Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solumedrol questions

Hi,

This is my first time on the IV solumedrol. I started it Thursday and will be on it for the 5 days. So far no side effects. I am not feeling much of anything, no relief yet from the horrible weakness or leg pain.
    I am hooking it up myslef which is a bit scary for me but day 2 and I am okay.
    When did you feel any side effects or relief? Thanks so much.
    And even though the moment passed me by I still can't turn away
    'Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
    Got tossed along the way

Side effects? Pretty much from the first day. Nervous energy, acid stomach, thirst & hunger.

Relief? Sometimes within the first 3 or 4 days, sometimes not until a week or so later.

Hang in there!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Karen. Maybe I wont' have the nervous energy. I was hoping for a little bit. I woke up today after my 2nd infusion, slept fine again last night . no hunger, energy I feel exactly the same. Thanks again!
      Got tossed along the way

Comment

Relief

Hi I had a 5 day round of solumedrol in July 2010. I did not feel relief right of the bat. It took a couple days but boy it sure did get me out of a serious flare. Side effects, sweating and metallic taste from the first dose.

But after the 5 days I felt better as far as symptoms but the vertigo absolutely horrendous. Those were the worst for me.

I too was considered home bound (or my insurance wouldn't pay) and had to hook myself up every night.

Just be careful with the IV that you have to keep in and if you have any probs or need it moved call the Nurse and have them come take care of it, I did I had to have it moved once because it started to hurt.

But as hard as it was and there were other side effects but none that were too bad oh except the all over body aches and extreme skin sensitivity. I will say, it was worth it at that flare but hard to say if I could do it again. Don't know. Good luck
        Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

I had trouble with blood sugar on the solumedrol.

Otherwise, after a day or two, my sx stopped or let up gradually until gone.

Comment

The only problem I had was blood sugar, started to approach Diabetes reading. Once stopped everything returned to 'normal'.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I never had a 5 day, but had a 3 day course, then 1 day a month for a year.

Never any bad side effects, just the metal mouth for the first day, not bad.

Got more feeling in my weak foot and leg and better balance right away--as the fluid was dripping in!! I consider myself one of the lucky ones!!

I didn't take the IVSD for a flare, it was to help my everyday sx. Unfortunately the improvements only lasted for afew days each month, but I sure looked forward to those days!

Comment

right away I had that HORRIBLE metal taste in my mouth & was very nauceous. By the end of day 3, I was extremely.............uh...............moody.
                I felt some improvement after a week but then tons of improvement about 2 weeks after my 3 day course was over. I was surprised that it took so long, but it finally did work.

Comment

Hi Feisty:
                  Your question about your IV needle got posted under the wrong thread, so I'll answer it here.

It's routine for an IV needle (a hep-lock) for Solu-Medrol to stay in for 3 to 5 days. They're sometimes changed after 3 days, but leaving it in for 5 isn't uncommon if the site isn't otherwise irritated.

If the needle is going to be changed, it isn't left in overnight -- it's removed right at the end of the infusion and a new one is inserted at a new site at the start of the infusion the next day. That's how I always have mine done, but I have my done at a nurse clinic or infusion center where a nurse does the insertion each time. For home health, that isn't practical if you're hooking up the infusions yourself.

If your IV site isn't overly sore, red, puffy or irritated, the needle can stay in. But if you have any concerns, you should call your home-health coordinator and ask for guidance.

Comment

Thank you

Oops so sorry about posting in the wrong place. I get confused easily lol. In case there is a next time, where should I post? Thanks again. So very sorry.
                    Got tossed along the way

Comment

Hi All.

Solumedrol IV's effect me differently each time, it seems. I was diagnosed in 1996 with RRMS. Back then, I'd be "buns up" in the fridge by the 2nd day, eating everything in sight. Awake most of the night but yet up at 5 a.m. washing windows and cleaning EVERYTHING in sight. By day 4--moody, day 5--no one was safe from a confrontation!!!!!!!!!!!! But my house was immaculate!

Over the years the strength left me...so no cleaning, moody to the MAX! And the IV didn't do much for symptoms.

For the last 5 years, each day I'd get weaker and weaker and sleep alot. By the end of the 5 days I ended up with gastrointestinal issues and explosive diarrhea while my body tries to expel the poison. Days later finding some relief from symptoms,
                      Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

I had iv solumedrol administed on December 7 and December 8. Once for about 30 minutes and the second time it took about 45 minutes due to a relapse that started about November 9. I still have extreme dizziness when walking and nausea, but the most unusual pain is the pressure and throbbing in my head. Anyone have similiar complaints? It's been 5 weeks and heading back to the neuro to see if there is anything else I can do, should I be patient and wait a little longer before going to the neuro?

Comment

Last day and thanks everyone

Today is my last treatment. Yesterday was rough. I was in some discomfort where the needle is in my arm. I can'y wait to get this thing out this afternoon.
                          I noticed I got a bit hungry last night and had an imitation peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I'm trying to not pig out too much.
                          I decided to stay home from work today because I work with children that have special needs and I feel my patience is shorter than normal.
                          The leg pain is better but still not a bit more energy.. :-(
                          Oh well.
                          Thanks everyone for sharing your experience with me.
                          Got tossed along the way

Comment

Make sure you tell the nurses that your IV site hurts. It can bruise if it's in for too long. Hang in there!

Comment

I get solumedrol monthly along with a chemo infusion. The only side effects I notice from it (or any steriod...I had the same thing happen with two, 3-day courses of prednisone) or hunger and hiccups. The hiccups are particularly annoying but they only as a couple of days.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X