Mammogram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mammogram

Went for my annual exam Oct 4th. Week later they called and asked me to come back. They wanted to take more pictures. Radiologist saw something new. I'm scheduled for a biopsy Oct 25th.

He said he just thought it best to be sure there is nothing wrong.

I'm "sick" thinking about it. Like when I was first DX with MS 27 years ago.

Just need some positive thoughts from out there.

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Sorry to hear about your having to get more testing. But it's for the best. I have many friends that went through additional testing/biopsies only to find there were no problems. I also have several friends who did get a cancer diagnosis but are all doing well today having gone through the lumpectomy or masectomy. Some had chemo and radiation, some didn't need it...but they have come a long way in cancer treatment, should you need it.

I knew there were several members of this forum who have had breast cancer, so I did a quick search. Here's a link to an archived thread:
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...=breast+cancer

Comment

Mammogram

I have not had breast cancer but be strong. Don't think bad things, be positive (I had to come back for a 2nd check and it was nothing) Pray!

Comment

Sorry you have to have a biopsy. Try not to worry(I know that's hard to do) Here's hopeing everything will turn out good for you. I just had my mammogram last week and I always worry till I get that letter saying it is ok.

Try to think positive thoughts and here's a big (((HUG)))!

Comment

Hi, I'm sorry you're having to worry about your mammogram, but rest assured, most of the time nothing is found.

My very first mammogram at the age of 39 in 2002 came back abnormal and they scared me to death by sending me to a surgeon, then getting additional films and an ultrasound. I ended up having to have a stereotactic large core biopsy (which was an experience unto itself), but after all of the fear I experienced, the results were normal.

Fast forward to this past January. I found a lump in my right breast and had to have a mammogram, then an ultrasound, and then a biopsy (all on the same day!) Again, there was nothing found but a benign cyst.

Six months later, I had a follow up, but on the ultrasound, it appeared that the area that was biopsied in January had changed and no longer looked like a cyst. The radiologist scared me half to death by telling me that he was afraid that the doctor who did the biopsy in January had not gotten any cells in the sample and that we had gotten a false negative (which meant that he thought it was cancer.) However, another very thorough biopsy showed that the area was benign. I'm waiting now for another follow-up in January, but I'm not worried. (I am, however, going to make an appointment and go in sooner, because I think this cyst is growing. I'm going to ask them just to remove the thing and be done with it.)

It's very common to be called back for further imaging and biopsies. And just as common, they're usually always benign.

Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the positive support. I am thinking positive

I'll keep you all posted as soon as I know the results.

toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

DON'T WORRY

I am sorry to hear about you having to go back for a 2nd test. I had to do the same thing just this past February and I was scared as well. Just replace that FEAR with FAITH and I pray all will be okay. God takes care of us in any situation we may encounter.

God Bless,
              deb

Comment

How are you?

Hello Toot,
                I was just checking to see how things went with the second dr. appt. Hope all is well.
                "Focusing on what I CAN do and not what I can't do."

Comment

Just like everyone before me posted, I certainly hope that everything goes well for you. Please remember that many times the extra imaging and even the biopsy turns out fine for ladies.

I have had a lumpectomy (about 10 years ago) which gave me a scary 6 months. At that time, treating women in a timely manner was 6 months. YIKES is what I thought. When the surgeon removed the lump, the frozen section said benign which was all that was important. He removed it by cutting around the colored area on my right breast so the scar is where the colored area is and you can't see a thing.

I went along for 5 more years with normal mamograms before having another abnormal one. I went back to the hospital this time (rather than an off-site center) for additional views. When they made a ton of pictures, the radiologist came in and told me that I needed not one but probably three biopsies. Yikes again. I talked to my doctor who sent me to a diagnostic center in Atlanta where the technology was available that could remove the questionable tissue without taking your breast. So one afternoon I had 3 sterotactic biopsies. They do not put you to sleep but deaden the area and use computer guided equipment to "suck" out the microcalcifications that I had. I got the lab results 3 weeks later. My insurance company would not allow the doctor to use a local lab so my results took a lot longer. Boo-Hiss on them. The time span from original mammogram to results was 4 months. I was fine but the time frame was long and a time when I worried a lot about life in general.

In April last year, I had another abnormal mammogram. The good thing was that by then the hospital had opened a state of the art screening/diagnostic breast center for women. It is a single point of service where you can get everything done. Yippee. So they called me the next day to tell me and to say I could come back right away for additional views. They did the views and the radiologist came in to tell me that yes I needed another biopsy but he could do it right now. Wow! So I walked down the hall a few doors and he did the sterotactic biopsy and I went home. The NEXT day they called to tell me it was benign. Lab results are done in 24 hours. Period. If it had not been ok, I would have seen one of the breast surgeons in 24 hours.

Now that is the way to care for a women. I now work as a volunteer advocate for the center doing health fairs for women and talking about breast health.

So I have walked the path you are going and have to say that today is a better time to have problems. Better care. Better technology. Better everything.

And most times, it is not cancer. Remember that.

If it is cancer, there is a ton of support out there for you if you look around. You are not alone.

Be sure to let us know how things turn out for you!

Here's a {HUG} for you!

lydialou

Comment

I also wish you only good news.... I was finally diagnosed with MS as I was being treated for Breast Cancer. First, not every lump, pain, or phone call with a nervous Dr/tech means bad news. One of these diagnoses is bad enough without the other. .It makes them hesitate for anything invasive or have more side effects than that would be gained by doing them. It's very important to keep your Neuro doc in the loop. I picked my docs very carefully and they all confer together on my care. I offer my support on many levels, and if you have any questions I might be able to help you with, please let me know!
                    The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Results

The nurse (Rosie) that held my hand during the biopsy (on Monday) called me last night to ask how I was doing. She said she had sent the results to my doctor. I told her my doc was out of the office on Wednesdays, and I was going crazy. Rosie told me NOT to worry. The doc that did the biopsy was very happy with the results and simply recommended having another mammogram in six months. Turns out Rosie knows nurse Arleen, who is head of MS clinic I go to monthly. What a small world. I'm still waiting to talk with my primary doc but I'm NOT worried.

As Rosie walked me out to my car she said "we are now boob friends!"

Thanks for all your support,
                      Toot
                      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

That's wonderful news, Toot!! I'm sure it's a load off of your mind.

Big hugs and a sign of relief,

Lisa
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

YIPPEE

I am so glad that your results are back and there is nothing to worry about! I am sorry you had to wait to find that out. Waiting is for the birds!

lydialou

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all your support. Funny but since I got the results I've been drained. I was scheduled for my "MS recharge" IV Nov 15th but I called and asked to move it up a week to Nov 8th. My get up and go is gone.

I'm sure I'll be back to "normal" next week.

Thanks again for your support,

Toot
                            toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

so happy for you

Glad you got good news.

Comment

Working...
                              X