Latex allergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latex allergy

I just had hand surgery and my hand was just replaced in a latex foam type cast well I broke out with what looks like heat blisters and when I looked this up it says it could be caused by the immune system, well I am awaiting a direct DX and I am wondering could this be another symptom of ms?

No, not a symptom.

If you're having an allergic reaction, it IS caused by the immune system, because allergies are immune responses.

Allergies and MS are different immune conditions. An allergy is a reaction to an entity that comes from outside the body. MS is an autoimmune reaction, wherein the immune system destroys some part of its own body. In an allergy, the immune system correctly identifies and responds to an outside invader, but overreacts. In MS, the immune system misidentifies parts of itself to be an invader, so the stimulus is incorrect. The mechanisms are different, so one isn't a symptom of the other.

Allergies and autoimmune responses are sort of like misbehaving children of the same parent (the immune system). MS is a product of the immune system; it isn't a controller of the immune system and can't cause allergic responses.

Comment

allergic

Thanks for the update.

Comment

just another quick comment, you may already be aware but latex allergy can be very severe and latex is found in a medical items, mattresses, wheelchair cushions, catheters etc etc- people with disabilities and people working in the medical or nursing fields have a higher rate of latex allergy than the general population due to the frequent contact and as with all allergies- each exposure to the foreign antigen can lead to increased sensitivity and therefore worse reactions, so have the reaction clarified as soon as you can and then make sure that when ever you go to hospital or a doctors rooms for treatment you make it clear you have an allergy to latex as well as checking that you avoid latex gloves, catheters, etc- a severe latex allergy can lead to anaphylaxis!

Comment

latex allergy

Thank You will keep that in mind

Comment

Dental, and latex gloves!

Just a quick note, I worked in the dental field and I found out I had a latex allergy big time! Be sure and tell your dentist NOT TO USE LATEX GLOVES!!! It can cause itching and redness and not fun! Good to know for any future surgeries etc!

Comment

Working...
            X