Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using scooter at work ...........

Hi
    I have walking difficulty and recently company that I work for, moved to new place.

Now it requires me a long walk to get to my office.
    Either need to quit or use scooter to roam around.

I'm so worry at reaction of colleagues and managers by seeing me on scooter. How accepted I'll be to others or they might get rid of me just because of mobility problem.
    Would you please share your experience in this regard?

My job is programming.

Thanks in advance

Let me ask...does anyone at work know of your diagnosis? There a couple reasons I ask.

The first reason is if you're still able to perform your job, not only can they not fire you for any reason related to your disability (unless, again, you can no longer perform) they would have to make any reasonable accommodations you need in order to continue. What those accommodations would be would be between you, your employer and what they are required to do under the ADA. However, in order for you to ask for those accommodations, you must reveal that you need them. You need not be very specific as to what you reveal as far as you diagnosis goes, but you must tell them that you do have a disability of some sort. Your employer may ask for something from your doctor outlining your abilities/disabilities and that's within their rights. It protects both you and your employer.

Secondly, if your co-workers and employers don't know about your MS, it could be a huge jolt for them when you to show up in your scooter one day. You could expect all kinds of reactions. If they don't know, they're getting a double whammy : MS and you now need a scooter. You have to be ready for the wide range of reactions from "poor Brave must be doing so badly" to "Brave must be faking for some reason, didn't need the scooter last week!"

I have always been very open with my MS. My employers were some of the first to know. They were great through the whole thing, but you never know how they might react. I realize I was very lucky to have employers who followed not only the letter of the ADA, but the spirit as well. Anything I needed to continue performing my job was easily obtained. There were a few co-workers who had a little something to say, but they were people who I always had issues with and it was more a personal issue than a disability issue. We just didn't like each other. I found that the people who were always nice and easy to work with/for were the same way after each new mobility device. The ones that had issues were the same ones who had issues before the cane, walker and wheelchair.

My advice is to first consider every possibility. Will your scooter fit in your office? Will you need to park somewhere and use a cane or other device to get to your desk? Think these things through thoroughly and write a list of any thing that might be a hurdle to overcome. Really think...it never occurred to me that I might need a cup holder for my wheelchair until the first day I went to the breakroom and couldn't get the coffee back to my desk.

Once you have your list and before you go to work with your scooter ask to meet with your immediate supervisor along with your HR person if you have one. Let them know that you will need to begin using the scooter at work. If your list has anything on it that they will need to do, politely ask that these accommodations be made. Most public buildings should be able to accommodate your scooter, so they shouldn't have to worry about much more than where to put the scooter or your chair when you're not using them. Be specific in what you might need but realize you may have to negotiate a bit. Reasonable accommodations means what ever won't put any undue financial or other burden on them so they have a little wiggle room to argue. What constitutes a burden for one employer may be easy for another.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
      Let me ask...does anyone at work know of your diagnosis? There a couple reasons I ask.

The first reason is if you're still able to perform your job, not only can they not fire you for any reason related to your disability (unless, again, you can no longer perform) they would have to make any reasonable accommodations you need in order to continue. What those accommodations would be would be between you, your employer and what they are required to do under the ADA. However, in order for you to ask for those accommodations, you must reveal that you need them. You need not be very specific as to what you reveal as far as you diagnosis goes, but you must tell them that you do have a disability of some sort. Your employer may ask for something from your doctor outlining your abilities/disabilities and that's within their rights. It protects both you and your employer.

Secondly, if your co-workers and employers don't know about your MS, it could be a huge jolt for them when you to show up in your scooter one day. You could expect all kinds of reactions. If they don't know, they're getting a double whammy : MS and you now need a scooter. You have to be ready for the wide range of reactions from "poor Brave must be doing so badly" to "Brave must be faking for some reason, didn't need the scooter last week!"

I have always been very open with my MS. My employers were some of the first to know. They were great through the whole thing, but you never know how they might react. I realize I was very lucky to have employers who followed not only the letter of the ADA, but the spirit as well. Anything I needed to continue performing my job was easily obtained. There were a few co-workers who had a little something to say, but they were people who I always had issues with and it was more a personal issue than a disability issue. We just didn't like each other. I found that the people who were always nice and easy to work with/for were the same way after each new mobility device. The ones that had issues were the same ones who had issues before the cane, walker and wheelchair.

My advice is to first consider every possibility. Will your scooter fit in your office? Will you need to park somewhere and use a cane or other device to get to your desk? Think these things through thoroughly and write a list of any thing that might be a hurdle to overcome. Really think...it never occurred to me that I might need a cup holder for my wheelchair until the first day I went to the breakroom and couldn't get the coffee back to my desk.

Once you have your list and before you go to work with your scooter ask to meet with your immediate supervisor along with your HR person if you have one. Let them know that you will need to begin using the scooter at work. If your list has anything on it that they will need to do, politely ask that these accommodations be made. Most public buildings should be able to accommodate your scooter, so they shouldn't have to worry about much more than where to put the scooter or your chair when you're not using them. Be specific in what you might need but realize you may have to negotiate a bit. Reasonable accommodations means what ever won't put any undue financial or other burden on them so they have a little wiggle room to argue. What constitutes a burden for one employer may be easy for another.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.
      Thank you very much for detail info, I appreciate your time.
      my manager and co-workers are not aware of my diagnosis but obviously see me having difficulty in walking, they don't know why.
      my job is programming and doesn't require me frequent walking in office , my concern is getting to my office from parking and back to parking.
      I have no problem with performing my job but my fear is that seeing me on the scooter make them worry and lay me off along with next round of layoff (it's a big company and hear and there layoff employees)
      I have good LTD and don't want to loose it , if scooter might cause any concern to them then my LTD will be jeopardized (If hit by layoff)

I appreciate any advise

Comment

It's so HARD to tell what an employer might or might not do/react....more like IMPOSSABLE!

Another viewport on your situation.......

While MS and scooter could work against you, it ALSO could work in your FAVOR!

I know its a GAMBLE...plain and simple.

IF you disclose your MS condition BEFORE the next round of layoffs... You MIGHT be able to use/claim ADA discrimination by your employer. IF NO notification, or in other words you employer is NOT aware of your MS and even a minor non-job affecting issue, you can NOT expect to be able to use ADA discrimination in the event of FUTURE layoffs.

BOTTOM LINE... is having MS & work issue can be a DOUBLE EDGE SWORD.

Usually our FEAR of the UNKNOWN is far worse than REALITY.

Good Luck...

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

If you need it, you need it.

If it's a big company, they have to follow Federal Law as Gomer pointed out. Do you really want to fall or have difficulty getting from your parking to your office? Safety first and conservation of energy so you can do your job and not get canned for performance reasons.
          Dxed 3/04. Rebif 1 year, then Beta to now.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
            It's so HARD to tell what an employer might or might not do/react....more like IMPOSSABLE!

Another viewport on your situation.......

While MS and scooter could work against you, it ALSO could work in your FAVOR!

I know its a GAMBLE...plain and simple.

IF you disclose your MS condition BEFORE the next round of layoffs... You MIGHT be able to use/claim ADA discrimination by your employer. IF NO notification, or in other words you employer is NOT aware of your MS and even a minor non-job affecting issue, you can NOT expect to be able to use ADA discrimination in the event of FUTURE layoffs.

BOTTOM LINE... is having MS & work issue can be a DOUBLE EDGE SWORD.

Usually our FEAR of the UNKNOWN is far worse than REALITY.

Good Luck...

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.
            Good point,Gomer. It may very well work to your advantage, but you must disclose something otherwise you will not have that protection under the ADA. If you don't identify yourself as disabled, they can't either.

If they have noticed you having trouble walking it may be time to disclose. It's possible that others (it's been assumed about me prior to disclosure to the busy-bodies down on the first floor ) that your trouble walking may be from alcohol. Just a thought.

If the parking lot is your main concern, would you consider getting a handicapped parking placard or tag? It would at least eliminate most of your outside walking. The placard is fairly visible and would obviously be used for you if it was in your car, but tags could be for anyone in your family. They may be a more discreet option for the time being if you're not quite ready to disclose and you think you could manage the inside walking.

I understand your fears completely, but they have no real reason to fire you or lay you off. You job performance has not been affected in any way.

Once you disclose, you are protected by the ADA. The concerns you have are certainly legitimate. Who wants to risk their job and benefits in this economy? However, should you be fired or laid off, you would have legal recourse if your job performance has remained the same and they have no legitimate reason to dismiss you. They may have a hard time even if they do. When you're as "out" as possible for you, talking about MS, wearing orange, office fundraising for the NMSS,etc. , the whole company will know you're the one with MS. Doesn't look very good for them to fire the one using a scooter or wheelchair Not a tactic for everyone, but you'd be pleasantly surprised in a number of ways.

I can't say one way or another what you should ultimately do. I do think that like friends and family who worried when you told them, once they understand what MS is, they may not worry so much.

Comment

Thank you very much to all who replied to my question. I'm so glad to be in this forum and being in contact with people who might share same concerns.

I appreciate your time.It means a lot to me at this difficult time.

brave

Comment

Working...
              X