Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foot/ankle weakness?

Hey MSWorlders,

I am continuing to navigate thru limboland and various symptoms, but I have a question about one thing I am experiencing.

I have this thing, it seems only to be my right leg, where when I take a step my ankle doesn't seem to respond, doesn't stay solid and straight, and my foot ends up falling to the side. I almost fall, but haven't yet. It seems to happen if I had been walking, stop for a bit, then go to continue, and my ankle has 'forgotten' what it is supposed to do. definitely some disconnect is happening.

I have read about the MS foot drop thing, and it doesn't seem to be that, exactly. maybe it's leading up to that? I don't know. I am worried about falling, worried about spraining my ankle or breaking something. and sometimes I am holding my daughter, so I worry about that happening when I am holding her.

just wondering if this happens to anyone else too. misery loves company! and I could sure use your wisdom if you have experienced this.

thank you,
    socaligirl

Have had problems with my right ankle since my diagnosis. Goes from stiff to weak and sprains easily. Haven't found a solution, but do have suggestions. First of all, don't wear shoes that don't have a lot of side support (sneakers are especially good). Also, for me, a lot of stretching has helped. I know there are strengthening exercises you can do.

Comment

I have had foot-ankle problems that got much worse a few years ago. I wear AFOs and they have been a huge help. I am due to get new ones, waiting for them to come in.

I have long had A-F problems for decades, but they came and went and as long as I limited my being on my feet, not too big of deal, tilla few years ago anyway.

I went thru about a half dozzen docs for the A-F issues, with limited results. After a new eye doc in 09 opened the MS can of worms, BINGO. Now everyone agrees its MS. Suprise? NO!

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

My right foot has foot drop but I have also had my right foot do exactly that, my foot just goes on the side. Usually I can catch myself before I actually fall if it's just the ankle rolling and not my leg giving out.

I have always thought it had something to do with the weakness in my right leg, ankle and the foot drop. Be careful!!! mine did that once on the stairs. Not a good scene!

Comment

Thanks everyone,

guess I will just be super careful, wear appropriate shoes (I am generally a flip flop girl!), and till I tell my doc about this and figure out what is going on limit my walking.

I really noticed it yesterday at Disneyland, when I had my daughter and her little friend on my own. between my ankle rolling randomly throughout the day, and my increasing fatigue levels, I am so sore today!! I feel more aches and pains then I ever did before these latest 'flares'. I feel it in my hips especially, and my knees, I am just so achey!

the last almost 2 months has been rough for me, so many new symptoms. I am coming to terms with all of this, seeking medical attention, waiting on tests, diagnosis, etc. I am having to place limitations on myself I have never had before (or rather my body is placing those limitations on me against my will!!).

My daughter is VERY active, which in turn makes me very active. and suddenly I can't. it's hard. hard to explain to her, to my husband, who I haven't told about any of this yet. Luckily my daughter is too young to really think about how I say I am not feeling well many days of the week and ask more questions about it, and my husband is too busy with work to notice any of it. that's why I am so glad to have found this board!!

thanks again,
          ~socaligirl

Comment

Hang in there!
            Believe it or not, there are cute shoes out there that still fit "appropriate"... and it may get easier. My symptoms have remitted a little and with them, I have fewer ankle problems. I'm sure you'll get there!

Comment

Foot/Ankle Problems

Wow...I too have had the ankle rolling thing. It just happens whenever. I have been having much more problems with my left leg not wanting to bend at the knee. I spend so much time talking to myself..."pick up your leg" "Bend at the knee"...it is so frustrating and exhausting!

Comment

Working...
              X