Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo Hoo! Finally got Daylight bulbs put into my office. Anyone have daylight bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo Hoo! Finally got Daylight bulbs put into my office. Anyone have daylight bulbs?

It took 3 months of pushing for it and I already changed a lot of the lights in my house to Daylight bulbs, but finally having my work’s office lights change is really nice.

And FYI if you don’t know why getting daylight bulbs are good for MSers here is a list.

Reduce eye strain
    Reduce winter Blues “Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD syndrome”
    Reduce Insomnia (sunlight produces a chemical in your eyes, that help you sleep at night)
    Reduce Fatigue
    Increase vitamin D3 and that should Reduce change for spring relapse and increase in symptoms.
    That happens when D levels are at their lowest.

Now the benefits are not that well proven, I think the increase in D3 has only been proving in pet birds.
    But with reduced energy cost, longer life of bulbs, and removal of what now look to me that ugly yellow hue even on the slim chance none of the health benefits happen the switch is worth it.

I would really enjoy hearing from anyone else that has switched, as to what you have experienced.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

We had them at my ex-home. (My husband and I are separated.) MY MIL had them downstairs in her apartment we made for her, and we had them upstairs in the kitchen. I liked them, especially in winter. I don't have them in my apartment now, though you may have just talked me into getting some.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Personally, I couldn't stand the light they produced--it was too blue. I switched mine all back. I don't suffer from SAD, though. I actually feel more energized as the seasons get darker and colder, and have my own sort of reverse SAD when summer comes, so maybe that why why they weren't for me.

Comment

Hi sir-voor, how can I tell if we have them at my husbands new office or not. They seem very white compared to the warmer ones we had at the old office and I want to make sure whatever he has the are good for SAD?

Comment

Originally posted by sw8689 View Post
          Hi sir-voor, how can I tell if we have them at my husbands new office or not. They seem very white compared to the warmer ones we had at the old office and I want to make sure whatever he has the are good for SAD?
          Generally they have a bluish tint instead of the golden/yellow that normal lights have.
          But I believe there are normal lights that create a similar tint, so I would ask who ever manages the building lights what they are.
          Being that they also have a lower energy cost/green and is a new office the chances are good, that they are daylight bulbs.

LOL, I can't believe how many co-workers have committed on them. They really change the looks of my office, the blue carpet looks bright and clean like it is new. and the wall look like they are painted a different color then those outside my office, even though they are not.

Comment

We have florescent tubes in our office. Can those be changed to daylight lamps, and, if so, is that pretty expensive?

We also have al lot of those spiral florscents in our home. Can those be switched, too?

Thanks, this is a great idea.

Comment

And let there be.....
              ....day

I have daylight bulbs in my reg fixtures (U no spirals) and 4 ft tubes in my shop and home office...

I went to them a couple years ago. Lots more light per watt as well as less eyestrain for me. Thye cost a little more, shop around, you can get them at box box home stores in multi-pack a lot cheaper than yeller dingy ones at places like wal-mart etc. I get my spirals at Menard's (a regional chain) and the 4' tubes I got by the case at Homeless depot.

Never thought of the health aspect, shame on me!

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Those 4’ long office bulbs can be changed to daylight bulbs, it depends on the brand but they should only cost a little more to buy the bulbs. But they will last longer and reduce energy cost.
                Home bulbs can be changed, I recommend getting higher wattage ones.
                Some times they can be too big to fit, but the blue hue gets washed out by the other hues with the higher watt bulbs.
                The only problem you can have is with three brightness level lamps and lights on a dimmer switch. They do make daylight bulbs for them, but they are more costly.
                I think they are LEDs bulbs, and don’t know if all white LEDs are full spectrum/daylight or not.

Speaking of lights, I have a great Christmas tree lights tip.
                Get a “Lamp Dimmer Cord” like “Lutron LC-300NLH-WH” and use with your Christmas tree lights.
                Not only does it make it easer to turn them on/off and you can dim the tree for bedtime or watching TV, it really gives a tree a cool new look.
                And saves a little electric use.

Comment

Just wanted to give a update on what effect switching to daylight bulbs have on me.

After there where installed in the morning I felt less eye-strain (kind of a mild burning feeling) by the after noon. Maybe because I’m blond and have sensitive eyes, wow it is nice.

They have helped my sleep, so I believe the clams (sunlight produces a chemical in your eyes, that help you sleep at night).
                  Before the switch I knew I was not getting proper amount of sleep, but did not feel it.
                  After switching to daylight bulbs I was extra tired/sleepy for a few weeks, until I got caught up on sleep.

It is too early to know if it’s affecting my D level or MS, but I believe they are and I highly recommend them.

Comment

Only two Sir Voor?

I rate DAYlight

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

PS editor mess-n-down?

Comment

I don't think you will find full-spectrum LED lights. The only full-spectrum's I have seen are fluorescents, they do appear somewhat bluish since they are a very high temp light, about 6000 degrees, no they are not hotter. Have used one for quite a while at the computer desk.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Great for you

I moved to Vermont before my DX and had a lot of problems with depression. It was advised to try them out.
                        I got a bank of 48 inch tube lights that sit above my computer. I only have to use them for about 15 min three times a week to keep things on leve. Good for you. Keep us posted on how they word. Mine are working just fine.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X