Anger and Other Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anger and Other Emotions

I've been kind of embarrassed to talk about this, but I am having mood swings that I can't control. I will start getting really, really sensitive and cry over the little things, or I will get intensely angry, and can't control it.

It just comes out of me, the anger. I want it to stop but it just keeps coming. I fly off the handle at my husband, screaming like a lunatic. I am unaware of my facial expressions, nor do I actually see him.

It's like I'm actually yelling at "it", instead of him, and I can't stop it.

Has anyone else experienced this unbearable shift in moods? It's horrible and I don't want to be like that again!!

I'm afraid it's part of having MS, Jami Lea (assuming that's what you do have). "Emotional incontinence" is what it's called.

Crying over nothing, flying off the handle with rage...many of us experience those things. We can learn to handle it to some extent, to explain it to the people in our lives, and to apologize when we've caused damage (even though it's not really our fault).

Inappropriate laughter is another emotional glitch we may be prone to. There's a name for that too, but it escapes me at the moment.

Comment

I'm so ashamed. The fits of rage only happen, at most, once per month, but usually once every other month.

I feel so ashamed, and embarrassed. It's like I'm not even me. I just scream at the top of my lungs, like a demon possessed person. I get really heated up and start shaking. I feel a sense of relief when I am done, and I just sit and cry for what I have just acted like. Then, I apologize.

*cry* I don't want to be like that anymore.

Is there any way to control it? I don't even know what triggered it. We were having a conflict, but I know how to fight fair. I just can't control it sometimes. What can I do?

Comment

My answer for you

ZOLOFT

I take just 25 mg each day, definitely took my edge off. Just ask my family.

Kathy
        Kathy

Comment

I take Welbutrin right now. It seems to be a hormonal thing, but I'm not sure. I just can't believe I get like that, someone who is so normally sweet and sensitive.

Comment

From my experience, the sweeter the person makes themselves out to be, the more PSYCHOTIC they actually are.
            Rae Roy

Comment

very observant Raegan

Originally posted by Raegan.Royale View Post
              From my experience, the sweeter the person makes themselves out to be, the more PSYCHOTIC they actually are.
              Yes I have often noticed that or at least that SOME of people who seem sweet actually are. But you are right. That is because some of the worst people are very good actors and learn how to imitate the role they want. Yet there is always a little glitch in there somewhere. I really think every one on this planet is here to learn how to do better at everything. And to learn how to confront every possible circumstance. I certainly fit the bill of emotionally volcano landscape type. I try to stay alone a lot cause then the only person I can bother is myself and that's more fair than bothering others. Yet I guess what I should do is get some sort of training on how to win friends and influence people. On the other hand it does seem that I enjoy all the solitary pursuits....so............watch out where your explode Ms.Volcano!! Unfortunately their are repercussions for bad behavior no matter what the excuse I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Zencali View Post
                Yes I have often noticed that or at least that SOME of people who seem sweet actually are. But you are right. That is because some of the worst people are very good actors and learn how to imitate the role they want. Yet there is always a little glitch in there somewhere.
                I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has noticed this!

My emotional glitches are:
                -I laugh when other people get hurt (I can't help it!)
                -I feel no sympathy for humans, no matter what the situation is (Animals are a different story!)
                And
                -I keep my emotions bottled up so nobody knows about them (The less of my emotions people know about, the less drama there is-- I have proven this to myself and others as well!)

I'm not afraid to admit these glitches because I know that I'm not the only one who has them. I'm on Geodon for mood swings and Buspar for anxiety but neither help with my glitches. The Buspar actually helps me keep things bottled up. (Like I need the help!)
                Rae Roy

Comment

Yes! And while it can be MS, it can also just simply be hormonal. I started tracking the days when I was beyond irrational and would fly off the handle for STUPID stuff. It all happened during week 3 of my cycle.

My dr. prescribed Sarafem for me to take just week 3....We'll see if it works, but i hope so. I hate acting that way!
                  Melody
                  Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Mood swings

I don't get excessively angry, but I do get short-tempered a lot more than I used to. There's no consistency to the times I lose patience, although fatigue can certainly make it worse.

I usually have a crying session once every couple of months. It's usually a small thing that puts me over the edge, not a big important thing. I guess a lot of little things can add up to a big one when you put them all together...

It's a lot easier now that I'm not working - I don't have to keep a smile on my face around other people when I don't feel like it

Comment

Anger is one of the symptoms I was having in order to know I needed to find answers. I would lash out for no apparent reason and usually to my husband. Or throw things. NOthing was making sense. Now, I know that if I get overly stressed, tired, etc. I cannot handle my emotional outbreaks. I did get an order for Xanex to take once a day for my anxiety and the feeling like I wanted to hurt someone. This only happens on occasion but I am not very pleasant when it comes a calling and without warning. You are not alone. It is part of this disease. The part I do not like.
                      This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

For it all makes us who we are or who do not want to be

Me I am new at this but I know now I have times I try to tell someone a simple thing and then I start crying like it is a sad story...It comes in cycles for me.. Then the anger thing come also.. He makes me say things really fast that I wish I had not said.. Is it the MS, I do not know but we all seem to have these things Or is it just human emotions. I have learned that MS is different in all people and the same. Does that make sense? In this world Of MS, we are just so full of questions..We look for the answers just to get more questions. LOL..So that is my opinion..
                        Talk to your Neuro..Find one that is a MS spec.
                        Blessings,

Comment

Raegan,

I don't think those are glitches. I mean, sometimes it's just downright funny though when people get hurt, but then again, I laugh at myself when I get hurt too because it's so silly how I got hurt in the first place. My husband runs to my rescue. I either laugh at him or I don't say anything for a couple of minutes. Mainly, because I know that when at the peak of pain, I myself don't want anyone talking to me until it goes away.

Well, maybe that's not what you are talking about lol, however, I do admire your honesty.

I am a sweet person. It has only been in the last year or so that I've became a really angry person, and some of the things I've said out of anger are just downright hateful.

Roo, I didn't think about asking for something like that. That's a good idea. Most of my anger is around "that time", and the rest of the month, I'm happy go lucky as a person. This year, I have only had 4 periods total, and each time, I'm a raging lunatic. This time surprised me though as it was just after I was finished. Usually, it happens before. Right when I thought I had this month conquered, it snuck up on me and exploded! My poor husband...

Comment

Working...
                          X