Shivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shivers

I am not sure the title 'Shivers' is the right thing, but can't think of any other word to describe how I feel. I was diagnosed with MS in September, although it seems I have had the disease since the mid 80's. My biggest problems now are balance and vertigo/dizziness. I have just completed a second course of IV Solu-Medrol (which I really don't think I will ever do again) and am starting to experience tingling/numbness in my hands and feet.

But I also experience this shivery type feeling, not as bad as when you get the flu, but I get cold and chilly and put a cardigan on, then after a while I get too warm and take it off. Does anyone else experience this?

Also, my last MRI showed lesions in the frontal lobes of my brain, not the central part which would affect my balance, should my neurologist be doing more tests to see why the balance is so bad??

Sorry this is so long, it's all so new to me, and somewhat scary too! Thanks for your help!

Wendy

[QUOTE=britbobbi;1263328]I am not sure the title 'Shivers' is the right thing, but can't think of any other word to describe how I feel. I was diagnosed with MS in September, although it seems I have had the disease since the mid 80's. My biggest problems now are balance and vertigo/dizziness. I have just completed a second course of IV Solu-Medrol (which I really don't think I will ever do again) and am starting to experience tingling/numbness in my hands and feet.

But I also experience this shivery type feeling, not as bad as when you get the flu, but I get cold and chilly and put a cardigan on, then after a while I get too warm and take it off. Does anyone else experience this?

You might be reacting to the meds... I know I did this the last time I had steroids. It's rare, though.

Originally posted by britbobbi View Post
    Also, my last MRI showed lesions in the frontal lobes of my brain, not the central part which would affect my balance, should my neurologist be doing more tests to see why the balance is so bad??
    Balance is impacted by the vertigo, and I hate to say it, pretty typical with MS, no matter where the lesion is. Neurologists often test balance as a part of the MS exam.

Comment

While many people with MS have problems with heat, some of us are opposites and have problems with cold.
      In my case, I can get a shiver that quickly developes into uncontrolable shaking. This was the first real tip-off I had that something wasn't right.

Comment

There are several reasons why your balance is bad. Has the neuro done the test where you put your feet together, and close your eyes? If you fall over, then it's a positive Romberg's sign.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/RombergTest.html
        "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
        Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

Balance

Yes, I was at my neurologist's office 2 weeks ago. I couldn't do the heel to toe walk, was just falling sideways and was then asked to stand still with my arms out in front and my eyes closed and they had to catch me as I was falling backwards!!

I think my husband was surprised to see it, he's just so used to my saying I was dizzy, I think actually seeing how I am was an eye opener for him!

Wendy

Comment

I get the shivers also, same as you. It usually doesn't last long and sweatshirt usually does the trick.

Not sure if it's the MS or the meds.
            DX 3-2010

You can't change the cards you're dealt, only the way you play the hand.

Comment

Yes, i get the awful shivery feeling inside me and can't believe I'm not showing obvious signs of shivering on the outside?

Since the weather changed I find myself almost always cold (whether inside or outside! ). I have to sit with a hot pat, heating blanket or just a plain blanket. Eventually I warm up, but it takes a while.

It is a miserable feeling.

I just give in to it; wear heavier clothing (fleece helps) and do what I can to feel warmer.

In the summer I'm too hot !

Sure is frustrating.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
              X