COLD feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COLD feet!

Do you have cold feet? Mine feel like they are freezing all the time, no matter the temperature. Summer, Winter, all year 'round. The only relief I get is soaking in a tub of hot water. Sometimes wearing thick socks helps for awhile, but not long. I'm wondering if it's the MS, the type 2 diabetes, or a combination. Thanks for any suggestions.
    ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

COLD FEET?---That's a big 10-4!! Mine are always cold too, the left one more- that is my weaker side. And COLD HANDS!! Wow--talk about an ice cube!

I don't even like to accidently touch my arm with my cold hands! It' strange, that's for sure. I microwave those heat packs and use them alot. Sometimes during the winter I even wear thin gloves to bed, and socks too.

And I also warm up my side of the bed before I get in it during the colder months. Even before I started having ms sx I always tended to at least have cold feet!

Comment

I can feel how cold my feet are through the super thick sport socks I'm wearing right now.

On one hand, they can hurt, sometimes... so I'll take something like a soda bottle and fill it with hot water and keep my feet on it.

On the other hand, cold feet make great weapons if you can get them touching the "enemy's" back.

[insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

I might actually have an answer for this one... There's an autoimmune disease called Reynaud's Syndrome that causes blood vessels (usually in your hands/feet) to constrict. Technically - and why my doctor insists I don't have it - your hands and feet are supposed to go from normal color to red to white. Mine just go straight to white... and feel cold a good amount of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if that might be appearing alongside the MS. (I don't know about anyone else, but my MS seems to have triggered the other autoimmune diseases I knew I had and a few I didn't know about).

The good news is that there are some great solutions (but no medical treatment, except for one really untested medication). First of all, avoid cold! You'll be set off by cold weather, putting your hands in the freezer, etc. Don't forget to bundle up. I own ski socks that I practically live in all winter. And look into other warming devices. I use the gloves with the fingertips cut off to type, handwarmers when I'm outside shoveling. It all helps.
        Good luck!

Comment

I am usually at one extreme or the other. I have freezing cold feet when I climb into bed, and then I wake up a little later and they feel like they are burning up. They are either really cold or really hot. My hands are almost always cold no matter what I do - even in summer. I try to keep them around a hot tea most of the day at work . . .

I preheat my bed this time of year by turning on the electric blanket an hour or so before I climb in. Plan to put the flannel sheets on this weekend, too.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
            I might actually have an answer for this one... There's an autoimmune disease called Reynaud's Syndrome that causes blood vessels (usually in your hands/feet) to constrict.
            I have this and so does my dad, brother and son, none of who have MS. Was told that it's genetic. I have had it way before I had any MS sx and it affects my hands and nose as well.

I avoid being in the cold at all costs if I can help it!! I warm up one of those pillow in the microwave and take it to bed with me. Warm socks and gloves are a must and yes, soaking them in hot water like you.

I also don't like shaking anyone's hands - I've shocked people before lol
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sometimes

Mine usually overheat. I have to wear socks because I fell like I have better balance in them. When I shower I have to be careful of the temperature because sometimes cold water is painful.
              Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

ALWAYS

I wear socks to bed 365 days. Then I'll wake up and they are sweating and I have to take them off. Even in the hot, humid weather - My toes are freezing. I'm on the look out for a nose mitten. My nose is ice cold very often. I'm forever putting the back of my hand to my nose to warm it up. My hands aren't as bad. My nose really bopthers me. I haven't shared this with any Dr.s yet.

Comment

Cold feet

I always have cold feet and hands. There's a cream called Healthifeet that increases circulation. I heard about it on The Doctors TV show. I've used it a few times and it seems to help.

Comment

Same...but different

My feet have nights where they FEEL like they're frozen solid. The first few times it happened I was afraid to roll over and get my cold feet near my wife, then one night my feet touched her and I apologized. She said "What are you sorry for?"

I reached down and touched by feet and they were warm and toasty, but in my mind they FELT like they were frozen in a block of ice. It happens from time to time, winter or summer. Wrapping them up in heating blankets don't make any difference, my mind is convinced they're frozen solid.

My doc says it's scrambled nerves. I say it's just goofy.

Comment

Cold Hands and Feet too!

My hands and feet get cold or sometimes they get hot...it is hard to figure out.

Now in the winter at bedtime, my feet are usually ice cold. Recently, I purchased from the Vermont Country Store a hot water bottle. I fill it in the bathroom before bed and it warms up my feet. Lately, the rest of my body has been cold, so I put up against me until I am warm. There is also a fleece cover for the bottle; it was on back order, but supposedly is just shipped.

However, due to my "season" in life, I can go to sleep cold but wake up HOT! My husband will touch me and say "you are burning up"...so basically my body temperature is all over the place.

Comment

Cold Feet No Fun..

Yes, lately my feet have starting getting cold and nothing helps..Socks does not...The strange this is when I touch them they do not feel cold.....By reading everyone comments it seems it is just another wonderful thing we have to live with..
                        The joys and sorrows of MS>>>> which includes a lot of grumbles and oh me and oh well....LOL.
                        Hugs, and Blessings....

Comment

I use FLANEL sheets a lot. Even used them last summer in FLA! A/C on for room temp and flannel sheet plus blanket to keep me more comfortable..wierd!

Cold feet are not new to me, been an issue for many decades. back in the early 80s I ahd a thermal (silver) blanket I put on the bed. It reflected HEAT which helped my feet. Problem is more the feet and they are cold again till the heat reflector took effect. I placed it under the bed sheet.

I found that by eating more before bed helps warm me up. Just last week I did an experiment, I ate more than usual before bed and was toasty..TOO warm actually, wierd?

Note: I also run a lower than usual body temp. I am looking for a replacement thermostat, anyone know where I can find one, my body is asking..........lol

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

like seasha, i have reynauds too (2 sisters, an uncle and cousin too), my wife tells me she doesn`t think my feet would melt ice. a co worker used to say i had the hands of a dead person!
                            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                            volunteer
                            MS World
                            hunterd@msworld.org
                            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                            X