good touch bad touch and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good touch bad touch and MS

So I am asking this question because my husband keeps telling me to ask the doctor if I have Fibromyalgia. It is crazy painful when people touch me. It is like even the nicest meant hug hurts. Whenever I explain this to my PCP who is a PA, she mentions that it would be best to discuss it with my Neuro.

I understand her position, but is there nothing out there to help with this constant pain??? I'm not asking for a miracle, just the ability to hug my kids without wincing.
    Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

I've found that my doctors seem to forget management unless I ask- there are things that are not simply diagnosis and cure . Have you asked her straight out? Part of the reason she may not want to address the problem is that she's a PA (less training), in which case, you may need to see a doctor.

Comment

I don't have a dx of MS, but do have one of fibromyalgia. I have to say that a hug doesn't make me go crazy in pain, but when the rheumatologist pressed on all the tender points - I did have tons of pain!!! Now again, I have rheumatoid arthritis to throw into the mix too...Ask your PA if she knows where the pressure points are for the "test" for fibro...if she doesn't then see someone who does...I wish you well
      Diagnosis in process...Brain and spinal MRI negative...still with symptoms

Comment

First of all, so sorry for you and anyone who hurts that badly that a hug is painful.

Fibromyalgia is a legit DX for those with chronic pain and yes those pressure points tell it all..BUT.. this issue also tells you how much docs have no training/experience in going further to find out WHY your pressure points are bothersome/painful.

I have had the Fibro DX a couple of times, but to me, having had alternative helpful treatments, do not forget how our bodies CRAVE minerals and supplements ESPECIALLY because of all the meds that deplete them.

Good luck and let us know how you feel ok?

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by rocky282 View Post
          Whenever I explain this to my PCP who is a PA, she mentions that it would be best to discuss it with my Neuro.
          Hi rocky:
          Part of the problem with your PA's unhelpfulness lies in the contradiction: a Primary Care Physician has to be, in fact, a physician, not a physician's assistant. Your PA isn't your PCP. PAs practice only under the supervision of a physician. Do you even know who the physician is who's supervising your PA? Considering how complex your medical history is, would you be better served by an actual MD?

It's possible (and from the sound of it, probable) that your PA is deferring you to your neuro because she knows she isn't qualified to be diagnosing or prescribing for fibromyalgia.

Back before there were medications approved for fibromyalgia, rheumatologists and other MDs pretty much stuck to the diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia, including the pressure points. (Back then, I had many of the painful symptoms of fibromyalgia but couldn't get a diagnosis because I didn't have enough tender pressure points to meet the criteria.) Now that there are FDA-approved meds, doctors are diagnosing even marginal cases as being fibromyalgia just so patients' insurance will pay for the meds.

So yes, there are things that may help with the pain, including medications like Lyrica and Savella. There are other meds, devices and techniques to help with fibromyalgia (or fibromyalgia-like conditions), and you can easily learn more about them with a google search. But for a diagnosis and Rx, you'll have to see an MD -- preferably a rheumatologist or neurologist.

Comment

THanks for some answers

I see a new Neurologist on the 13th of December. My insurance is good, but picky so I'm sure she is doing right by recommending that the neuro say what is reasonable. As far as going to an MD, so far I haven't met one I like, lol. My PA, I love her, she listens, asks lots of questions, and any non neuro med she is happy to help me with. Unfortunately, having such a complicated neuro workup makes her hesitant to prescribe any neuro drugs.

On my last visit she said I reminded her of the last episode she watched about HOUSE. His patient had almost all of the symptoms that I present, just in a more dramatic form. I am going to watch the episode and see if she's right. I'm curious to see what that "patient" had. She said she wishes House were real she'd make him look at my chart, I know it's over 2" thick from this year alone lol
            Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Working...
            X