Making Mistakes at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Mistakes at Work

I've been doing customer service for far too long to mention, and I've always been good at my job. I spend a lot of my day writing quotes for customers. Over the last year, I've started making mistakes frequently when I never have before. I'm always shocked to see how I messed up when it comes to light. It's never anything sensible. I have to imagine this is the cog fog affecting me when I don't even notice it. The problem is, when I make a mistake, it costs the company money.

Has anyone else gone through anything like this at work? Do you have any tips for dealing with it and avoiding the mistakes? I feel like I can't do my job anymore, and it's making me crazy.
    Lesions since 2003 (at least). Symptoms since June, 2007. Diagnosed April, 2011.

That's exactly why I switched jobs. I was working with government money and making mistakes there was not a good thing. To my shock as it wasn't in the new job interview and the job I went to also dealt with gov. funds plus, I also dealt with having to learn a new job so felt I'd better quit before I caused havoc and haven't worked since.

My biggest problem was transfering numbers or letters around. Like, $2300 would end up $2030. Even on the phone when I had to call. I don't know how many wrong numbers I dialed. I think, wonder if my fingers went more quickly than my brain was able to process or something.

What helped though, double checking everything (I always ran two tapes when adding money), asking for help from co-workers if possible, like "would you mind proof reading this?" Taking your time and trying (this is the hard part) to relax as it does't help to get stressed before the project thinking you're going to make mistakes.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know I'm feeling your pain. good luck.
    What if trials of this life
    Are Your mercies in disguise?
    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Well, I didn't realize at the time I quit my job what my problem was. I hadn't been diagnosed. I had a job with a great deal of physical stress and mental responsibility. When I was told I was making mistakes I couldn't believe it. I didn't think the problem was me. I had been very good at what I did.

I now work in a much gentler profession; and tho I don't make as much money it is by the the best thing for me.

For me dealing with the mistakes I made was not an option. I had to change professions.

I wish you much luck. I know it is heartbreaking.

Justacowgirl
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Since you are experienced and have been doing this for a while does your skill and speed allow you enough time to double check figures?

I find errors on my second check and that is one way I help avoid them. Good luck.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

This is a new challenge for me

I just recently started having this issue, since the summer when I had my worst ever "episode". I am an admin so I read and generate reports, communicate through e-mail, process numeric and typed info, process payroll, review budgets, etc...... I started noticing little mistakes and some of mine were with money too.

I had to 1- slow down and STOP multi-tasking. 2- ask for someone else to proof read me when it is feasible.

These 2 things have made a huge difference. I don't get as much done as fast but at least my work is still accurate and I still get as much done as anyone else.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I ended up going on disability in 2004, but this brings back memories. I was a test lab technician and was always finding errors in my test reports and mistakes entering data in the computer like Lendi had mentioned. I ended up finding them when I was reviewing the data for other reasons, but who knows how many of them never got reviewed and are still wrong.

And this was before I knew I had MS, although I had other symptoms too such as sleeping at work (even though I got a full night sleep the night before) and difficulty walking.

Comment

I had really similar problems for a few years before being diagnosed.

I have found a quiet work environment helped, or barring that, headphones to block out distractions, and checking all my work either at the end of the day or the following, all of these helped. Also lots of coffee, and frequent short breaks, and staying late when needed to finish things so I didn't have to rush.

Also I made a bunch of quick reference sheets for things I had trouble remembering, and excel spreadsheets to help with some calculations.

Comment

I too have the same issues. I have been doing customer service for years. I have always had positions with high levels of responsibility that demanded organization and frequent interruptions.

I never had any issues up until Dec of last year. I began to slow down. My processing of info was very slow. My speach became affected and stayed that way from Feb til late March.

I went on medication to help the fatigue and slow processing time. ( wellbutrin sr 150) it helped significantly, but I still have issues with numbers and making mistakes.

Now I am at the point where my job is on the line. The only diagnosis I have at this point is mild cognitive impairment, memory problems and probable ALS with front temporal lobe dementia.

I am not convinced that this new probable diagnosis is correct. I think it's just another thing to rule out.

Despite this, I am taking a short term leave. The MS and memory clinic where I go at UTSW is signing off on it.

I am exceptionally grateful.. Now just to get over the ftld hump. You guys having errily similar symptoms and issues is some what encourgaging.

-- sorry for the typos or misspelling. I guess you all understand.

L

Comment

in the same boat

I tend to make many more errors than I used too..not just with my typing but also my speech..luckily my boss has put me into a different position focusing on marketing as opposed to crunching numbers which included making up quotations for others.

Double checking may help eliminate some of the errors. If you have a co-worker who is sympathetic to your situation perhaps you could ask that they give you a hand by quickly reviewing your quotes before you send them off. I guess it depends how elaborate the quote is as to whether they could do so in a timely fashion otherwise perhaps asking for some different types of responsibilities may make things easier for you.

When working is more difficult it doesn't help if you are stressed about any errors you may be making as well. Hope you are able to come up with a solution

Comment

Nothing else except what others said. I thought when I left retail, money istakes cause of no feeling in hands and too tired from standing 8 hrs. a day. I thought I would go back to work for dh in insurance. Whoa, too many mistakes with numbers, so I stayed home, then my MS dx came and at lest it made sense to me. I am now on SSDI and I find some days, I cannot even type correctly on here or FB. Luckily my dd has my FB passwords, so she goes in and fixes my mistakes. Good luck with these problems.

JudySz

Comment

Trick;
                      I double check all my work before I print and check again the printed copy.
                      For some reason things are more noticeable in print, and seem hidden on the screen.

Medication;
                      Ampyra got rid of most of my brain fog, along with many other MS symptoms.

Diet;
                      Heavy metals accumulation can lead to brain fog, and cilantro, garlic, green tea, and antioxidants and help you body get rid of them.

If your Gluten sensitive, going on a Gluten free diet and made a big difference.

Having a vitamin and mineral blood test panels done, could guild you to some answers.

I changed my diet this year to be anti-inflammatory, high antioxidants, etc. and I think it is helping me mentally and well as physically.

Exercise; (Mind and body)
                      A good cardio workout and “brain games” are things that are calmed to help.
                      I do brain games mainly because I enjoy them, just do a web search for brain games and you will find a ton of them.

Daylight bulbs;
                      I had my office standard 4’ fluorescents bulbs changed to daylight/ Full spectrum bulbs, and wow it has help. They help eye strain, winter blues, sleep and should increase vitamin D, all things that should lead to less mistakes.

Deep Thinking;
                      http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106628
                      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I have worked in the computer field for the past 15 years and I have found over the last few years that I get confused easily and my quality was being affected.

What I found helpful was speaking with my manager about the challenges I am having. I explained that I may not produce as much work as before as I am wanting to ensure the quality does not suffer.

As of the past 2 weeks I only talk to customers 2 hours a day, and the rest I work via email and chat messages. This way I can control the converations/distractions and focus to find the true problems.

My customers have developed a intense loyalty to me because they know that when I am am working for them, they have my sole attention and nothing else comes in the way.

I have been very fortunate that my management team has been supportive and even when I find I can't work because words just dont make sense they are happy to have me in whatever capacity they can.

BTW... if you dont have FMLA ... get it going... it can save your job.

Comment

Working...
                        X