Depersonalization, Antidepressants and Anti-anxiety meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depersonalization, Antidepressants and Anti-anxiety meds

A bit cynical--but seriously need ideas, your stories, etc.

I finished tapering off Wellbutrin (5 mgs was the last level) because it was making me terrified, negative manic/frantic, out of control. Like many SSRIs I've been on the last 15 years. The result has been significant reduction of my OCD.
    Which faces me with a whole other side of me that's been in moth balls thanks to OCD and above-mentioned meds.

I've been taking Xanax 1/16th of a mg once or twice a day to deal with the anxiety this transition brings on. X makes me feel even more depersonalized than I already
    am--I feel unprotected and high and fearful of my actions as I cannot think straight.

Today was cranial MRI, and Xanax got me thru that. Then I went home and my center of control just flew out the window. Very unsafe feeling, more than just drowsy.

So I took regular, dye-free Benadryl to calm down, 1/2 capsule. Then I felt drunk and again, unsafe.

I am now depersonalized as heck: lack of grounding, lack of self. A non-self can't make decisions or think about itself very clearly.

I see the psychiatrist December 1st, and my home visiting nurse talks to me on the phone through this--she says the med doses themselves are not harmful, but to ride it out day by day till the appt. I'm not about to ask the shrink for meds that over the past 15 years have made me even more depersonalized than I've been all my life.

Scary not being in charge. No wonder DSM says depersonalization is not treatable with meds. And all this time they gave me SSRIs for depression. HELP

Truckin,

I feel for you, I really do. However, this website (MSWorld) deals with MS and few if any would be able to help you with PTSD, Depersonalization and the medications.

There is a very good mental health website which may be of some help for you...Psych Central:
    http://forums.psychcentral.com/
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Lol. PsychCentral.com

Hey Snoopy, No DMDs for you ya say? What do take? Just curious as Im about to start a DMD myself, or LDN, or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by JHubbs View Post
        Lol. PsychCentral.com

Hey Snoopy, No DMDs for you ya say? What do take? Just curious as Im about to start a DMD myself, or LDN, or nothing.
        John Grohol who started PsychCentral, a mental health support forum, has a doctorate in psychology. He is also the one who started up NeuroTalk, a support website to help those with MS as well as other Neurological problems.

JHubbs, I would be more than happy to discuss your questions of me but not on this thread. I do not want to take Truckin's thread off topic. Feel free to start a new thread of your own where I and others can answer your questions
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Psychotic medications

Although many of us with MS do not suffer the serious nature of your illness, still many of us do need help with dealing with the effects of MS. Snoopy is right that we do, primarily deal with MS issues, there are some of us who might be able to relate to some of your issues (For lack of better words!)

I have had to deal with depression brought on by MS. I know that it has taken some time for me and my doctor to get what works for me. I know that this may not be the answer you are looking for, but I hope that you will understand that it does take time to get the RIGHT medication for each and every one of us!

I see your username is "truckin"!? I was a trucker for close to 30 yrs before being DX with RRMS. I now have had to hang up the keys and spend much of my time helping those who have been recently DX with MS. It was VERY tough for me to accept that I wasn't getting better and that I would have to put an end to my career. If your in this position, you might want to think of a different career...perhaps??

Trucking is one that is a very thankless and under appreciated occupation. It asks soooo much of you and offers so little in return!! Your sacrifices with your loved ones, your health, and finally your time are tremendous!

Maybe it is time, in addition to the proper diagnosis and meds, that you might consider a different lifestyle!?

Thinking of you!!

Comment

Working...
          X