Disneyworld in May Tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disneyworld in May Tips please

Will be doing DisneyWorld this may (3rd week). Taking an adult who has developmental disabilities & ADHD, DH has RA. We will have our own car and my personal wheelchair and crutches.
    Any and all tips welcome, especially as to "do" Disney, the dining plan yes/no and places to stay. I have not done a vacation since diagnosis. Really want to make the most of it without going broke (ha) or being miserable.

Thanks everyone!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

I went in June last year and it was very hot.

This year we are going May 21-28, to avoid some of the crowds and the heat.

I bring in a medium sized cooler full of ice and bottled water with extra packs for my phase change cooling vest.

I start with the first set of cooling packs in the AM that lasts until lunch. We book a nice lunch every day in one of the restaurants with AC and take 1-2 hours to eat and cool off (these MUST be booked in advance or you can wait 2-3 hours for a table). While everyone is eating etc. I change the vest packs.

I'm not a huge Disney fan, we go for our girls, I much prefer Sea World.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Magic Kingdom

On the day that you do the Magic Kingdom we find it a great escape to take the monorail to the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, or Polynesian and enjoy a lunch there instead of the park. Less crowds and they have A/C. Also less lines for the bathroom. Enjoy your trip.

Comment

I take my marching band there every other year and have picked up some tips.

Do not buy bottled water. Ask for cups of water at any food vendor. Free is a lot better than $3.00.

Utilize the fast passes. you can store up fast passes throughout the day. The do not expire. Look at the time at the bottom to see when you can get more.

Go see Fantasmic at MGM at night. get there at least an hour early. Definately worth the wait.

most stores are connected in the parks. If you want to stay in the air conditioning and not fit the crowd travel through stores.

Buy ponchos at walmart now. If it rains down there and you buy them there, you will be spending quite a bit.

While at walmart get a spray bottle with a fan. they are $20.00 down there.

If you got a park hopper ticket, there may also be free special passes included for water parks. Go to Typhoon lagoon, not Blizzard Beach. BB is very crowded and TL has an amazing wave pool. Also go to DIsneyquest at downtown Disney as one of the specials.

Don't try taking meals into the parks. Tried it before, then realized the saved money is not worth it.

Try to get there before the parks open. There will already be a line, but worth it.

If I think of any more I'll write again.

Comment

Contact Disney online

When I took my parents, who were both disabled due to health problems, I went online and you will find Disney has info about how to manage when you are disabled or take someone who is.

I was able to get two wheelchairs from Disney. We picked them up at the park entrance.

My parent's could walk, but not far. When we got into the park we went to one of the rides and stood in a long line; had to leave the wheel chairs at the area where the
          ride finished.

It was hard on my mom and dad to stand in the line.

I soon found out (from the ride operator) that we didn't have to stand in line! We just went to a special area that they pointed out and they put on us first! Then when we got off our wheel chairs were right there.

Same with watching the parades....there is a special section for those who are disabled. Just go there and you have a front row seat.

It's been awhile and I cannot remember if we had special wrist tags or just what.

We stayed at the park. That worked out really well. We were also able to park the car nearby and it was handy to get to the places inside we wanted to go to. No bus rides (they are the pits), no standing in the heat for up to an hour waiting for the bus to pick you up.

Go early; we went early and then we went to our rooms in the heat of the day.

We picked one special place to eat one day. It is very expensive to eat at Disney. We just ate at our hotel most days (still expensive).

We took my parents for their 50th Wedding Anniversary. They were in Orlando during the 2nd world war. My dad was stationed there and there was no Disney World then. They were awed by the changes; couldn't even speak!

Anyway, do check with the Disney folks. I think it will be helpful.
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Thank you for all the tips - keep them coming!

I do know I need to get a Guest Assistance Card upon entrance to a park (good at all Disney parks for entire trip). I also need to bring my gel filled w/c-bike gloves for me to save my hands (based on a tip from a friend with SCI)

Any places I should think of staying at or avoiding based on experience. I need a w/c accessible roo and the reviews are all over the place. I want to, but think it is financially undoable to stay at a Disney resort; thus looking at hotels in the area.

Again, thanks so much! I look forward to more hints from those who know

Comment

Actually, the All Star resorts are reasonable. They have different themed hotels, like all star music, all star sports and all star movies. When you stay at those hotels, you get buses that shuttle you to the parks. This is good because staying off campus means you have to pay for parking. Parking fees are very outrageous. The money you save on parking fees in conjunction with the all star pricing, makes for your best deal. You also get to enter the parks at a special early time on certain days, when staying on campus.

Comment

With the guest assistance and not having to wait in any lines it makes things so much better. You can actually finish a park if you want to.

My advice is take it day by day. If you stay on the property in Disney then go back in the afternoon to nap or go swimming.

If not just don't try to do too much. And definitely get your assistance card so you have no lines to deal with

Comment

We stayed at hotels that were on the monorail so it was much easier to get back and forth. We would go back to the hotel for lunch and a rest while it was hot and very crowded, then return to the park in the evening when it was cooler. You also get perks by staying at a Disney property - early entry, discounts on other parks, and a bunch of other things I can't remember.

The park hotels may be more expensive, but look for packages and specials, and consider what you save in transportation time, parking fees, and the ability to eat home-made sandwiches (or whatever) instead of expensive Disney restaurants.

Definitely second the suggestion to purchase a water bottle with spray fan attached - a necessity when you get hot and tired. And put some ice cubes in the water bottle too!

As others point out, take advantage of all that Disney does for those with disabilities.

There was a book we used when we visited Disney more often when the kids were little - Something like "The Unofficial Guide To WDW" - I have still seen it in bookstores. At one time, my employer had discount cards for employees that were visiting WDW - sometimes they offered great bargains.

And about those changes since WWII - the airport abbreviation for Orlando is MCO and that stands for McCoy Field, dating back to when it was a tiny USAF military field converted to civilian and then commercial use. My parents retired to the area in 1970, just before Disney opened, and even I see huge changes in those 40 years. Before DDT in the 1950's to get rid of mosquitoes and yellow fever - that place was barely more than a swamp!

Comment

I think staying in the Disney World environ is the only way I'd go.. The buses are exhausting.

The main consideration for me would be when i would get too hot or tired I could get right back to my room and rest.

I could never do Disney in the heat anymore.

I have stayed outside the world, but we drove in ourselves, no bus. We then were able to drive up to an area close to the entrance gates. They have disabled parking also, so if you have a tag for your car you should use it

I'd rather save up to afford a stay inside Disney even if it meant waiting longer. This would of course depend on how able you are!

I can't do heat.

Good Luck...Diane
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

My husband and I spent a day at Disney last July and it was HOT. I doubt May will be all that much cooler. So, make sure everyone going can tolerate heat/humidity. I think we spent 5 or 6 hours there and it was just about enough for me. We only went there because we were already on vacation nearby and I'd never been. I don't know that I would specifically go just for that. Have you been before? It's hot, crowded, loaded with screaming kids... not the most relaxing place on earth. Just tossing that out if you've never been.

If you're set on Disney, then I would definitely stay at the Disney resort complex. Being able to get back to your room when you need a break would be really, really nice.
                      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Comment

More of my two cents worth...

One time we stayed at Disney we stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort. They had a great deal....I think it was less than $99.00 a day.

That resort is a place where there is much to do at the resort itself; you could actually hang out there and not be bored.

We had our young grandkids with us and they loved it. You can see the animals from your room. There were also activities to participate in.

There is a dining room there ..I don't think much of any of Disneys dining rooms for the most though; it's mostly expensive for what you get.

I agree with not taking food into the park. It's just going to make it harder. Disney is very crowded; it gets worse as the day goes on.

We always just planned one special thing each day and went early. The heat can be overwhelming.

The best way to go to Disney is to have a plan. Going from one park to another is hard, so better to go to one and just stay for the day. Save Epcot or others for another day.

Now days we just go to Epcot if it's just adults.

Plan, plan, plan.

Comment

We used the Birmbaums (spelling) Book and it was such an accurate tool. Get the meal plan and the park hopper tickets....well worth it.
                          dx summer 07, confirmed fall 07 started Copaxone 12/07 Switched to Tecfediera 2014

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

We got an unexpected and fabulous offer from a friend who is a snowbird - she is letting us (insisting, actually) that we use her home 20 mins from the main gates to Magic Kingdom. Has washer and dryer too, so less to pack. We can cook our own meals as we feel like it. She also told me to take a break & head to the mall or the house in the heat of the day, then go back to a park in the evening.

The Disney properties were a bit out our price range and leave plenty for misc (like food, souvenirs, etc)

So we are doing a 4 park ticket (Magic pass) with the Park Hopper, Fun & More package (water parks, etc) and no expiration. Found the best prices were at AAASouth.

Plan to hang a backpack on my w/c, wear a fanny pack instead of my purse and tote some water &/or ask for cups. We will eat in the parks while we are there. Will take breaks if it gets to crowded/hot/etc. We will have our own car, so will use my handicapped hang tag.

What else do I need to think of? I only know my friend said to avoid Magic Kingdom on Mondays, as every vacationer starts there first at the beginning of their trip. Will get me and my kid sister Guest Asst Cards and take advantage of them. Will pick up 3 ponchos at Wally word to have stashed in the backpack in case of rain.

Anything else?

Comment

Go up to search this forum and put in Disney or Disneyworld and you will get a bunch of older posts about traveling to the "Happiest Place on Earth"

I have been many times, but only once since MS. It was in December and the weather was GREAT, but I still overdid and learned some things for my next trip. Have a great time...........Jan
                              God only promises a safe landing, not a calm passage

If you stumble, make it part of your dance

Comment

Working...
                              X