I hate falling down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate falling down

Second time in two days, fell down when out and about.
    Monday leaving the Rec Center, tonight leaving child's school after Christmas concert.
    Each time, people graciously helped me up, fighting back tears. I hate falling down. Use a cane, have foot orthotic but don't use it much. Stupid progressive disease. I didn't hurt myself, going slow, no blood, no need for xrays, but just so tired of having MS. I get used to one level of difficulties, then oh snap, it gets worse.
    Do you relate??

Rose

Hi Rose, yes I can relate! I hate falling down too! But when I do, it's always in my home, where I am 90% of the time.

Because my balance is so bad my life has really changed, and not for the better! Every step I take is a real challange, and that's with a cane!

So glad you didn't get hurt!! I too am so tired of ms!! Just 1 day I would like to get up and not have to think of it. But as soon as I get up I know that the weak leg and bad balance are waiting to greet me again.

Comment

Hi Rose, I'm sorry you fell at your child's Christmas party. Good thing you didn't hurt yourself.

I can totally relate. Last week was my first time falling in public. Usually I fall at home. Scares my dh to death every time he sees me falling.

I hate what MS is doing to my body, my mind and my life. I have a hard time remembering how it was before this darn decease took over.

Take care,
      Ulli
      dx 5/95 rrms

Comment

thanks, y'all
        helps to know I am not the only one.
        Ever read "Tuesdays with Morrie"?
        Morrie slowly losing function due to ALS. Author asks what he would do if Morrie had one day of health.
        Morrie describes ordinary day of eating, walking, dancing again. Author surprised, expecting something grandiose.
        I understood Completely! got misty-eyed reading that part.
        Oh, to dance, play basketball - just walk without thinking about it, oh that would be awesome!

Rosie

Comment

I am with you on this...

I hate falling too and it seems I am doing it more and more. Last Thurs. was my 15 yr old dd's Christmas concert. I was going to get in our van and stepped in a hole and fell hard hurting my ankle and tail bone. I wound up going back in the house and going to bed. I missed her concert. I think my heart was hurt more than the physical pain. But I was in bed until close to noon Saturday. I missed work Friday b/c of it.

My falling has become an issue on my job. I work w/ special needs students on the high school level. The other aides do the most of the physical things. I use a walker at work. It gets in the way of most class rooms so I leave it parked in the hallway and try to make sure there is nothing of value in so if the students who are in the hallway decide to go through the basket, they don't get ahold of anything important.

It's so very frustrating. Most of the teachers and other aides are very understanding, but there are a few that have attitudes towards me. I think its time for me to call it quits, which is a terrifying thought as I really need the insurance.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to let you know, I can relate and it does get to me.

Good luck to you....
          ~Patience~

Comment

Dancing on the Edge

I am a Special Ed Teacher, Intermediate RSP and SDC. I support 6 classes and I feel like I am negotiating every step walking up and down the aisles.

I haven't fallen in class and I don't wear my glasses like I did last year. Just wanted to let you know that most of the teachers that I work are also understanding.

Good Luck

Comment

If your falling more often it may be time for a different mobility aide.

Comment

I don't have MS but Spinocerebellar Ataxia and Cerebellar Degenerative disease so I fall for completely different reasons. I have no warning until I hit the floor. It's very frustrating because it's like my body forgets my orientation to the ground and what my eyes are telling my brain is the opposite of what my feet are saying.

I too don't like to fall, obviously. But when I do and I'm in public I break the shock and tension other people experience by laughing outloud and telling them, "The next floor show will be at 11 or 1, whatever, and I'll be there all week." Works great. Luckily, I've yet to really hurt myself.

This is especially a problem if I'm in the shower and have to close my eyes, I use the grab bars and must stay in contact with the wall with some part of my body. If it is really dark outside I will have the same disorientation problems and fall over. BUMMER!
                Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
                No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Comment

think you may be right, divaonwheels....

Comment

I really hate falling but so far have only done it at home. It happens when I stop paying attention to my MS which is not too often . It is always on my mind,
                    After I fall I do a mental inventory to make sure nothing is broken and then the real trouble starts as I can not get myself up. If I am home alone I usually drag or crawl myself over to the stairs and grab onto the bannnister so I can pull myself up but usually spend a few minutes just laying on the floor crying.
                    Does anyone have any tips on getting up ?

Comment

The falling doesn't bother me as much as the landing , that I really don't enjoy. Times I have fallen when out are usually because I wasn't paying attention enough. I try to do my best. People will usually do what they can to help you, most are pretty nice. And it does scare them that you fell.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

tuesdays with Morrie

Hi
                        I read that book. I was surprised too. All he wanted was a 'normal' day. I would be thrilled with a normal day

Instead for me falling is normal. I broke my foot in Feb in my bf's house. I've fallen so many times I've lost count. I get up slowly and painfully. Usually to my knees and then hopefully and slowly to my knees and finally to my feet.

If all I hurt is my dignity I count myself lucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X