Called into work today, need some suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called into work today, need some suggestions please

Hi, I need some suggestions please. I had to call into work today because of traveling numbness and weakness on my right side. I work in a nursing home and the past 2 months I have been working either 6:30am to 3 pm and next day work 3pm to 11:30 pm, my sleeping habits are horrible as are my eating habits. I have requested to be just on day shift since that seems to be the best time of the day for me, but they say they need me to do both.
    I only work part time because of the MS and fatigue and I enjoy my job, but I realise that my health is more important. I go see my Neuro. next week and will ask for a note to be on day shift only. I hope work with work with me.
    Any suggestions on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou, and God's Blessing
    LKrue

I personally don't have any advice for you, though I'm sure someone else in the forum will. Just wanted to stop by and sympathize about lousy scheduling. I used to do restaraunt work and they'd do that day/night scheduling crap to me all the time too. Anywho I hope your issue gets resolved soon, I'm not sure that your boss can say no with a doctors note hope not anyways.

~Elly
    I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

By asking you doctor it sound like you have a good plan.

My wife was a LPN nurse at nursing homes for many years, so know how their scheduling people can be. So I feel for you, and hope the doctor’s note works.

When you say horrible eating habits are talking about when you eat or what you eat?
      Because I believe a healthy eating diet does make a big difference in how you feel.

Tara’s Nutrition & supplement Notebook forum has helped me this year a lot.

And recommend don’t trying to change your whole diet at once, that rarely last.
      Just start by doing just one thing, like switching from milk to almond milk or rice milk.
      This is a great time of year to start eating more fruit, with apples being in season.
      And work up to the hard changes, like quitting sodas or candies.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you both, I will check into Tara's Nutrition.
        I am feeling better today, still have the numbness in my right hand, typing is a lot of fun. LOL.
        Have been on the arcade playing some games to help with the feeling in my right hand.

Thank you and God's Blessing

LKrue

Comment

I used to work in the hospital nursing (RN) And they knew I had MS and I would work the 3-11 OR 11-7
          it got to the point that I had to have regular schedule and had to get my sleep and I could not do it on the 11-7 shift so I went to the 3-l1 so I could have a more normal sleep pattern since working days would be hard to get on.(and mornings were better for me as far as strength and stamina)
          I too worked part time due to the MS and having 4 small children at home.

The doctor backed me up on that change.

I would think too that if they do not honor the change that you would like to make that you can say something about the ADA as they have to make reasonable accommodations for your disability sometimes the threat is enough to have them shape up.

Lots of luck!!!

Comment

If you apply for Family Medical Leave (if you haven't already) I believe there is a section in there that asks if there are any restrictions or limitations that would affect your ability to work . if you have your doc fill it out you could ask him to write something in there. If you already have it, ask the doc when you go to renew it.
            -Good luck

Comment

Intermittant Leave

After I was dx'd my human resources department suggested I be on this kind of leave. I was on an early shift and as soon as I could tell in the morning that this was not a good day I emailed my supervisor that I was not coming in.
              Finally my eye sight got so bad I couldn't drive and work enough hours to qualify for health care coverage. This was gradual enough we could plan ahead and get me on my husbands during open enrollment.
              techie
              Another pirated saying:
              Half of life is if.
              When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
              Dogs Rule!

Comment

Ive been pretty fortunate that my employers (been on SSDI for last year and a half and home a year before that) were usually good about working with me, but my second to last employer was very unfriendly with my scheduling.

I was a level 1 fire tech and was trained to preform fire safety inspections onsite for various businesses and I also programmed and installed Fire Supression Systems and Security Systems onsite and on Oil Rigs in Cook Inlet and around Alaska. To get to these rigs we had to wear Mustang Suits and fly on Helicopters and spend a day on these rigs over pretty nasty waters. I have bad balance and my gait is off, and I self cath, all of which were impossible to accomodate for on these trips. So I asked to be taken off the rotation on going, but as this was a huge part of my job I had to get Dr notes stating the concerns.

I also lived 10 blocks from office so on nights the systems we monitored tripped I was the one expected to go in and deal with the companies we used and the customers who paid us. As I got worse it was harder and harder to get up at the drop of a hat and go in. I broached this with my boss, who knew of MS when he hired me, and got a "Well, the thing is..." speech.

I got a note from my Neuro and got information from the ADA website and formulated a plan that ment he would agree with my logic regarding my health, value to the company and the safety concerns for on site work and the heavy equipment we used, or he would disagree and I would present him with the ADA information and make the threat to contact them as they were aware of MS. He agreed with my logic and I found ways to lighten the load in the office for those who traded responsabilities with me.

Get your plan together, get a note and any info that the ADA website can offer to help you strengthen your position for when you do broach the subject with your boss. Like I say with Dr's, Its best to be over prepared with your information and not need it than to be caught empty handed and lose the battle because of it.
                I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad; The dreams in which Im dying are the best I've ever had.

Comment

Thankyou

Thankyou everyone. I'm going to take all the suggestions and work with them.
                  I'm having a better day today. Will go to the Dr. Wednesday.

LKrue

Comment

I have been put on a intermittent leave (FMLA) My doctor wrote just enough on it as he said it's better not to over explain things. My main issue is with severe fatigue and sometimes weakness. So I may miss 1 to 4 hours a week or none at all. As long as I can do my job this covers my absense so I don't have to go get an excuse everytime. I usually putter out about 3pm and it's a stuggle. I work 7am
                    to 4pm. Having this Intermittent leave has removed some of the pressure off me as I want my job, I think it covers 12 weeks in a year. So you may want to look into this.

Comment

Brenda,

Thankyou I will check into FMLA. I will talk to my Dr. on Wednesday when I go.

LKrue

Comment

Please keep in mind that FMLA leave time is limited to 12 weeks of unpaid leave a year. If you personally have a medical issue and you feel that a reasonable change in the way you perform your job would make it easier for you to perform, it may be better for you to ask for an ADA accommodation instead of using your FMLA time. Examples of reasonable accommodations include changes in work schedules, telecommuting, adjusting the way certain tasks are performed or not performing them at all, etc. Should your employer refuse to grant your reasonable request, you may have an ADA claim. In short, if you take FMLA leave you will be missing work due to your illness, but if you ask for an ADA accommodation you will still be able to continue to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X