Has anyone taken Lupron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone taken Lupron?

I was reading this thread - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106983 - on the connection between menstruation and symptom flare-ups and thought I'd start a new thread to ask my question rather than hijacking that one.

I do not have an MS diagnosis (first neuro appt. in the morning), but I have noticed a definite connection with my MS suspicious symptoms and my hormones. This past week I had my worst flare-up to date. My period was 4 days late. Once it finally started, I began to feel a little better. Now that it's over today, I'm feeling much, much better.

I had gone to my gyno when all these strange symptoms first started several months ago. They didn't think it sounded like a gynological problem, but did a pap and an ultrasound. Nothing was out of the ordinary. I have endometriosis, but have for years with no dizziness, numbness, tingling, etc.

So, my gyno's only suggestion was to cure the endo and see what would happen if I went estrogen free for 6 months by taking Lupron. I told him I wanted to wait until after I'd seen a neurologist (it's taken me awhile to get in). I didn't want to take any risks of Lupron actually making it worse.

So what do you think? Would Lupron be a bad thing or a good thing? I definitely flared-up before and during my period this month, but in the past it has been around the time of ovulation. Those are on two opposite ends of the estrogen spectrum! So I don't know if the Lupron could help stave off symptoms or if it would make things worse. It would basically cause me to go through early menopause.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

Yes I took Lupron for 6 months after I had endometriosis lasered out. It put me into a temporary menopause, not a permanent one.

At about month two, I started to have about 50+ hot flashes per day, so we added a small amount of estrogen to calm them down.

This was all prior to MS, so I don't really have any idea of how it might affect you. I don't understand how this "cures" endometriosis. I had to have endo lasered out a second time after the lupron.

Theoretically, knowing that there are studies of taking estradiol to help MS, I do question if eliminating estrogen would help. I'll be curious to hear what your neuro says, but am not confident a neuro is going to know much about gyn problems.

Comment

Working...
    X