evoked potentials question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

evoked potentials question

I have been in limboland for 6 months now... Clear MRI of brain and spine, "atypical" symptoms (parasthesia and tinnitus), and clear blood tests. But now proof it is not all in my head...

EMG results were normal, but somatosensory evoked potentials were not. I know nothing except what the secretary told me over the phone: evoked potentials abnormal for legs and eyes. I won't see the neuro again till late January.

I thought only Visual EPs could show eye abnormalities??? Does this mean I have PNS and CNS problems??? Could it be that the signals are late from legs because of CNS problems, so that the leg issues do not reside in the PNS?

My presentation of symptoms does look autoimmune so is it most likely that I have progressive MS that did not show on an MRI? I still have not had a lumbar puncture but I guess that is next.

Any ideas? I feel so clueless right now I can hardly guess at what it could be...

Originally posted by copeching View Post
    EMG results were normal, but somatosensory evoked potentials were not. I know nothing except what the secretary told me over the phone: evoked potentials abnormal for legs and eyes. ... I thought only Visual EPs could show eye abnormalities?
    You're correct. The VEP is the only evoked potential that can evaluate for abnormalities in the visual system (which could mean optic nerves and/or the visual pathways in the brain). If you didn't have a VEP, your visual function wasn't tested, which is odd considering that the VEP is specifically mentioned in the McDonald diagnostic criteria.

An SSEP doesn't evaluate visual function. Is it possible that the person on the phone said legs and arms? Or maybe meant legs and arms? Can you get a copy of your test results before your neuro appointment?

Comment

Working...
    X