This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you consider having M.S. a tragedy?

Just curious about how people define their M.S. to themselves (when no one else is looking). Just between us MSers, what do you really think??
    Tawanda

To answer your question, no, I do not. Do I like it? No. Has it changed things, sometimes in a negative way? Hell, yes!!! But a tragedy? Not even close.....
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

A tragedy---no way! I think it's my HELL ON EARTH!!! though!!

No matter how bad a day I may be having-- I know it can always be worse!

Does that make me feel better? Sometimes yes-- it's up to me on how I want to deal with the d--- thing. Many days I feel I'm really strong and then there are the days that I want to just hole up and not do anything or talk to anyone either.

Life goes on and we must to.... right now I'm BLASTING some Bruce Springsteen music--does that tell you anything??:!! Yee_hah!!!!!

Comment

Tragedy? No. Pain in the kiester? Oh, yeah! Has it changed the way I live my life? Absolutely. However, it is what it is, and nothing is going to change that. Like everyone else, I have my good days where I feel like I can take on the world (well, maybe for 15 minutes or so!), and then I have those days where it takes everything I have to drag it out of bed in the morning to take care of the dogs.

But, as has already been said here, I know that things could be SO much worse, so I consider myself very lucky in that regard and keep trying to remind myself of that on my bad days.

Comment

A tragedy ? No , but I do sometimes think it sucks ! I have days when I feel like I am doing just fine and days when I do some crying ( in private ). Today is a good day , though , as I am blasting some Bon Jovi !

Comment

No not a tragedy. I'm not giving it any credit either. At 53, its my only health challenge, so things could be worse. But things could be better.
            Steve
            sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Other than when I'm here, I actually don't think much about it at all. I don't see it as a tragedy, or anything other than what it is... a crummy disease.

It's just another fact about me. I have dark hair with lots of gray. I have dark brown eyes. I have MS. It's not worth my precious time and energy to think about it any more than it would be to contemplate the grays.

I don't want pity from others. Why pity myself, sitting around dwelling on what it's done? Again, not worth my time.

Comment

No I don't, it is an inconvinance & a pain. A very Real Pain!.
                But other than the things I've lost,like the ability to drive, walk w/out a walker or wheelchair, my brainLOL.
                I have been so Blessed by the way my family has stepped up to help me, & the wonderful Neuro I've had for the last 10yrs.( who has become a personal family friend).
                Last but not least my relationship w/ my Lord & Saviour.
                Who gets me thru each day.
                God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

For me it has mostly been a blessing. I credit MS with my quitting smoking and drinking. I credit it with my conversion to Catholicism. I credit it with inspiring me to do lots of volunteer work.

I haven't walked for over 8 years, but I don't define happiness by walking ability. Al things considered, I think I'd be worse off and less happy had I not been diagnosed 16 years ago.
                  Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift!

Comment

No, I don't think of MS as a tragedy. Not even close.

In my own circle of family and close friends, there have been murders, rapes, early deaths from lymphoma, ALS, breast cancer, suicide, plane crashes...those I consider tragedies.

And that's not to mention the tragedies I read about and see on the news in the wider world.

MS (and mine is pretty far advanced now) is a walk in the park, relatively speaking...well, a roll in the park, but still!

Comment

Nah, I don't see it as a tragedy. There are so many other diseases that hit people so hard.

I have my bad days and sometimes I have a short pity party, but most days reminding myself that it could be so much worse pulls me out of the morass.

I do things as I can. I will not just lay down and become worse by inaction. I choose to continue living, even if it's painful sometimes!
                      COPAXONE - Feb. '03
                      Dx - Feb. '03
                      1st Sx - March '88

Comment

using the definition of tragedy "an event resulting in great loss and misfortune"

then, sort of. MS is different for all of us. I read a lot of people saying it didn't change that much for them. it changed everything for me. a lot of my personal identity was wrapped up in my career, my hobbies and my independence.

I had optic neuritis and the diagnosis was unknown and then had a huge flare three months later. I had to quit my job, i was unable to continue with my hobbies and found myself unable to care for my own needs. Was this a tragedy? heck yeah it was. I'm not going to lie about it. I was devastated and it was tragic. that first year while i learned to swallow the diagnosis and the complete upheaval of my life was rough.

I'm learning to adapt (an MS persons greatest tool, in my opinion). I'm learning to find peace in my new limitations and learning to find new things that i can do and learning to find joy in it.

If you want to have joy in your life after a diagnosis like MS, you have to learn to be positive and adapt to your new circumstances. Feeling sorrow for the loss is normal, focusing only on the loss will destroy you emotionally.

so, is it a tragedy? the initial diagnosis felt like it but is my life now tragic? no way. I'm well on my way to being one of those crazy overly optimistic patients and i'm totally ok with that.

Comment

I consider my MS as a blessing from God. He chooses the cross we must bear and this cross isn't heavy, but it does suck at times.

Comment

Yes. For me, my diagnosis was tragic. Maybe it's because it came at an already bad time in my life. Or maybe it's because I see that it's not only changed my life, but also my children's lives too. Maybe it's because this is all new for me. I still cry about it. I still wake up every day hoping that it was all a nightmare and not real.
                            Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

A tragedy? No.

It definitely sucks though
                              Diagnosed 1984
                              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                              X