Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any middle school/Jr. High teachers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any middle school/Jr. High teachers out there?

Anyone teach MS/Jr. High? This is an intense age group, but I love 'em-but they wear me out
    K.S.W.W.
    Fargo

17 years teaching, 7 months MS

I'm still trying to get a hold on this. I have never experienced anything like this and it hurts to think. I seems like I'm getting better or just learning to deal with it. I have a split contract this year so I am at two schools, just alternate days. I have a Social Studies and Special Ed. credential, RSP and SDC students on my caseload. Thank God I'm not teaching any classes, I'm just supporting teachers and keeping care of my caseload. Class is about to begin and I need to get to class.
    See Ya Later
    Mac

Comment

I've saved the best for last... started with fifteen years of special ed, elementary, then four years 2nd grade classroom, and then came to the middle school, where I have had the freedom, given old certification, to teach 6,7 and 8, at times two subjects at a time (social studies and math, and then science and English) but have settled in now for my last three, teaching 8th grade US History.

My students and parents don't know of my diagnosis, but my partners and principal do. This year (my fourth with ms and my 29th in teaching) I have accepted help willingly offered by my partners, covering lunch duty, bus duties ... and I cover their classes when I can, as well.

The kids are great - it's the best kept secret in education, I think. I've taught every grade from kindergarten through adult (fellow teachers) and enjoy these the best, despite the fact that my time with them coincides with ms ... every day with them is a new beginning ... yesterday's peer squabbles are put behind quickly, and new issues arise in their place.

They are fascinating, intelligent, and as confused at times as I am - we are made for each other.

Ssh ,,, don't tell everyone else ,..
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Next year I will be teaching this age group for one of the semesters. I will be teaching them art. The other semester I will be teaching high school art. I have been teaching elementary art and high school art for the last 12 years and just high school art 13 years before that.

I have always said that I did not want to teach junior highers. I felt that their emotions and maturity levels change to much to enjoy that age group. Well, I guess I will have to see if my stereotyping is true. I'm guessing it isn't. I just hope that I find this age group as wonderful as other junior high teachers.
        MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

I have been teaching middle school since 2003 and I love it. I know, I know- how could someone love working with hormonal and sometimes crazy teenagers? Well, I guess it just took some time to adjust to the frenetic and sometimes LOUD atmosphere ... and I found my niche.

I never thought I would like teaching middle school, but I've found that working with pre-teens/teens is so rewarding. My students are at an age where they feel emotions so keenly, and when they like/dislike something- they'll show it. Sometimes they can be infuriating, but middle school kids (IMO), for the most part, are an amazing bunch.

Comment

Working...
          X