Can't sit still at night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't sit still at night...

For the past few nights while I'm watching TV, I suddenly get very restless, especially my legs. It's not pain, just a feeling like if I don't move, I'm going to go nuts. I'll be trying to watch a program and end up changing position 10 times. Last night, I finally got fed up and just went to bed.

Then when I get in bed, I feel like ants are biting me and I'm itchy all over, like I'm allergic to something in my room (but everything is the same in there as it's always been.)

I just finished weaning myself off of the baclofen I've taken for the past four years.I've also started decreasing my gabapentin from 1,200 mg to 900 mg. Do you think it might have something to do with it? If so, do you think it will pass? (Oh I hope I don't end up having to go back on these meds! I want off of them!)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Don't know about meds

I don't know if its related to the meds, but I have the same problem with my legs. I kind of relate it to my legs being soda bottles that were shook to much. I think if I stuck them with a pin they would explode. I have to move them alot at night, they tried giving me meds for RLS and it did help for about 2 weeks, but then no such luck. I am going to see a sleep doctor next week, I'll let you know if I find a miracle.
    Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky282 View Post
      I don't know if its related to the meds, but I have the same problem with my legs. I kind of relate it to my legs being soda bottles that were shook to much. I think if I stuck them with a pin they would explode. I have to move them alot at night, they tried giving me meds for RLS and it did help for about 2 weeks, but then no such luck. I am going to see a sleep doctor next week, I'll let you know if I find a miracle.
      I hope you get some relief! I know how miserable it is to feel like your legs are about to jump out of their skin.

Last night wasn't as bad, but I was having some pain from muscle spasms in the middle of the night. I wanted to go take a baclofen, but couldn't wake up enough to do so. I guess maybe I'll stick with taking 10 mg. before I go to bed. (Last night was the first night I went to bed without one.) At least I've cut down 70 mgs.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

As much as I don't want to be on meds too, I cannot remember (LOL) Shashi why you are weaning off of these 2 meds?? Either you are still withdrawing from them and their effects, and/or..your body still needs them.

So..how long are you planning to put up with this? Dont forget that when we are deficient in MINERALS and other suppements, our bodiess yell and react like this too.
        Are you getting enough of Magnesium and Potassium?
        When my muscles are weak and shakey (sign of my Gitelman's/autonomic issues too) I make sure I take more potassium/magnesium first..before resorting to a med that may be the culprit in the first place.

Let us know how its going..

Hugs my dear! ~ Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          As much as I don't want to be on meds too, I cannot remember (LOL) Shashi why you are weaning off of these 2 meds?? Either you are still withdrawing from them and their effects, and/or..your body still needs them.

So..how long are you planning to put up with this? Dont forget that when we are deficient in MINERALS and other suppements, our bodiess yell and react like this too.
          Are you getting enough of Magnesium and Potassium?
          When my muscles are weak and shakey (sign of my Gitelman's/autonomic issues too) I make sure I take more potassium/magnesium first..before resorting to a med that may be the culprit in the first place.

Let us know how its going..

Hugs my dear! ~ Jan
          Hi Jan,

I'm trying to wean off of the baclofen because I happened to look at the side effects and many of them are the neurological symptoms that I've had ever since I started taking the medication over four years ago. I decided that while I'm feeling pretty well, I'd see if I could wean myself off of it and see if it helped any. (Same with the gabapentin too.)

I do take extra supplements daily, including magnesium and potassium. I think it's just the spasticity that was bothering my legs, but it wasn't too bad. (Not nearly as it has been in the past, thank goodness!)

Thanks and hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Been there, done that

My doctor has a name for this, however I just call it the "creepy crawlies". I pop an 800 mg. gabapentin and I pace the floors until it kicks in. I found that I flare up with this if I've pushed myself too hard or I'm overtired. Good luck.

Comment

Shashi- sounds like the same thing my mom described to me for her RLS, she was also ok for a week or so when she first got her meds, then they had to pump her up for it and is now taking 5 per day for over a year and it really helps her.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                I'm trying to wean off of the baclofen because I happened to look at the side effects and many of them are the neurological symptoms that I've had ever since I started taking the medication over four years ago.
                Hi Shashi:
                How are the neurological symptoms you've had since starting the baclofen four years ago different from the neurological symptoms you were having four years ago that prompted you to see a neurologist, get an MRI and start the baclofen to begin with?

Comment

Jumpy Legs

I too have jumpy legs. Even when I was on gabapentin.
                  My legs feel like they have a tickle inside them. It happens when I'm relaxed & about to go to sleep, then it startles me & wakes me up. It drives me nuts.
                  Andy
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post

Then when I get in bed, I feel like ants are biting me and I'm itchy all over, like I'm allergic to something in my room (but everything is the same in there as it's always been.)

I just finished weaning myself off of the baclofen I've taken for the past four years.I've also started decreasing my gabapentin from 1,200 mg to 900 mg. Do you think it might have something to do with it? If so, do you think it will pass?
                    I get that same "bugs crawling on me" feeling.
                    Makes me crazy.

Yes I think it has to due to weaning off the baclofen.
                    I don't like to take it either. It seem to turn me to mush?

Will it pass? Who knows? Yoga? PT? Diet? Different drug?
                    It gets maddening trying to find the "secret hand shake" that works best.

Best of luck. Hope you don't scratch your skin off before you get it figured out.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The restless leg and itchies have stopped for now. I'm totally off of the baclofen and down to half of the Neurontin.

My main reason for getting off of these meds is that I've just taken them for so long and I felt like my body needed a break. (Plus, with my new insurance, I can't afford seven different prescription meds a month!)

Redwings, when I first started taking the baclofen, I wasn't having the miosis which you and I talked about before or the muscle weakness that I had later. I also had a incidence of what I think were simple partial seizures two months ago, and I know that can be a problem with baclofen. I really just wanted to see what would happen if I stopped taking it. I've tried to get off of it before in the past and the spasms got too bad, but this time isn't too bad. If I think I need them again, I still have a full bottle, so I can take them as I need them.

Comment

Working...
                      X