Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Birth Control and Considering stopping DMD's

Good Morning ladies,
    I haven't been here in a while. I just need some opinions. I 've only taken Avonex (for over a year now). It makes me run fever alot! I'm sick sometimes 2 to 3 times out of the week. I'm considering changing medications, but on the other hand I'm off my bc. Me and my husband aren't "trying" but not preventing (if you know what I mean). Has anyone stopped their DMD's in case of the possibility of pregnancy?
    Thanks,
    B

I had a hard time with Avonex in the beginning too. Taking 2 Aleve and hour before the shot and 2 more 4 to 6 hours later really prevents side effects.

But, your question is about the possibility of getting pregnant, which you are not preventing with birth control.

I personally would not take a DMD if I had a chance of being pregnant. Interferons have not been adequately tested for safety during pregnancy. You can be pregnant for weeks before you know it.

Good luck if you really do want to get pregnant. Do discuss with your neuro too.

Comment

I took Avonex for a year and for the first several months had the same side effects.....high fever, etc. My DH and I decided that we wanted to try again so I got off of my shots in January and got pregnant in March. My doctor said that she has had several patients get pregnant on their meds and their pregnancies were fine. My little son was still born, but I do not think that it was related to the Avonex. I hope this helps a little bit. Best of luck to you!!!
      Busy mom of 3 little red heads!!!
      Diagnosed RRMS - May 2005

Comment

I am not on birth control right now. I asked my dr about changing from Copaxone because of the bad injection sight reactions. I was told that any of the other meds are known to cause miscarriages.

I was off of all MS meds for a year, then since ttc was taking a lot longer than anticipated and my MS was showing some activity, I was put back on my copaxone.

You may want to ask your dr if it is a safe med to take if you are not on bc.

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Kittylips1 View Post
          Good Morning ladies,
          I haven't been here in a while. I just need some opinions. I 've only taken Avonex (for over a year now). It makes me run fever alot! I'm sick sometimes 2 to 3 times out of the week. I'm considering changing medications, but on the other hand I'm off my bc. Me and my husband aren't "trying" but not preventing (if you know what I mean). Has anyone stopped their DMD's in case of the possibility of pregnancy?
          Thanks,
          B
          To stop the fever 4 advil, 2 benadryl. I stopped avonex when i was trying to get pregnant withmy 3rd. Then I stayed off it 4 a while, back on it now.

Comment

Working...
          X