problem with rebif leg shot please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with rebif leg shot please advise

Hi, so ive been on rebif for about 18 weeks now and never had a problem with injecting, a couple of weeks ago I did a shot in my right leg everything was going fine but when i pulled the needle out a huge blood bubble came out. I was surprised at the amount of blood and began panicking. I was massaging the area and it felt like there was a knot under where I had injected. I called ms lifelines they said I might of hit a cappilary, the next day the knot was smaller but not all the way gone it took a few days to go away completely.

all my other shots went fine I continued with my rotation then last night I got back to injecting in my right leg, the same thing happened, it bled and I could feel the knot, I massaged it and didnt panic but this morning I woke up its a quarter size black and blue bruise.

why does this keep happening has anyone else experienced the same thing? Im scared to inject in my right leg now :[

I am on Betaseron, I have not had this happen but I would for sure call Rebif and let them know it happened a second time. The nurse there should be able to guide you on what to do. Maybe not use that area or exact spot again?

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

I've never been on rebif, but a word of advice - if you were assigned a nurse, call them directly. I found that my beta nurse (I was on betaseron for a while) would give much better advice than the script used by the main line.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
        I've never been on rebif, but a word of advice - if you were assigned a nurse, call them directly. I found that my beta nurse (I was on betaseron for a while) would give much better advice than the script used by the main line.
        Very true.

CrazyCatLady
        MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Leg shot

Originally posted by dontstopbelieving View Post
          Hi, so ive been on rebif for about 18 weeks now and never had a problem with injecting, a couple of weeks ago I did a shot in my right leg everything was going fine but when i pulled the needle out a huge blood bubble came out...[
          Hi there! Hope all is well. Hope you are enjoying college life

I have had the same thing happen to me on my leg. Its most likely a capillary. I wouldnt worry. I feel a slight soreness at my old injection sites as well as have red spots everywhere. I also got a nasty black and blue (mostly black) on my arm from using the Rebiject. I stopped using it a while ago since I think its a bit harsh on my skin and it kind of hurts.

Just remember to inject slowly and try to avoid the same areas over and over again!

Comment

thank you everyone who responded!

i called rebif and the nurse told me its actually pretty common to hit a capillary, she said to just avoid my leg for a few rotations to let it heal completely. Its relieving to know its normal its just scary when something out of the ordinary happens and the site of my blood makes me feel faint.

MellyNJ thank you for your response, i am doing good at school actually, things are getting back to normal finally since my diagnosis. I have a boyfriend now and im keeping my grades up, its amazing how life goes on. I hope you are doing well too! I never use the rebiject it scares me how fast it goes in I could definitely imagine it causing bruising.

Thank you for everything!

Comment

That's very common with any injected med. It's very easy to hit a vein, which is more likely the case if you've bruised. Capillaries are so tiny (the width of a single cell) that they can only allow blood cells to flow in single file. They are simply everywhere. Where ever you inject, every time you inject , you are going through them. Look for a video on YouTube called "Capillaries/Biology/Anatomy" by greatpacificmedia. It explains capillaries very well.

What caused your bruising is likely hitting a vein, which can allow substantial bruising due to the volume of blood that does flow through them. You're bound sooner or later to do it and you were "lucky" enough to do it twice in a row.

In addition to the advice your nurse gave you, I'll give you two additional tips. First, on the day before your injection, hydrate well. As with preparing for infusions, being well hydated makes the veins easier to find. It's not as obvious as the vein they'd look to start an IV in, but being well hydrated will make a subtle difference in your ability to spot and avoid at least some of the closer to skin veins. Secondly, either warm the intended injection site with a warm gell pack or inject ASAP after a shower. Either of those will make the veins more visible and again, easier to avoid. Plus, you get the added benefit of the skin being more easily pierced after a shower.

Comment

Leg Injections with Rebif

Sounds like you hit a capillary, for sure there. Do you have very little "fluff" on your legs (i.e. leg fat or flab)? It seems easier when I find a spot that is not so "muscle-y", and I don't bleed then.

I have come up with a creative spot that is not necessarily on the standard Rebif injection site diagrams: I have some flab on my inner thighs and it's been a dream to inject there when I rotate to that area (also the "love handles" work well on the hips).

Good luck!
                Blessings (and better injections)
                Biscuit
                Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
                Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X