No wheelchair at airport!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wheelchair at airport!!

Long story short, last month my daughter and I were on vacation in the Midwest and coming home was a nightmare! Our trip home took 4 air flights. The weather caused our 1st flight to be somewhat delayed and the nightmare happened when we finally got to a major airport and there was no wheelchair waiting for me as prearranged!!!

I frantically asked for one as we had precious minutes to spare to catch the next flight to the west coast.... Had to wait 15 min. for a w/c and when we finally got to our gate, they had just closed the door even tho the plane was still on the ground. Well, that set up a domino affect.... we had to wait 4 hours to catch the next flight which in turn made us miss our last plane home.. there were no more flights to our small airport that night!

Well, I was exhausted beyond belief and my husband had to take off work to drive 2 hours to pick us up and another 2 hrs. to get home. I was told by ticket agents that I would not get reimbursed for that last flight that we missed

So, I wrote and filed a nasty complaint to the major airline company and just heard back that they will reimburse me for that last segment plus gave us $200 vouchers for our next trip!

Just relaying this in case any of you ever find yourselves in this situation. STICK UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Wow, that's a bad situation. I've only been using the handicap/wheelchair airport help for a couple years and have been very pleased with it. But I recognize its very dependent on the airlines and airports involved. You can only do so much to ensure the process will be engaged, I have generally checked the entire itinerary at intitial check in and if time is am issue sometimes the flight attendants, prior to landing.

Some airports are brutal to moving around, with everything else involved, I am less inclined to fly even without my disability issues.
    Steve
    sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

No more flying...

Due to the recent 'upgrades' regarding getting to the plane as a innocent American who happens to also be in a wheelchair...I will not subject myself to the demeaning 'guilty until proven innocent ' invasion of physical body privacy nor will any of my family members whom also often flew on vacations etc...

I am glad for you that everything worked out well for you though.
      ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
      dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Seasha, I'm PROUD of YOU! Way to stick up for yourself and not just give in.

GOD Blss
        Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
        Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

wheelchair

I was in the ER one night waiting for a friend, and a nurse turfed a one-legged woman out of the wheelchair so they could use it for a new arrival!

Comment

Glad you did the right thing and notified the airlines.

Glad they did the right thing as well.

I would forward a copy of your letter to the airlines to your local ADA office so they can follow up at the airport as well.

Gina
            Faith, Hope & Love
            Gina
            MS 1988 SPMS 2005

Comment

B.Y.O.M.......

Bring Your Own Mobility.....

Way to go Seasha.......

More people need to stand up for themselves, few do.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Originally posted by Anomalie View Post
                Due to the recent 'upgrades' regarding getting to the plane as a innocent American who happens to also be in a wheelchair...I will not subject myself to the demeaning 'guilty until proven innocent ' invasion of physical body privacy nor will any of my family members whom also often flew on vacations etc...

I am glad for you that everything worked out well for you though.
                Anomalie - You raised a good point here - what does one do if in a w/c and can't stand in those body scanners? Do you get a pat down while sitting? Or if you can stand, but can't raise your arms for very long? I mean, come on...!!

Luckily for me, the small airports I took off from didn't have the scanners in place yet- that would have been another annoying headache!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X