New Neuro Appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Neuro Appt

I have an appt with a new neurologist in January. If any of you have read my previous posts, you know what a jerk my other neurologist was.

The new neurologist's office wants my PCP to send my records, which I don't have a problem with, as long as they are HIS records and not any office notes from my previous neurologist. I don't mind my PCP sending copies of all my test results (MRI's, LP, blood work etc). However, I do not want him to send the office notes from my previous neurologist.

The reason behind that is that I don't want any opinions of my other neurologist to carry over to the new one. I sort of want to "start from scratch" and let this new neurologist formulate his own opinion, especially since the previous neurologist never really dealt with any of my symptoms aside from migraines.

Is this a good idea? I am certain that if I ask my PCP to just send what I want he will do so. Also, what sort of questions should I ask this new neurologist? My PCP referred me to this new one because he(my PCP) thinks that he (the new neuro) will take the time to listen and figure out what is going on.

Hello scared

Glad to hear that you have a new neuro and an upcoming appointment!

The new neurologist's office wants my PCP to send my records, which I don't have a problem with, as long as they are HIS records and not any office notes from my previous neurologist. I don't mind my PCP sending copies of all my test results (MRI's, LP, blood work etc). However, I do not want him to send the office notes from my previous neurologist.
    The reason behind that is that I don't want any opinions of my other neurologist to carry over to the new one. I sort of want to "start from scratch" and let this new neurologist formulate his own opinion, especially since the previous neurologist never really dealt with any of my symptoms aside from migraines.
    I understand your reasoning behind wanting to have a clean slate with your new neuro. Just wondering - have you seen the previous neuro's notes?

Is this a good idea? I am certain that if I ask my PCP to just send what I want he will do so.
    Good question. I've never heard of being selective with forwarded medical records, but after all they are your records. Would you consider asking your PCP to see those particular records? In any case, hopefully this new neuro will want to start over fresh with your case.

Also, what sort of questions should I ask this new neurologist? My PCP referred me to this new one because he(my PCP) thinks that he (the new neuro) will take the time to listen and figure out what is going on.
    I think it's more important for you to write down what you need to tell your new neuro, and hopefully he will be the one asking you a bunch of questions.

Your questions will probably depend on the things he tells you? (after you have painted him a real good picture of what's been going on with you, he'll most likely say something to you!)

Maybe some of our members will have some good questions for you to ask your new neuro.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

totally agree with all the good advice koko gave you.
      i can understand your reluctance about the personal notes dr. may have in there. have you seen them?
      with my battle over disability i was able to obtain a record of all my drs. records and notes. what an eye opener!!
      i had a horribly insensitive neuro at vanderbilt in nashville, tn. his notes about made me cry.
      but i'm sure the other drs. i transferred to probably knew his reputation. my new one was very sensitive and understanding and he had a fat file on me when i came there.
      perhaps he was trying harder since he knew i'd had a rough experience?
      never heard of them being selective either. probably too time consuming to remove the notes.
      i wouldn't worry about it. if the next neuro is a good one he/she'll still be good despite the notes.
      you may even want to mention that you'd had a bad experience w/out name calling etc. to the new dr.
      i pray that you get an effective and sensitive dr. this time. they're human so keep trying till you find the right one for you.
      take care & God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

koko then poohb3ar had some good comments. Legally you are entitled to a copy of your records. if I were you I would get a copy for myself to know exactly whats there. I did. When I applied for SSDI I needed to sign authorization to SS for my records and at that time, I thought no one is gonna know more about my health situation than me!

Just call the office and ask for a copy, they can charge a cost for the copy but no clinic,hospital or MRI center did that for me.

When I went to a new clinic they needed a copy of my records from my old clinic---so I had to sign a form authorizing them to send the records. On the form I had to check off what I wanted sent. what dates, if I wanted medical test results sent and if so what dates, and if I wanted personal notes sent....medical documentation are legal documents used in a court of law. So apparently they kept the records in the file separate....personal comments and the medical comments. When I got a copy for myself, I wasn't given an option for those personal comments, so I don't know what is in that part....it could have been notes the doc made to himself about possible diagnosis he was investigating or it could have been comments about me? I don't know, I couldn't see it but I could authorize who could or couldn't see it.

I think like koko said a part of medical training is first a doc always doesn't agree with a diagnosis until verifying the diagnosis for himself. No matter how long the person has been diagnosed, a new doc has to agree for himself, that it is correct. That makes sense because a"disease" may have begun to act inconstant with the original diagnosis over time. A new doc has to evaluate what extra clues have been given over time.

I was diagnosed in the ER then a neuro assumed my care. I saw the notes.

The ER doc wrote the intake notes, then after the MRI he wrote a diagnosis of definite MS. Next morning I saw my new neuro for the first time, I had been admitted to the hospital, so my new neuro stopped in my room the next morning, did a neuro exam. What he wrote after that visit was something like this... 'I will look over the test results for my name..... and will be happy to continue to see her at my office. diagnosis possible MS.'
        I saw him next at his office. then he had changed the diagnosis to definite MS.

When I read the notes I was impressed by how clear the chain of command in the hospital was. From th minute I got to the hospital, the ER doc was responsible for my care. And the ER doc continued to be the doc responsible for my care. The next morning when I saw the neuro, he documented he was the one now in charge of my care.

I'm not sure how to end. I am uncertain how you could specify what medical records you want transfered...except by dates...unless they too keep them in seperate files--and if you chose not to send a part of the record I'm certain it won't make a difference as this new doc will have to decide if he agrees with the last doc about anything before he makes his own conclusions.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your PCP? The new doc will get those records too? they will provide conflicts that will make the new doc have an open mind.

DARN IT ALL. I do know how to end this. I learned much about medical records when I switched. Legally a doc or a clinic can only send the notes they made, their original notes. Thats what they have ownership of, their written work. They do have ownership of any records they did not generate, so they cannot forward anyone elses records. A person has to go to the source of the original records to get a copy or have them transfered......this I learned when I switched clinics. At my old clinic I had written a note to the doc about keeping my drivers license. Since "I" had written that letter, it was not included in my medical records when I transfered to the new clinic. "I" had to provide a copy if I wanted it in the file at my new clinic. I think its a part of hersay in legal terms. A person cannot testify what another person said. The person who said it has to testify what they said, or its hersay. Your PCP office will not transfer any notes/records from your previous neuro--that would have to be transfered from the source, your previous neuro.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
        X