How will I know? (relapse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will I know? (relapse)

This may sound like a stupid question but, how will I know if I have a relapse? Will it be new symptoms? or will it be the same symptoms that lead to my diagnosis? I have lasting symptoms that I deal with everyday and some days are worse than others. Does a relapse always go hand in hand with a new lesion? I was just diagnosed in June so I am still trying to get it all figured out.
    Shannon
    Diagnosed June 2010. Started Betaseron July 2010.

A relapse can be any new or worsening symptom that lasts longer than 24-48 hours and is separated by at least 30 days from your last relapse. Could be the old symptoms becoming worse, new ones or even a combo. Remember that fluctuations in symptoms are normal and do happen. The key is to be aware of new ones or a sustained worsening of an old one.

A relapse going hand in hand with a new lesion? No. It goes hand in hand with new disease activity. That means that it could be a brand new lesion or what's left of the myelin in an old one experiencing new damage.

So an existing lesion can "reactivate" and become larger or the damage more complete. On a MRI w/o contrast, old lesions may look the same as your last, but with contrast and the right timing, you'll see the new activity.

If you have any doubt whatsoever that what you might be experiencing is a relapse, call your neuro and let them tell you if it is or not.

I usually give something 2-3 days to see if it improves before calling the dr, but until you learn what's normal for your special brand of MS, it's best to consult your doctor ASAP.

Comment

Thank you MrsBones. I think your reply was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X