Gabapentin - PRN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin - PRN?

Saw lobstermomma's thread and wanted to ask my own question about gabapentin. Has anyone had their neuro prescribe this drug on an "as needed" basis? I was given a script for 100 mg doses and told to take one or two for when the numbness and pain were really bad, especially at night. I don't really see much relief but when I told my neuro this, he prescribed Lyrica instead, but take it the same way. So...am I crazy? Grrr! Thanks for any advice you may have! : )

I'm on gabapentin 300mg 3xday...if I didn't take the whole dose as prescriped I would be in a straight jacket because of the pain. Never heard of on an as needed basis because it takes awhile for it to work in the first place.

Comment

I've always been on a regular dosage with and an as needed extra.

100 mg is a pretty small dosage, especially taken "as needed". My starting dosage was 100 mg, 3x daily, then 200 mg, 3x daily and so on as each dosage became less effective, until my current dose 400 mg, 4x daily with the optional 200 mg if needed. Others here take much more than I do.

Taking you off gabapentin after only 100 mg as needed, when you can (unless other medical issues prevent it) safely go to much higher , and maybe more effective, doses seems a little premature. But of course, I'm not a doctor.

Ask your dr why he wants you to switch instead of trying a different dosage, unless you'd rather give Lyrica a try.

Comment

If you read the prescribing information for gabapentin and Lyrica, neither one is intended to be used on an as-needed basis. They don't work like aspirin, where one dose is effective in pain relief. Their ability to control pain depends on a certain level of the medication being present over time.

The documentation for Lyrica says that it can take up to a week of daily use before people start to notice pain relief, and it may take longer. You can't get to that point if "as needed" means occasionally and not daily.

So you're not crazy. Your neurologist's usage instructions are... unusual. Neither medication can be expected to do its job if a sufficient dose isn't being taken often enough.

I'm going to guess that your neuro didn't tell you much about the meds, either. It looks like you get to decide on your own which one to take. Lyrica has a website, and medication guides for gabapentin are available online. Just because your neuro doesn't seem to have read the instructions, it doesn't mean that you can't.

Comment

Good morning KempoGrl…last night was my first time taking it and when I was talking to my doctor yesterday he told me NOT to take it WHENEVER b/c it’s a drug that has to build up in your system…I was told to take 1 pill (100mg) for 7 days, then 1 pill 2x a day for 7 days and then 1 pill 3x a day and that I wouldn’t feel it working for a few days and if I’m not mistaking Lyrica is the same way.

I’m not saying your doctor is wrong but I think I would talk to him a little more about it…seems somewhat odd (not talking about YOU but your DOCTOR) that he would tell you that, but again I’m not a doctor. I hope you can talk to him and figure out what to do with you meds!! Have a good one…
          ~Nick~

Comment

I take 300mg 3x a day...but, if for some reason the pain is worse I can take it 4x a day or add one extra at bedtime or whenever.
            Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

I'm on 800 mg three times a day and take 2 at night and take the third if and when I need it. I started out at 100 mg and have built up over the last two years.
              Rae Roy

Comment

I too take 300mg 3 times a day. Started out with the weekly build up.
                Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Thanks everyone! I had read about gabapentin and how its usually prescribed, but I thought maybe my doc knew something about the med that just wasn't widely done. I have an appt next week so I'll ask for clarification then.

Oh, and sorry lobstermomma for getting your name backwards! : )

Comment

hello,i take 3/300mg 3x a day thats 2,700mg,and often i take 1 extra at bedtime, i started at 300mg 3x a day thats900mg and went up from there.mark
                    DX's,MS,1/8/04
                    copaxone

Comment

Working...
                    X