Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vein thrombosis after the procedure

Hi all,

Has anyone with stents placed in their jugulars had vein thrombosis? From what I've heard this has been a major concern with stents but I haven't seen many cases reported in forums. Most radiologists seem to prefer repeated angio instead of going for the stents option because they fear the forming of blood clots in the long term.
    I have done the procedure in July but will go back soon for a recheck as I've experienced a small relapse in September. The doctor suspects there has been a restenosis and intends to place another stent (I have one in the LIJ and was treated with angio on the RIJ). It is very important for me to know about people with a similar experience.

Best,

Spiff

Probably the wrong forum to ask this question, try facebook or TIMS which both have quite a few accounts of various stent clotting problems.

Comment

Originally posted by there View Post
      Probably the wrong forum to ask this question, try facebook or TIMS which both have quite a few accounts of various stent clotting problems.
      Thanks for that. I've already asked in thisisms which is, indeed, the right forum to discuss CCSVI. Still, I won't discard msworld or any other MS forum with such a high number of participants. There's too much talk about the risks of stenting but little evidence of known cases. Any report of a negative experience re stents would be useful for me to make my decision on whether to put another one.

spiff

Comment

SPIFF- MY STENTS!

Spiff,
        glad to be able to share my great CCSVI diagnosis and liberation success.
        I have stents in Jugular and Azygos. No problems. I believe they are under-used at this time because so many of the IRBs do not allow stent placment.
        I have had no vein thrombosis and the several people I know who have stents placed have never had that concern or problem.
        and YES, this is a good forum to ask this question. absolutley.
        Just because this is now the official MS Society Chat Site does not mean that we should take CCSVI conversation ELSEWHERE? why? lets open it up here.
        I just had my one year MRI at Stanford since my procedure Oct 2009. All is PERFECT. I am symptom free.
        Spiff, I do not understand vein thrombosis to be a common concern after stent placement.
        I hope there are more questions and answers at this MSWorld.org. There IS HOPE FOR MS. Ok, so I don't take the $4,000.00 / month in drugs anymore. I only take 1 baby aspirin per day and I can do anything I want. yep. true.
        I do believe that in the future venous scanning for abnormalities and flow problems will be just as common as the testing done on the arterial system.
        call me JOE~
        JOE

Comment

Many are hesitant to discuss risks or adverse effects from CCSVI because there are so many hopeful individuals to quickly shoot down any posts that do not promote this unproven, surgical procedure.

Thrombosis is a very serious condition and just one more reason to consider before trying this experimental surgery in an attempt to help the symptoms of MS.

There is no direct correlation between MS and this procedure. I won't consider it unless they can directly show research to this helping with MS progression or symptoms. And the original physicians claims do not equal research evidence.
          Take care, Wiz
          RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

My CCSVI Stents

It is essential to put all of your ducks in a row before CCSVI. Discuss with the interventional radiologist what you will and will not do.Tell you primary care doctor you are having the procedure. I went the extra step and asked my cardiologist for permission.

I had my CCSVI at Albany Medical Center 6 weeks ago. My left jugular was "functionally absent." On the doppler from BNAC it looked like a banana shaped pool with no outlet. My right jugular opened up nicely with the angioplasty. My left collapsed. The interventional radiologists placed 3 stents. I was immediately placed on Lovenox. I returned the next day and a thrombus had formed. I take coumadin and am followed by our anticoagulation clinic nurses.

I am one of the lucky ones because my results have been better than I hoped. But I could not tolerate the pain of the procedure. I go back in April for angioplasty of the azygous vein. I knew at the onset to expect multiple procedures.

Comment

Working...
            X