Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a standard protocol when conducting MRIs for possible MS dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a standard protocol when conducting MRIs for possible MS dx?

I'm a long time MSer but it's been some time since I had MRIs for confirmation of dx. My first and subsequent MRIs were and always have been with and without contrast. A friend just had an MRI for purposes of confirming or eliminating from consideration a possible DX of MS. She states they only perofrmed one without contrast. Does the NMMS recommend having both? WHy would a doc only run one without?

The General Protocol

Is with and without contrast. My first and all my MRIs have been done that way. The only reason to do the initial one without contrast would be having an allergy to the contrast dye or allergy to iodine.

Comment

Contrast differentiates between old, inactive lesions and new, active lesions. An MRI without contrast is all that's necessary to find evidence of MS. There's nothing that's going to show up with contrast that won't show up without.

Doing the MRI without contrast eliminates the possibility that the person might have an allergic or other bad reaction to the contrast dye when that risk isn't necessary for the diagnosis.

Differentiating between old and new lesions gives a better picture of the status of the person's MS, but isn't necessary for the mere act of establishing the presence of lesions, which is needed for diagnosis.

Comment

Working...
      X