4AP to Ampyra, back to 4AP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4AP to Ampyra, back to 4AP

I've taken 4AP 15mg 3X per day for about 8 years. I decided to give Ampyra a try, even though the dosage is 10mg 2X per day. I found the Ampyra to be ineffective and switched back to the 4AP after about 3 days. Any similar experiences out there? Thought I'd share mine.
    Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift!

No experience like that but thanks for sharing. I've been considering making the switch but haven't yet for cost reasons.

Maybe I'm better off sticking with what I know
    Steve

Comment

This is important subject that MSers need to know, thank you Frederick1 for starting this thread.

I have no experience with 4AP and Ampyra is work great for me.
      But I have read post by people that have used both saying one worked and the other did not.
      I have not clue as to why, but some how one can work even when the other does not.

So if Ampyra does not work try 4AP, and if 4AP does not work try Ampyra.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hello Fredrick1
        I have been on the Ampyra since 3/10 and find it helpful. I have not been on the other med 4ap, may I ask what that is?

Comment

4-AP (4-amino pyridine) is the active ingredient in Ampyra, Ampyra is sustained release so "safer". I'm not sure why one variety would work better, I've only used 4-AP and am satisfied. If one didn't work I'd try the other.
          Steve
          sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

I took 4-AP several years ago. It did nothing for me and made me feel cruddy besides. Now I've been on Ampyra since July and it's helping-especially with arm and hand strength. I have had a lot of insomnia with it, but after trying a bunch of different things, Tylenol-PM seems to help the most with insomnia.

A WARNING! A FRIEND OF MINE TOOK 4-AP FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS WITH GOOD RESULTS. HE HAD BEEN ON 50 MG. PER DAY FOR A LONG TIME, BUT THEN HAD A MASSIVE SEIZURE THAT DRS. SAY WAS DUE TO THE BIG DOSE OF 4-AP. NOW HE'S DEALING WITH THE AFTEREFFECTS OF THE SEIZURE, PLUS HE'S MUCH WORSE WITHOUT THE AMINOPYRIDINE. AND DRS. WON'T LET HIM HAVE ANY 4-AP OR AMPYRA BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE HAD A SEIZURE THEY CANNOT PRESCRIBE THESE DRUGS FOR YOU. Hope THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE.

Comment

Wow 50 mg is too much! I've always seen 40mg as a daily max and most folks like me take 30mg spread over three doses. Often just take 20mg.
              Steve
              sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Working...
              X