Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw My PCP......"AGAIN!"

Hey Guys!

Another appointment with my PCP and it lasted 45 minutes in session with him. He spends unlimited time with me, which I greatly appreciate.

Not like I don't "KNOW" this or think anything can really be done, but we discussed my sleep disorder again. Bottom line, he said since the disease is causing atrophy of the cerebellum, no medication or natural therapy is going to improve it. In addition to 68% of the people who experience strokes have this disorder anyway, it's a double whammy for me. He literally asked me to stop wasting my time looking for what does not exist, a solution to this disorder.

My new family motto has changed from, "Just go with the flow," to "Just go with the flow and let God keep me afloat."

On top of all of this, our copay for meds this new year has gone up considerably where it is now having an impact on our overall finances. I think I will simply cut out what I believe I can do without. As an example, a 90 supply of Zetia from the mail order pharmacy, $130. That's just one of 15 prescribed meds I currently take.

As another financial shot, thanks to the new health care package, our Medical Expense Reimbursement program at my wife's work has been cut from $5,000 a year to only $2,500. Big difference.

Where is the relief for the middle class chronically ill?
    Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
    No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Medication costs are so ridiculous and there is no help for the middle class. I think alot of us are in the same boat as you. Please pay attention the the side effects of stopping a medication - I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. Just don't need to make yourself worse. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.

Comment

Craig- contact all of the drug co and ask for co pay assistance the most they can say is no.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Idea number 2: Your PCP sounds like a good guy. Can he give you samples? I know for one of my meds, my doctor gave me enough to cover two months...

Comment

Hi Craig..........

Nothiang new....... My wifes work CUT their med expense plan from $4k to ZERO back in 08, BEFORE the new health care plan. Employers (and ins cos) will take advantage of ANY EXCUSE to raise prices and cut benifits, if and when they ahve a chance, nothing new.

That was when I opted OUT of my wifes employers nsurance and to medicare.

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Everyone in this country is suffering with medical costs, except of course the most wealthy. I agree the middle class is being hit very hard by co-pay costs. I am very sorry that these costs are so negatively impacting your medical treatment. I could go on and on about how this country should go about fixing this problem, but I will not. (I just finished a sociology course in college and healthcare is a main issue for this country)

It sounds like your PCP is amazing. I love your new motto. I am going to try to adopt it as well.
            Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
            ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Hmmm.. you may or may not like my response to this post Craig.

First of all, its your wife's employer's contract with the insurance companies that is probably changing..its a way for the employer to hold down rising costs..Healthcare insurance REFORM much needed. How can companies make buuka money at the expense of those who are sick beats me. Because they can, I guess.

HOW does this doctor know for sure there is NO tx for your insomina? Because there can be. You know they are not trained in ALL areas..but give educated advice opinions they can HELP and sometimes even hurt. Has HE personally explored other ways to treat insomnia besides with meds?

When has a doctor EVER told us we need to gently detox our livers/colons and were instructed as to how? When we are overloaded on chemicals, including Meds, our livers get sluggish..then overloaded..then stop working and this poison backs up ..even into our brains cuasing lots of neuro symptoms/syndromes.

Because my husband died from medication toxicity and I strongly advocated for him, you see how passionate I am.

We ALL need to careful in the number, the dosage, and the kinds of meds we take without knowing how they interact on us.

Be careful.. be well my friend..continued healing, and I do not mean only medically~May you find help with the sleep issue..

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Craig. I have to say "You INSPIRE me"... Thanks.

Praying that you continue to find Peace.
                Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

At least there is your Dr...

Im so sorry to hear of all the strife and struggle with your sleep and medical insurance issues. What a way to kick of 2011 hu?

I know so many people who are in the same boat as you are and often feel bad that I am not. Dont get me wrong, Im not uber rich or even solidly middle class so financially my family struggles. I am lucky that as a Native American who is enrolled I qualify for IHS health care and up here in Alaska it is actually a great system, but also proof that the system is full of loopholes.

The Alaskan Natives here signed the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act in the 70's and were paid for their lands, given choice of where to reside, and corporations were formed to pay dividends to each shareholder (enrolled tribal member) in exchange for SELLING their lands for oil development AND their rights to free healthcare past 1996. IHS was formed for lower 48 indians who were not afforded the same rights the Natives here were in land issues and therefore the AK Natives had to agree to this concession to save the Government money over time. So, in 94 all of the Tribal Corporations and their formed foundations bought the hospital here and it is the only Privately Owned IHS hospital in the US, and they subside on the grants they recieve from billing private insurance as well as for treating American Indians like me, who are fully covered and entitled to free health care under our treaty rights. They use our coverage to buffer their lack of so while I dont pay out of pocket for my care the way most do I do get cut short when outside insurance doesnt cover what IHS grants cant and services here are cut when the Native treatments cost more than the Indians treated there. Insurance hikes are the single most destructive financial force out there and yet those of us that depend on insurance to pay suffer most.

I know in Alaska there is a program the state funds to help pay medical costs, like medicaid but not quite. It may be only a State thing but I'd call any Social and Human Services office and ask about any possible supplement plans they either have or can reccommend. It might not help much but anything is better than nothing.

Good luck.
                  I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad; The dreams in which Im dying are the best I've ever had.

Comment

Working...
                  X