Starting MS study...kinda scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting MS study...kinda scared

Hey everyone. I am going to see my nero sometime this month and if she says ok, I will be doing an MS study for about 34-35 weeks. The lady I talked to said I had a 1/4 chane of getting on a placebo and a 50/50 chance of getting on the Copaxone. I was wondering what some of you guys have experienced while being on these meds. I would really appreciate any and all feedback. What, if any, side effects have you experienced with a placebo or on the Copaxone.

Copaxone at its current dose is pretty well tolerated with minimal side effects except for injection site reactions. I assume the study might use different dosing, so I can't speak for exactly what you might expect. Try the search feature to find the multitude of posts made about the good, the bad and the ugly of Copaxone.

Placebo, well, you quite literally get what you expect.
    If you think you're on the drug and expect to feel great, you will. Conversely, if you expect misery, you'll feel awful.

http://www.neurology.org/content/71/9/e25.full

It's a completely inactive "fake" drug, I imagine in this case it might be simple saline, to mimic the Copaxone injections. You won't know which you're on and that's how they see what the drug actually does and how effectively it does it. Any side effects, improvements, etc. seen in either group helps keep the study accurate.

Don't be afraid of either. Placebo is what you make it and Copaxone has been used by many people with good results and a good safety record. It's not for everyone, but keep in mind that you will be closely monitored during the course of the study. If you do not do well, you can easily drop out of the study and move onto another treatment.

Thanks for participating in the study. You're helping all of us.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I do feel a bit better. And I do hope I get on the Copaxone, but we will see what happens. And no problem. I was diagnosed with MS just under a year ago, and my grandfather on my moms side died from complications of MS so I'm trying to do all that I can. ^_^

Comment

I've been on Copaxone for 6 years and am very happy with it.

My gratitude goes out to every one that is willing to participate in studies in hopes of possibly helping us all. I wish you much success with this one and thank you.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Is there any reason you're participating in a study rather than just getting the Copaxone? Are you not insured?

Comment

Well, I saw the ad for the MS study on Facebook one day and thought it would be a good thing to try out. I don't have insurance, but I know there are other avenues as far as getting on the meds I need. My grandfather died of MS complications and I personally know a few others who have MS. I thought it would be something I could do my part in helping to find a better drug to help MS further, which may be one step closer to actually finding a cure for MS.

Comment

Working...
            X