Extreme Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Cold

Last night, it was about 25 degrees. I was outside for about ten minutes....

It felt like the muscles in my jaw and throat were tightening up REALLY badly. It hurt my neck pretty badly. My lymph nodes started swelling up really big and it hurt to swallow for about 20 minutes after I got out of the cold.

I've never experienced anything like that and it was QUITE alarming.

Has something similar happened to anyone else?

Hi Jamilea

It felt like the muscles in my jaw and throat were tightening up REALLY badly. It hurt my neck pretty badly. My lymph nodes started swelling up really big and it hurt to swallow for about 20 minutes after I got out of the cold.
    In the cold I get the tightening muscles, but haven't noticed a swelling of lymph nodes.

I wonder if they felt bigger/more noticeable due to the muscles contracting?

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I suppose that's possible, however, did you get the jaw and neck thing where it hurt to swallow for a bit?

Comment

I get the jaw and throat thing where it hurts to swallow, although this happened without cold to set it off.

I had about four hours one day when every time I swallowed, I would get the worst cramp in the right side of my neck. It was below my jaw and right at the top of the neck - close to where you would press to get your heart rate.

Cold makes my back spasm, especially my lower back.
        "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
        Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

Jamilea

Honestly, I can't say if it was harder to swallow. I think I would notice that. But under the circumstances, I have other issues to contend with when cold, so maybe that's why I didn't notice?

I tighten up/get stiff all over (and definitely in my neck!). And I can't move. Wednesday night I couldn't get my leg in the car - couldn't even reach with my arm to pull it in - so a friend that was there at the meeting was kind enough to lift and push my leg in the car. It was very frustrating!

As with everything else with MS, you may be affected by the cold more harshly in other areas of your body. Or maybe you are dealing with something unrelated to MS?

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Oh I hadn't thought about it that way. I didn't know we could be affected by cold if we are affected by hot, etc etc. I thought the same symptoms would present either way lol

I thought I was going to have it made in the shade this winter eeek!

I know my neck is good disc wise because imaging said. There were no lesions present in April. I think I'll mention it to the doctor to get other things looked at before I just go ahead and think it's MS.

Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Working...
            X