spasticity and baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spasticity and baclofen

ok I am not exactly sure if this is spasticity or not. My right arm/hand is completely numb for about 2 months. My bicep and tricep both feel very tight. my arm feels like it is swollen even though it is not. my movements are not good at all very jerky. if i try to use my fingers to type or use my arm for anything after awhile i will get a spasm and pain in my forearm and my shoulder blade. It sometimes feels like my arm locks up and does not move. does this sound like spasticity? My doctor said i could try baclofen to see if it helps. I have been taking it for a week with no results but i am only taking 5mg 2 times a day. From other posts this does not sound like much. is the dose to low or is it not spasticity? im not sure if i should ask the doctor to up the dosage or maybe it takes longer for the drug to get in my system.

I'm not sure whether Baclofen helps me either. Ive been taking it for the past 4 months. My husband says that I lift my leg up more when I walk. I guess I just don't notice that much of a difference. I just want to get going and move on! Even physical therapy doesn't help. I wish there would be a magical pill that would solve my spasticity problems. Wishful thinking! I am a healthy person other than having MS. I don't give up!

Comment

That is a very low dose of baclofen. I started out on 20 mg a day and after four years am now up to 80 mg daily. Ask your doctor if you can increase your dosage. You also need to be sure that you're taking it regularly each day and not just when you feel that you need it, as it seems to work better after it's built up in your system.

Also, if you decide to go off of baclofen, you have to taper down. Going off of it cold turkey can cause you to have hallucinations.

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

As others have said, that's a really low dose. Is it making you sleepy? I seem to be able to manage 10 mgs w/out falling asleep (and it does take the edge off...doesn't control it as much as I'd like but some relief is better than nothing), so that's the dosage I take during the day, but I take it 3 x and then up the dosage at bedtime.

Comment

So one more question does this sound like spasticity that I am having?

No it does not make me sleepy which is surprising sine it seems anything can make me sleepy.

I do take it regularly at 8am and 8pm daily.

I will give the doc a call, I think she is trying to be cautious with the dosage knowing I work and this is my first time taking it.

thanks for all your feedback, I feel so alone sometimes because no one seems to understand. I guess I do too good of a job hiding my challenges and I refuse help alot. I try to act normal as much as possible

Comment

For me spasms are nerve impulses to mucsles in a particular area that makes them tighten up (jump) momentarily. This can start out slowly, every 10 seconds or so and increase in intensity. If you take the required amount of baclofen that you need at certain times throughout the day you can avoid getting these annoying spasms. I take 10mg around noon, 10 @ 7:00 pm and 10 @ 9:00 pm. Leg spasms at night are usually my biggest problem, hence I take the most before bed.

Anyway that's what the meaning of spasms are for me.
            Diagnosed '79 @ age 22. SPMS since '03. Betaseron 4 yrs., Avonex 6 yrs., Tysabri 3 yrs., Present Copaxone & LDN since 1/2010.

Comment

spasticity is the stiffness of the limbs that occurs during ms due to restrictive movement. numbness and temporary or permanent paralysis are symptoms of ms but not concidered as spasticity.

ive been taking 80 mg daily for 5 years and i still get stiff so i dont know if the baclofen helps or not, but i continue taking them. what i got to lose, they're paid for by the insurance.

Comment

I take 10mg per day about 10pm, I only take it to stop leg and foot cramps wjile I am sleeping, can't take it during the day and is make me dopey. was only taking it whne I had been very active during the day but since I have been on Ampyra I ma using muscles I haven't in a while and the cramps became a more regular thing every night.
                Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
                X