baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen

If the baclofen pills do not work do you think a pump would?

I take baclofin & neurontin, I find the combo helps. Talk to your neuro.
    God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

In October '09, my Baclofen pump was implanted. Afterward I spent two weeks in the rehab hospital and then had PT and OT at home. I am glad that I have the pump, but it does take time to become accustomed to the presence of the pump. It also takes some months to arrive at the optimal dosage. I know that having it was the right decision.
      Be happy!

Comment

if you go with the pump make sure you have someone monitoring it close by. Its my understanding that it can be a great relief, with the meds being released directly in to your blood streem, but i was also told that if it malfundtions/ runs out of meds you will very quickly be right back where you started before the pump, if not worse.
        I do not need baclofen (yet!) but I have been looking in to the pump for a young woman I support with severe CP & spastic quadriplegia, who is on oral baclofen and Zanaflex for spacisiticy.

Comment

I know some DR.s want you to make sure that no muscle relaxer works well enough even at an optimum dose before you try a pump. Then they normally do a test where they inject a (50mg?) dose into your spine and do range of motion exercises with you (both before and after) to see if you improve enough.
          Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Before having the pump implanted, I had a four day trial in the hospital. For the trial the wiring was attached externally and the dosage started at a low level. During the trial the dosage was raised gradually and I was monitored for adverse effects as well lessening of spasticity. The doctors and I had to agree to the procedure before the implantation. About eight days after the surgery, the sutures were removed by the neurosurgeon and I went directly to the rehab hospital.

I worked on walking without depending on spasticity and many other daily activities. During that time the pump and dosage were monitored. Even now, seven months post surgery, we are still making adjustments. Sometimes it can take up to twelve months to reach the sweet spot, but the relief from the spasticity is a blessing as adjustments are made.

If anybody has further questions I will be happy to help.
            Be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by babsey2 View Post
              Before having the pump implanted, I had a four day trial in the hospital. For the trial the wiring was attached externally and the dosage started at a low level. During the trial the dosage was raised gradually and I was monitored for adverse effects as well lessening of spasticity. The doctors and I had to agree to the procedure before the implantation. About eight days after the surgery, the sutures were removed by the neurosurgeon and I went directly to the rehab hospital.

I worked on walking without depending on spasticity and many other daily activities. During that time the pump and dosage were monitored. Even now, seven months post surgery, we are still making adjustments. Sometimes it can take up to twelve months to reach the sweet spot, but the relief from the spasticity is a blessing as adjustments are made.

If anybody has further questions I will be happy to help.
              Wow, I'm glad that you received such thorough care...mine took 5 hours maybe (injection, range of motion tests each hour while some guy video taped the PT doing them) and I was sent home. When I was asked if I planned to do the surgery I "chickened out." I guess not all medical facilities or testing programs are the same! Good luck to you...I hope finding the sweet spot is soon!
              Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Working...
              X