Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone

Hi everyone,

On 15th Sept this year I was diagnosed with MS, although it is thought I have actually had it since the mid 80's. My neurologist started me out on 4 days of IV Solu-Medrol and added in daily Copaxone shots. At first I felt pretty good after the IV, but am starting to get some pain back. When I had my last doctor visit I saw his PA who told me I could probably stop the Copaxone after a month. I have been given a prescription for 6 months, and everything I have read seems to indicate that it takes a while for it to work and become effective.

I would prefer to go along with what my neurologist has suggested, but should I listen to his PA? I'd appreciate your advice!

Thanks, Wendy

stop the copaxone after a month? seems kinda strange to me i would ask your neuro and see what he says

Comment

Hi Wendy,
      I don't really understand why your PA would want to stop you so soon. Medications like Copaxone don't help with MS symptoms. Their job is to hopefully slow down disease progression.

Unless you are having a lot of flare-ups or new symptoms, or have an MRI that shows new lesions, or lesion activity, there is no way to really know that Copaxone is not working for you.

If it were me (and I'm not a doctor for sure) I'd give it a little more time unless you feel you're getting a lot worse. I hope you feel better soon. Jade

Comment

Thanks!

I thought it was strange too. I have had an MRI which showed lesions, we don't know how long they have been there so there is a plan to repeat the MRI later this year or early next. I have been in a flare up for at least a year, I have also been diagnosed with a connective tissue disease and thought that was causing all the problems until I realized I could no longer balance on one leg and was so dizzy I couldn't look left or right - hence the MRI to see what was going on.

I think I need more than a month on the Copaxone to be honest, and although I felt better initially after the steroids I am starting to feel crap again, headaches, dizzy, tired etc.

Thanks for the help/advice. I am still trying to adjust to all this!!

Comment

maybe I got it all wrong.Or they changed what meds are to be used to treat. things do change and I surley dont know everything.

Thats just weird to stop Copaxone in a month? its not for the NOW its made to slow progression- its for the Future.

or like the other person mentioned it does not treat symptoms like pain, but it may help train your T cells to not attack and possibly mend the brain some damage.

I think steroids are for the inflammation and other drugs are used for more symptoms like fatigue and stiffness,bladder control and so on.

Comment

Copaxone

I know the steroids were for the inflammation and from everything I have read I know Copaxone is used to try and prevent the disease from progressing, so it doesn't make sense to stop it after one month. I think I am going to stay with it, I have been feeling so bad for so long I want to stop this in its tracks!

Comment

Hi Wendy

Just to let you know, this thread will be moved to the Medications Forum. There's some good info there about the various DMD's.

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X