSS has to say about each drug and through the links on the right of each drug's page, visit the official website for each. Information packages and DVDs, etc are available from each. Get them all and compare. Call them and ask questions. Talk to your doctor. When you find everything you need, make your decision.

Good luck!

Comment

It seems to me that Avonex, Betaseron and Copaxone all have a similar success rate and supporters here on the board.

I've been happy with Copaxone. Other than site reactions I have not had any adverse effects.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X