Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone not tell their employer about their MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone not tell their employer about their MS?

I've been working at my current company for 4 years now and haven't disclosed of my MS to them; however, I've been out of work for about a month now due to a flare up I've had with loss of weakness in my legs and they're always having me walking around as the managers are just lazy LOL. I'm an Engineer, so I don't NEED to be walking around, but I sometimes need to.

I was wondering though, does anyone here not disclose to their employer about their diagnosis? I'm possibly thinking of switching to Tysabri soon, but would like to know what I could use for an excuse with my employer for when I need to have my monthly infusions...any thoughts??

Thanks so much!!

There are lots of folks who are very open and even eager to talk about details of their lives. For them, telling their employers (and anyone else) about their MS isn't a problem.

There might be some responses here that tell you it's perfectly OK to tell your employer. I can only guess that, when those posters did that, everything went well. I've personally seen and heard of too many of those go badly. Remember, your employer and your coworkers are not your friends. Their loyalty is to the company or their own jobs, not to you.

When it comes to my health, I'm a believer in a couple of things I got from World War II and the US Supreme Court: "Loose lips sink ships" and "anything you say can and will be held against you..."

Legally, you're obligated only to disclose conditions that would make you unable to do your job or that might make you a risk to others. If neither of those is true, you don't have to say anything; if true, you don't have to be specific. You shouldn't lie, but being vague and keeping personal details private isn't lying.

What you do depends on your personality and your situation at work. Can you think of any benefit you'll get from telling your employer you have MS? Does it outweigh the risk you take?

Again, I'm a believer in saying as little as possible, being as vague as possible and keeping it to as few people as possible. Once word is out, there really is no confidentiality. Falsehood, as well as truth, will run rampant. I never said anything to anyone, even when I showed up at work bloated from steroids to the size of a parade float.

As for your leave, you might try saying something as vague as "personal reasons." Or you could say you had a little medical problem, but it got better. You could start going into details about MS, but people generally won't understand anyway. Obviously, to be off work for a month you had to have said something about the reason in order to get the time off. That might be all you need to say.

As for regular time off for Tysabri, what you do also depends on your situation. There are people who need time off every week from their jobs and, depending on their situations, they're often able to arrange it.

If you're lucky, you might be able to get your infusion on your own time and not involve your working time at all. I was fortunate that the infusion center and nurse clinic at my medical center have evening hours. Over the course of several years I was able to get my infusions at night and only had to take one day off work when I couldn't do that.

If your employer allows you to take vacation in one-day increments, you could simply take one day off per month. That doesn't require an explanation to anyone.

But if you want to use personal time, sick time of family leave, you'll probably have to have a medical excuse from your doctor. But your doctor doesn't have to disclose your condition to do it. In fact, it would be illegal to reveal your condition without your permission, which you don't have to give. A generic statement of medical necessity should suffice.

When your doctor writes your medical excuse, it would be preferable if his/her specialty is not specified on the form or letterhead. "Neurology" or "psychiatry" or whatever already already reveals too much about possible conditions you're requesting time off for. In spite of confidentiality laws, people will still talk.

Your medical condition -- and amount of details -- should be disclosed on a need-to-know basis, determined by benefit vs. risk. If you're comfortable disclosing personal information and are prepared for adverse consequences, then go for it. Otherwise, you can keep the details to yourself right up until the time when your ability to do your job is affected -- either by performance or attendance.

Then it becomes your employer's right to know more details. Then it might become beneficial to you to take advantage of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which might enable you to keep your job. But even then, you only need to disclose enough information to justify your request for special considerations. At that point, it might just be easier to say that you have MS, but you don't have to name the condition if you don't want to.

Comment

I won't tell unless I absolutely have to. I know that discrimination exists because I've seen it too many times. If I think I'm going to need accomodations I'll tell but go through human resources first to make sure it isn't used against me.
      Take care, Wiz
      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

shut up

Worked as RN, my co-workers were awesome, Admin sucked! I went from floor nurse to supervisor in under 1 yr, after my ms dx I was never promoted again... for six years till I had to stop due to ms! It's nobody's business!

Comment

When I was dx, I had a great boss and it was never a problem. Then I got a new boss and since everyone in the office knew I told her. For 3 years my life was a nightmare!

Then I changed jobs. I have not told anyone. I call in sick once every 4 weeks for my infusions. Just had #20. No one has ever said anything to me. Since I am in a union I finally did talk to a union lawyer about things when they were going bad. He said to NEVER disclose medical conditions unless you need things changed at your work place and then to call him first about how to go about that. I don't really need anything changed.

I would not take a chance.

Comment

In most cases it would be a mistake to tell your employer. They may seem ok with it, however it will be used to look at what you do in a poor light. Most likely they will only see what you don't do perfect and will hold it against you. It can make it very difficult for you.

My boss at my current partime job has known from the beginning and is great about it. It is a rather unique situation though, she is an exceptionally good person and one of my best friends. She is better at looking out for me than I am.

So, telling can work out ok, just doesn't in most cases.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I disclosed all upon dx. I drive a truck OTR and had to tell them for liability reasons. About 4 months ago i was put on an amphetamine for depression, i had to disclose that also. For me its about liability.

The D.O.T. says no amphetamine and i fell into a depression that hospitalized me. I felt like the cuckoo nest was holding me. I was released 32 hrs later and went home. I have to keep employer informed or they could end up in a law suit and i don't want that. I'm still not allowed by my company until i get a note from doc,(hes in egypt). The company is still giving me a 40 hour check. I love the people i work with they even contacted the co, lawyer to find out what we needed to do.

Well as of now i can keep taking meds, and keep my job. In my situation or if you are in a situation where the symptoms interfere with work, i think its my responsibility to inform them. I would hate to be the reason 53 hard working and loyal people lose their source of income. It would be self serving and wrong.

I'm sure everyones situation is different, and it is a choice, and the last time i checked we were still CALLED a free country.

Comment

I have had to disclose during my work related paper work and physical exams but did not do it until I had a job offer in writing. At that point they could not refuse me a position because I was physically capable of doing the job.

I have never told anyone on the units where I work though. I also fear it would be held against me.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I'll continue to keep my mouth shut about my dx as I don't feel my employer needs to know about it.

Thanks again!

Comment

I had to tell my employer, because we just changed Insurance companies.

Comment

I was pretty open at work during the dx process. They seemed OK with it, but when it came time for layoffs guess who was chosen?

No one at my new job knows. I asked a paralegal friend & was told that unless I require accommadations I am not obligated to tell my employer.

I have no intention of telling this bunch of gossips, but since my sx are all invisible I'm not anticipating a need to disclose.
                      DX 10/2008
                      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have not told and would not recommend doing so unless you have to. It's not that friends and co-workers aren't understanding. But it's just the reality of business. There's too much misinformation about MS out there and employers can jump to the wrong conclusions.

Comment

I can honestly tell you that having MS cost me my job. Do not tell your employer if you can keep it hidden. My diagnosis was written on paperwork that went to my HR department. I can tell you from experience that an employer will find a way to get rid of you before they will pay you to sit home on sick leave.

Comment

Not exactly the same, but I am a college student and I have told my professors my situation only because I wouldn't want to be telling them anything last minute and look like I was just making an excuse. I am a very dedicated student, and like to be as upfront as possible with my teachers.

That being said, I am fairly certain I would not tell my employers. I would tell as little as possible I believe.
                            Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                            ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working...
                            X